GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Yesterday started with a goal of removing the handlebar risers. Due to whomever put them on my used 2007 VIIA overtightening them, I stripped out the head on the Kury pan allen head trying to remove it. As a result I had to drill it out / easy out/ etc. and to protect my left speaker, I removed it. I finished the job and got the bars back on to the stock position and quit for the day. Surely putting it back together will be a breeze right....:thumbup:

Upon trying to reassemble it all today I found that the top left (if facing) rubber encased speaker nut which is either glued or press fit onto the back of the speaker bracket had fallen off and dropped inside the speaker box. No problem, I just fished it out of the deep speaker box and put it back. Then I began to mount the speaker again, and this time, another on of these nuts fell off. :? (starting to get mad now) :?

However upon trying to retrieve this one, it simply wasn't in the speaker box base. I dug and dug and figured out that it must have fallen through the hole the speaker wires are routed up through. :shrug:. Well I huffed and I puffed and I looked for over an hour for this darn thing before giving up and deciding it was time to learn to take the top shelter off. Of course the intended purpose was to find the stupid rubber encased speaker nut! :roll:

Well I've got the top shelter off and have decided to change the air filter while here. (13K on bike) BUT I STILL CAN'T FIND THE DARN SPEAKER NUT!!!!!!:evil:

I share this journey because I'm sure others out there have been in the same one where you only intended spending a couple hours doing maintenance before riding and now have found your entire weekend has been consumbed by unintended tasks.

ALSO I hope that someone might have a suggestion of where else to look to find this darn nut and of course lastly, if anyone has a suggestion for a replacement method as there is no way to get your hand behind as you mound the speaker. I've though of the slide on nut adapter but the box would have to be cut to fit that. I JUST WANT TO FIND THE STUPID SPEAKER NUT!!!!!

Back to the garage for more fun as I finish up the air cleaner...unintended part of this job! :frown:

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problem, can definitely be irritating and drive a pious man to drink.

However, don't know if this might help - I've lost a few nuts in and around speakers and other things that are magnetic. May sound simple, but have you fully looked and felt around the speaker magnet? Sometimes what you think has gone bye-bye is actually stuck on the magnet.

Hope you're this lucky, otherwise time to look in the metric spare parts bin.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts