GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone had a noise in final drive on aGL1800. the noise sounds like abearing or gear howl mostly on coast. loudest at about 40 mph. gets louder as the bike gets warmed up. it is related to road speed not gear selection. it started almost as soon as i got bike. has about 2000 mi. now and has gotten lowder. can even hear it at highway speeds,75 mph.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Have you checked the fluid level?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Sounds like a trip to the dealer for warr work.

:yw1:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had a noise sort of like that shortly after I got my bike, turned out to be the driveshaft boot. It came loose, and was rubbing on the U-Joint. Covered by warranty.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I don't suppose you're hearing tire noise by chance? Depending on the condition of the tires they can make a similar noise.?????????

·
Registered
824 Posts
Mike, don't mess around with it. Take it to the dealer. Several possibilities, some could be dangerous to your safety!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to all thanks.

i have checked the gear oil ,the boot, the tires are new. it's going in anyway for the frame fix anyway soon. had a couple dealers ride it they said it was normal. i don't think so. will put more pressure on them. thanks.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Mike,
I have heard some noise from my drive. I think some noise is normal due the lash. I notice some play when riding with no load on the drive. Ride slowly with minimum throttle. If you hear the noise at this time I think it may be lash noise. Compare yours to a friends and press the dealer if necessary.

If several dealers have said all is OK it likely is. All of us experienced strange noises when our Wings were new. The root cause comes from sitting atop a 1800cc engine and you and it riding behind a wind screen. You will adjust to the noises. We all have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts