GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were in Galena Il this weekend, so were alot of other people. This morning in a downtown cafe for breakfast the owner and some locals were talking about loud pipes and what the town was going to do about it. I asked him about it and sounds like the town is getting ready to do something about it. For you that haven't been there Galena is a river town the main street sits down in front of a bluff and is narrow with tall biuldings so you can imagine the noise a loud motorcycle makes.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It wouldn't bother me even one little bit if Big Brother swooped in and confiscated every da*n drag pipe on the USofA.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
They BETTER not do that!!!

Loud Pipes saves Lives.don't they?.

If they stop the loud pipes,then who will clean up the dead people after they stop the loud pipes on that narrow street. :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:
Someone is libel to trip over the dead people now,don't cha tink?.:eek:4:

·
Love The DCT
12,182 Posts
We were in Galena Il this weekend, so were alot of other people. This morning in a downtown cafe for breakfast the owner and some locals were talking about loud pipes and what the town was going to do about it. I asked him about it and sounds like the town is getting ready to do something about it. For you that haven't been there Galena is a river town the main street sits down in front of a bluff and is narrow with tall biuldings so you can imagine the noise a loud motorcycle makes.
Did you stop by Poopy's in Savanna, IL? :doorag:

·
Registered
999 Posts
We've been in Galena a number of times, the last thing they are worried about is loud pipes, trust me. Now, up the road in Stillwater, MN is another matter. The LEO's their should enforce the law, stupid loud pipes are annoying in a gorgeous setting on a nice spring/summer/fall night.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I too respect a nice throaty engine rumble. That said there is a big difference in throaty and many of the bikes that I hear on the road. It really is unfortunate.

I've heard a number of people make statements like "well if they aren't going to see me, at least they will hear me". While I appreciate the theory, unfortunately most of them are not audio engineers (I'm not an audio engineer either, but am smart enough to allow my experience influence my decisions). Otherwise they would understand that they will hear you only when it is too late to make any impact.

Many locales already have laws in effect to limit the sound level of bikes (even more than other vehicles) , it is just going to become a matter of enforcement. We'll likely end up with more legislation rather than simple enforcement, but that somethingof ththe world we live in today, sadly ...

Jason

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I have been to Galena and been to Poopy's too. I just don't get it. Love the roads in the area, why do you need to be a prick and annoy people with your "look at me I can't ride worth a damn" piece of butt jewelry.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I wonder if ten years from now if they are going to sell mufflers for your underwear. Loud farts are offensive, that is noise pollution.

If I was young I would give consideration to the development of fart mufflers.

Maybe a small gas mask sold as an accessory. Might become a Fortune 500 company. :roll:

·
Registered
815 Posts
@Steve - not trying to pick a fight, but you've nailed the differrence. As the loud pipe owner it is up to you where to spent your money. As people who can hear, we don't have a choice as to whether or not to listen to you.

There is a big difference between nice sounding pipes and rediculously loud pipes. I don't know which yours were.

If you can come up with the equivalent method for people who don't like them to not hear them, then it's fair.

Just my opinion:doorag:

Jason

·
Love The DCT
12,182 Posts
I wonder if ten years from now if they are going to sell mufflers for your underwear. Loud farts are offensive, that is noise pollution.

Maybe a small gas mask sold as an accessory. Might become a Fortune 500 company. :roll:
I believe these undies have some kind of a fart silencer plus the added benefit of eliminating the oder. Don't know if it would become a Fortune 500 company or not. Not too long ago on Shark Tank, an older couple presented their company that makes underwear that contains activated carbon to absorb the smell. There were no takers in the Shark Tank. Don't know if this was the company or not. :doorag:

http://www.under-tec.com/undertec2g.php

·
Registered
297 Posts
Loud

People that are offended by loud pipes can also take their money down the road.
Wrong attitude.
That would mean that the thumping car stereos blasting rap can tear it up or take their money down the road. Obnoxiously loud is obnoxiously loud and some of the bikes, are just plain obnoxious..

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am a retired Illinois PO and writing tickets for loud pipes was one of my favs, I have to say. On the open road I can deal with them - and ride with them - as my buddy has an HD with them.
But in town - and ours has a quaintish Main street downtown, the sound reverbs off the building and it is obnoxious, rude, off putting, unnecessary and illegal.
I never did buy the argument of 'loud pipes saves lives.' As I told my buddy - who was also a cop - 'why does the insecure projection of your ego necessitate hurting my ears.' He just grins and, listens to my GL1800 humm and says, 'hey, I think your sewing machine is on.'
;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am a retired Illinois PO and writing tickets for loud pipes was one of my favs, I have to say. On the open road I can deal with them - and ride with them - as my buddy has an HD with them.
But in town - and ours has a quaintish Main street downtown, the sound reverbs off the building and it is obnoxious, rude, off putting, unnecessary and illegal.
I never did buy the argument of 'loud pipes saves lives.' As I told my buddy - who was also a cop - 'why does the insecure projection of your ego necessitate hurting my ears.' He just grins and, listens to my GL1800 humm and says, 'hey, I think your sewing machine is on.'
;)
sounds like the loud noise is coming from you

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many towns have an engine brake enforcement so I'm sure they will use the same decibel level for loud pipes. On the road I can live with most of them but in a town like Galena and many others like them it's just plain annoying. Don't like loud stero's either. I will say that the noise level wasn't bad at all on Sat. We did stop for ice cream and a guy had a custom bike, S&S motor straight pipes it was loud.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

A good idea. But you must also go GREEN and make them filter out the harmful gases to protect the ozone.:joke:

·
Registered
19 Posts
GREAT IDEA!! can we also ban "safety chrome" led lights and cup holders? or do we only support banning that which we dont have or like? dont get me wrong im no fan of loud pipes either but I personally have had my fill of big brother constantly making laws because someone else might get offended

·
Registered
271 Posts
A good idea. But you must also go GREEN and make them filter out the harmful gases to protect the ozone.:joke:
I've been thinking about inventing a cushion for deer hunters. When they cut one it would snort like a buck. I could also sell it to NASCAR fans and would call it a RESTRICTOR PLATE.

·
Registered
201 Posts
great idea!! Can we also ban "safety chrome" led lights and cup holders? Or do we only support banning that which we dont have or like? Dont get me wrong im no fan of loud pipes either but i personally have had my fill of big brother constantly making laws because someone else might get offended
amen

·
Banned
350 Posts
I am not a big fan of government but loud pipes can harm the the sport. Often seen on Harley's and sport bikes zooming through neighborhoods disturbing the peace and being just plain disrespectful.

I'll take the few disrespectful riders with the noise over government's solution (whatever that might be)

1 - 20 of 161 Posts