GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost another phone to a pothole. Who makes a good phone mount ! Don't say X-Grip ! @#$%^&*:crying:

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Not to be a "smart arz" here: BUT I leaned to keep my phone in my belt case.......(or pocket).................Due to the same reason!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Lost another phone to a pothole. Who makes a good phone mount ! Don't say X-Grip ! @#$%^&*:crying:
I use an X-Grip and have never lost a phone. Do you use the rubber stretch tie on the corners that is provided with the X-Grip? Not that I think X-Grip is the ultimate phone holder, it isn't. The phone has a tendency to vibrate, but it stays put.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
I use an X-Grip and have never lost a phone. Do you use the rubber stretch tie on the corners that is provided with the X-Grip? Not that I think X-Grip is the ultimate phone holder, it isn't. The phone has a tendency to vibrate, but it stays put.
It's would put a rubber band over x mount for safty Galaxy S2 But any larger phone like my Note 3 forget it and throw it right out of there I don't know the brand name I have but the entire phone slips in a three-sided metal slot Chrome and then mounted to the handlebars with your typical ways I got mine from a private guy Daytona Bike Show by speedway it is frustrating thing man good luck

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
I do see how you could possibly lose a phone with the X if you use the corner bands. I also have radar detector on an X, the bands do not fit it, so I put hook material on the center of the X and loop on the bottom of the radar -- its going nowhere. Inside clothing or inside the cycle's pocket makes the phone screen pretty much useless, but Siri and Apple CarPlay can make it work that way.

prs

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I put a strip of Velcro on the back of my phone (soft fuzzy side) and one on the center portion of the X-Grip (hook side). Before that I had several close calls. Since I added the Velcro no issues.

Even works great with my wife’s bigger phone on her Harley trike. Never an issue.

I think it’s easier and more convenient than the rubber band thingy.

Make sure you super glue on the rubber holders too.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Do you use the rubber stretch tie on the corners that is provided with the X-Grip?
For the first few years the X-Grips were marketed, they did NOT come with the 'web grip'. I know - I bought two of them that way.

I bought an aftermarket 'web grip' on eBay - actually, I bought two. If one breaks, I have the other as backup.

The version I purchased was red and it's very easy to glance at it and confirm it's gripping all four corners of the phone.

Search for "Texel WebGrip"

·
Registered
516 Posts
X grips w/velcro in the middle of grip and back of phone, also put a little gorilla glue on the inside of rubber grippers so they don’t slide off.
I say I have at least 70k miles with this set up and no problem.
I use a IPhone plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Go to the "Step by Step" section and look at the thread about "The best phone holder" by revrunt. I've used his setup and haven't had a problem, ever. And, it's inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Go to the "Step by Step" section and look at the thread about "The best phone holder" by revrunt. I've used his setup and haven't had a problem, ever. And, it's inexpensive.
What he said....

That Ulanzi st-02 is the best phone holder I've seen. Not sure would I called it inexpensive (once you add up all the Ram parts) but it is bulletproof.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use the X. One time I did not use the rubber stretch tether and but for the power cord and plug it would have fallen. Since using the tether-no problems. I have a large Note 9 so the tether is tight.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
The TACKFORM Motorcycle Mount that can be found on Amazon for $29 is my choice. I have been using it to hold my iPhone 7 Plus for over a year and the phone does not budge even a little bit. It is similar to the mount in revrunt's post...except that it uses a heavy duty spring to hold the phone in place. It also use's the same type of 1 inch ball mounting system.

They include a rubber tether, but I don't use it cause I have no fear that my $800 phone is ever coming out of there! Another thing that I like about it is the very clean, simple look. I previously used the X-Grip, but I didn't like the look or reading about all the phones that have been lost by using it. I used the same mount that came with the X....just replace the holder.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
X grip.

thanks for the input guys. Have an S9 Gallaxy and I did use a rubber o ring around the phone and holder. I will try the velcro in addition to that. I have an early X grip and I don't think the springs are strong enough.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
X grip alone is an accident waiting to happen.

X grip with the rubber spider web is very solid but a PITA to use.

When I left the X grip world, I hacked a RAM ball onto the back of the belt holster that I never use, that came with the Otterbox Defender case for my phone. Very secure, easy in & out, a couple of years and many bumps under my belt. I did it because it's what I had laying around, but in retrospect, I'd do it again.

If I were to start from scratch again in a world where I had no belt clip thing, I think I'd go with @revrunt's ulanzi.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
X grips w/velcro in the middle of grip and back of phone, also put a little gorilla glue on the inside of rubber grippers so they don’t slide off.
I say I have at least 70k miles with this set up and no problem.
I use a IPhone plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did the same thing, but still not 100% confident in it, I still secure it with a small bungie if traveling rough roads like Washington DC!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have not tried them, but iOmounts by Klock Werks looks tempting. I use magnetics at work and they can be mighty powerful.

But I confess, I have my phone in my jacket pocket or in my lockable storage compartment. If I'm riding, I do not need to answer the phone.

Bluetooth would be the safest and most reliable method, if audio is all you were using the phone for.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
What kind of potholes are you talking about? We have potholes here in Illinois and especially Chicago that will knock the fillings out of your teeth.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts