GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was traveling In Montana last week and stopped for Lunch
My bike and trailer was covered with black oil!!
The seal had failed and trashed the rear end.

Any others having problems like this. :( :(

Lucky enought to have some friens in GWRRA that sent me a used
rear end and I was back on the road in 24 hours.

If you are ever in Great Falls, Montana go to Sport-Cyclery Honda Shop
they will take good care of you

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2005 with 27000 miles, serviced every 3000 miles. Last week my final drive started to leak a little oil, took to the honda dealer and was told that the seals in the rear are bad. So mine is in the shop right now to get the seals replaced.

Mark

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
yes a few more details would b nice

the problem is rare but it does happen, plenty of spare parts available cheap from trike conversions, if it was mine it would b covered under warranty, i wouldn't really care if they put in new or used parts as long as they fixed it

had been considering replacing mine but have decided to just leave it alone, all seems well at 153,000 smiles

B

·
0 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 2004 GL1800 that has been ridden <20,000 miles. I noticed an accumulation of grease and dirt at the rear drive and took it to my dealer to have the seal replaced under warranty.

The dealer said that the rear drive fluid level hadn't dropped, so the problem was most likely a small amount of lubricant that escaped through the breather - perhaps moisture boiling off and taking a bit of lubricant with it.

I cleaned the rear drive unit, and the problem has occurred again. The dealer still contends that it isn't leaking.

My eyeballs tell me that it is leaking, and the dealer won't do anything about it even though my bike is under warranty.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Easy enough. Next time it's greasy, suck some out of the gear case and take it back to show them. Two can play at that game!!!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Mine started very early on with the accumulation of grime, but around 30,000 it was showing signs of slinging oil after a days ride. Not having a great deal of faith in most repair shops I replaced it with one from a 06 trike conversion. I think there are far more out there with this condition, it's just that some aren't getting down there to look. This might be a good wake up call.
It is kinda disheartening to see, since that has always been the one thing on the metric bikes that never seem to have a problem. Well at least in the big picture.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Mine is on it's way out. Growls and vibrates all the time.

Hope to make it till snow starts to fly before I tear it down.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Neil-in-Seattle lost his in his '02 at about 145k this summer. It was replaced with a trike take-off.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I guess BMWs aren't the only ones to loose rear ends. Just more proof that they're all machines made by man that can break.

·
Registered
228 Posts
OH, CRAP :shock: The wing is turning into a K1200LT :22yikes:

That final drive thing is the main reason I chose the wing over the BMW. After riding it, though, I know there's a lot of reasons why I chose / would choose the wing over the 1200LT, but this final drive stuff can't be happening. :cry:

Oh, well, my 2002 has passed two frame recalls and pretty much has been trouble-free. Maybe this, too, shall pass me by.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine failed a couple of weeks ago. '03 w/51k miles. The left bearing cage came apart and cut the seal out of the housing. Dealer gave me a final drive from an '06 that was triked. Had used Amsoil synthetic from day one. Sure hope this one does better.

Buck in NE Arkansas

·
Registered
121 Posts
mine is an 06, my rear seals started leaking, and had to be replaced at around 3,000 miles, has 12,000 now and still ok.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My final drive bearings went @ 149,000 miles and blew the seals out. Oil all over the rear wheel and brakes. This was discovered exiting the freeway off-ramp going around a curve.

Not fun!

Replaced under warranty. Honda know's they have a problem.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Exactly which seal is failing?

BikerMike you can put some dye in your rear end and then when it starts leaking you can see if thats where its coming from.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Coulda been worse, you could have a BMW..

The Rest Of The Story

Now I have a wing with a rumbling FD and a BMW with a rear wheel cigarette lighter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts