GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 is going through the stock Dunlops pretty fast. I have just under 5,000 miles on the bike and both tires are in need of replacement. The front is cupped really badly. Has plenty of tread in the middle, but down to the wear bars on the cornering surfaces. The rear is down to the wear bars.

My bike is a six speed manual, standard model. So it is lighter than the Tour and DCT, and I ride solo without much in the bags. I do ride almost exclusively in the high Sierra on very twisty and often rather rough roads, and I ride pretty fast.

Still I marvel at the folks reporting 10-15k miles on DTC Tours that are heavily loaded. You guys must be much better riders than me.

Oh, I do keep the pressures at the recommended 36F/41R.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My stock tires are not Dunlops so I can’t comment on them. As you state that you ride “on very twisty...rough roads...ride fast” then you should expect reduced milage out of the tires. It’s not a sport bike nor does it handle like one but when you push a heavy bike you should expect tire wear like a sport bike. I have roughly the same mileage and my front looks almost new. I replaced the rear already (nail) so that one does not count.

Reactions: FJRPilot

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I changed from 10% Ecomomy/85% Touring/5% Sport mode to 85% Economy/14% Touring/1% Sport mode on my DCT, I doubled my mileage.

You should get a similar result on your manual by lowering your shifting points and less throttle while accelerating.

BTW: Not much difference between Dunlops and Stones for me.

·
Registered
930 Posts
My Bridgestones have just over 10,000 miles on them and will need to be replaced shortly.
I ride one up and I am about 170lbs.
I am amazed at how little mileage everyone is getting on any tires for the 2018+ Goldwings.
Maybe because they are radials?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Everybody's different with their riding styles.
Im an old fart and rarely exceed the posted speed, maybe 5-10 mph above to keep up with the traffic flow on the expressways. On the 2 lanes, I take my time and smell the roses.
I satisfied the speed demon itch when I was younger, now I enjoy the ride and avoid tickets and soccer moms. lol
Routinely get 15-20K on front tire, 10-12K on the rear. HTH :smile2:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was disappointed with the stock Dunlaps and replaced them at about 6800 miles, which is the worst tires performance I’ve ever exeprienced. The rear center was worn and both front and rear cupped significantly very early. I’m fanatical about maintaining the correct tire pressures, so I have no explanation for the poor serviceability. I probably had another 1000 miles or so miles left on the rear, but since I was leaving on a 2000 plus mile trip, I replaced them with Bridgestones. I have 2100 miles on the Bridgestones and so far so good. Hopefully additional tire manufacturers will get onboard.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
12,500 on my Dunlops, will be replacing them with Bridgestones next week (much cheaper than Dunlops)
excellent wear, not down to the wear bars yet, but soon
would have replaced with Dunlops if the price was the same

·
Registered
301 Posts
When I changed from 10% Ecomomy/85% Touring/5% Sport mode to 85% Economy/14% Touring/1% Sport mode on my DCT, I doubled my mileage.
I'm with you.

I find ECON to be my "go-to" daily mode (DCT). Bike seems to shift effortlessly and at the end of the day I find myself wondering whether I can remember it shifting at all. Let's me concentrate on the scenery and the pure joy of riding.

I switched from the OEM Dunlops to 'Stones at 8200 miles. Could probably have safely squeezed another 2K out of the rear but the front was cupping and as long as I was changing tires I thought I'd make a clean sweep.

Have another 2K+ on the Stones without any signs of appreciable wear; we'll see how they last.

·
Registered
19,228 Posts
Everyones mileage will vary

I usually get 10,000 cup free, singing free miles out of my tires

·
Registered
422 Posts
5000 miles out of a set of tires on canyon/mountain roads is normal.

Reactions: GoingGrey

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm at 8,000 miles on Dunlops with enough tread left to make it easily to 10k. A lot more cupping on the front tire than I would expect despite maintaining a consistent 36 psi.

Didn't notice the cupping until returning from a week of riding in the South Dakota Black Hills recently.

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
My bike came with the Bridgestones. At 9600 miles my front seems to be wearing well but my rear will soon need replacing. I'll probably ride it to 10K and then put a new G852 on, which I just had delivered to my house yesterday.

I'm okay with 10K per tire. The G852 cost me $176 and the dealer will charge me $21 to put it on the rim and balance it, so that's not too bad in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I don't care what kind of tire mileage or mpg I get. I haul ass as much as possible on this bike...BECAUSE IT'S FUN!!!! And because I CAN!!!

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
A lot of guys would jump at the chance to wear out tires in that fashion.

prs

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
the dealer will charge me $21 to put it on the rim and balance it, so that's not too bad in my opinion.
That is CHEAP!!!

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,542 Posts
I have around 11k miles on the Bridgestones and they seem to be wearing about the same as the Bridgestones..G704/G709...did on my old wing

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
The BMW boys would say you've been smokin' some silly weed if you claimed 10K miles on a K1600......with any tire.
5 - 6K miles on the K1600 is considered darn good. :surprise:

Pretty refreshing to see Goldwing riders getting well over 10K miles on a set.

Tire wear is directly related to right wrist action, temps, twistys, and load.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It sucks to have to replace tires prematurely because of abnormal wear. Tires wearing quickly because you ride fast and hard should not come as a suprise. I am not going to tell you how little milage I get out of my tires on my Zx10r. You will not think it is possible. You would also say I should not ride like that on the street. Enjoy the ride and get your wallet out.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Concerning the folks with the cupping issues. I've never had any cupping since I started using beads in the tires for balancing. So my take on the cupping is that it's an out of balance condition that causes it. Of course I could be wrong. At one time I thought that incorrect pressure was the problem, but I got over that notion. :serious: :smile2: :surprise:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Cupping is caused by the forces that a tire is under when it is leaned over in a corner. It is a natural occurrence on a motorcycle tire. Under inflation will make it worse because the tire is hotter. If you are an aggressive rider on the corners, that will also make it worse.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts