GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last bike, an "03" I had a Roady XM on my handle bar with the antenna right there and rarely lost a signal. Now on my 2010 with XM built in, I loose the signal every time there is trees near the side of the road. The Roady only lost a signal in a tunnel of trees, but this factory XM looses the signal way too often. Is it normal or is my radio malfunctioning? Can I move the anetenna to a better spot on the bike? If so, what do you recommend.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not sure on the hook up for the '10 but I installed a 'motorcycle' XM antana from Amazon on my 03 that drastically improved the reception over the old Roady hockey puck.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Not sure on the hook up for the '10 but I installed a 'motorcycle' XM antana from Amazon on my 03 that drastically improved the reception over the old Roady hockey puck.
That won't work on a factory XM system unless he could find the antenna and splice it in some kind of way.

I don't know were the factory antenna is on the bike and I doubt it could be moved even if you find it. The antenna for the GPS is right above the speedometer so I would think it is some were around there.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I've had the exact same issues past and present. Ya ain't the Lone Ranger !!

·
Vendor
22,228 Posts
The XM reception on the 09/10 bikes is very poor. I thought I saw something in the literature for the 2012 that indicated they had added another antenna for either the GPS or XM, but I only see one antenna for the GPS and one for the XM on the 2012 wire diagram.

Personally, I think part of the problem is the connectors. The small signal from the XM and GPS antennas have to pass through 3 separate connectors, and I would expect there is a loss in each one.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Same problem here lose signal all the time. When my free trail is up i will fine an alternative. Already have the iphone hooked up works nice can access my digital library from home. Use the Tomtom navi app also better then the navi system that come with the wing.:agree:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the same issue as well. What I don't understand is how I can lose the signal from a few trees or an overpass, yet when I travel under the runway(I-285, about 1/4 mile long) at the ATL airport, with no view of the sky I never lose the signal?:shrug:

It's a small inconvenience but overall I'm happy with the service.

Mark

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I have the same issue as well. What I don't understand is how I can lose the signal from a few trees or an overpass, yet when I travel under the runway(I-285, about 1/4 mile long) at the ATL airport, with no view of the sky I never lose the signal?:shrug:

It's a small inconvenience but overall I'm happy with the service.

Mark
What I've gathered from my experience is tha there is a built in delay. Sorta like what the ydo on a CD to deal with vibration.

Basically, it stores several seconds in advance of playing it, and when it loses a signal for a few seconds, it catches up and then starts buffering again.

When going through trees, or mountains, or between buildings, it can't maintain enough signal to catch up so you get cut outs.

I'm probably wrong, but that's my best guess based on 30,000 miles of experimentation.

·
Vendor
22,228 Posts
XM uses ground based repeater stations in many high traffic areas that are shaded. There probably is one in or near the tunnel you go through.

I rode across Independence Pass in Colorado this year, and it never lost a signal one time. But if I ride under a single tree in Arkansas it looses signal. I suspect there is a repeater station near Aspen or on Independence pass.

http://wiggum.glorb.com/xmrepeaters.pdf

·
Vendor
22,228 Posts
Can the 10 foot antenna wire of the magnetic puck be cut and shortened?
I don't know. Sometimes antenna wire lengths are tuned to a resonant freq to help reduce signal loss. I don't know enough about how the XM antenna works internally to say if it would affect it or not. It seems like a better location for it would be in the top of the trunk instead of under the dash. This way you would have a shorter lead without so many connectors in it's path. But every XM antenna I have ever seen comes with a really long wire, so maybe they need it to be that long? I guess the only way to find out would be to do some experimentation with it.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Can the 10 foot antenna wire of the magnetic puck be cut and shortened?
I had to repair one that had been cut up by a lawnmower last year. It did work fine afterwards.

At least the client did not complain.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I have XM on my '09 and also in my pickup and the wife's SUV and since the merger I've noticed I lose the signal quite a bit in all of them. The Wing worked fine until then. It's probably a combination with the bike and XM

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
My 10 lost signal a lot. My 90 day trial is up and i dont plan on renewing it. Dont listen to radio much anymore it just becomes a racket after a bit. I just enjoy the surroundings and clear the mind of all the bull crap going in the world. Plus i dont want to or (have to) put up with XMs customer service BS.

·
Registered
428 Posts
XM

I have a Roady in my left pocket with the antenna mounted center dash. The dropped signals are not the Roady OR the antenna, it is XM itself. FREQUENTLY I get dropped signals and the unit says I need to call the 800 number and have the signal reset. I call XM and they reset the signal and it works again for a few days.

I'm now including my XM signal in my pre-ride check. What a pain.!!!!!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
On my last bike, an "03" I had a Roady XM on my handle bar with the antenna right there and rarely lost a signal. Now on my 2010 with XM built in, I loose the signal every time there is trees near the side of the road. The Roady only lost a signal in a tunnel of trees, but this factory XM looses the signal way too often. Is it normal or is my radio malfunctioning? Can I move the anetenna to a better spot on the bike? If so, what do you recommend.
I have the XM with the external antenna and when there are tall trees, buildings, carports, tunnels etc. it stops for a while. The sat. has to have a clear line to the antenna, even a hand over it will block it. Don't sweat the small stuff.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
XM is old school... look at pandora on your phone service I have close to 10000 miles using mine between my MP3 player and pandora usage. Less than 30 min that I could not use because of no phone service in remote New Mexico.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
If you don't have or need a smartphone, no Pandora. I have it at home (computer) but without a smartphone, not available on the go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts