GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'04 WING WITH 50,000 MILES. PROBLEMS STARTED AROUND 24,000 MILES. PAID FOR VALVE ADJ. NO ADJ. NEEDED! $154.00 DOWN THE DRAIN. REPLACED ALL INJECTORS ON RIGHT BANK BECAUSE OF THE TIC-TIC NOISE THAT IS STILL THERE.
WELL, FINALLY GOT SO. EAST SERVICE REP. KYLE JOINER TO COME AND LOOK AT MY WING.
SAT AT DEALER'S PLACE FOR TWO DAYS WAITING HIS ARRIVAL.
WHEN HE DID GET THERE, I TOLD HIM TO RIDE IT WITH A 1/2 HELMET SO HE COULD HERE THE NOISE IT MAKES WHEN COLD. THIS COULD BE DONE BY JUST RIDING IN THE PARKING LOT.
NO. HE INSISTED IN USING HIS FULL HELMET WITH FACE SHIELD AND THEN SAT AT A STOP SIGN FOR A PERIOD LONG ENOUGH TO BRING THE HEAT UP AND CANCEL OUT MOST OF THE NOISE.
BOTH THE SERVICE MGR. AND THE WING MECHANIC HAVE RIDDEN THIS BIKE AND NOW WHAT TO LISTEN FOR.
THIS SOUNDS LIKE A COLLAPSED LIFTER IN THE LEFT BANK. POSSIBLE A BAD INJECTOR. THE RIGHT BANK HAS A SOUND OF A SPARK JUMP WHICH IS CONSTANT WITH RPM's. HONDA AGREED TO RE CHECK VALVES, WHICH WERE IN LIMITS AND TO RE SET THE MAP. NOTHING CHANGED. EVEN CHANGED OIL TO 20/50 AS ADVISED!
GOT A CALL COUPLE OF DAYS LATER FROM CALIFORNIA TELLING ME THAT MY "WARRANTY" EXPIRES IN 2011. RIDE IT AND ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!
THEY WILL PAY FOR A NEW MOTOR BUT WILL NOT SPEND THE $$$$ TO FIND THE CAUSE.
WHAT A RIP!!!!!!!!!
RACER
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
At least your problem isn't a safety factor yet.

My GL has been in the shop since October 7th because of a gear shifting problem I started having at 11k miles. My previous dealer (where this started in JULY) even refused to take the wing apart after I said I would pay IF no problem was found BUT I wanted him to at least go for the warranty if there was a problem found. Well the dealer that has the bike now took the bike apart, called for Honda rep(in October), never got a call back, contacted Honda America (December), never got a rep out, and now is putting the wing back together AND still waiting for the Honda rep!

The shifting at first was a severe kick in OD after traveling the distance of the turn signal cancelling process. A replaced shifter lever reduced the kick but then had it falling completely out of gear in 4th.

The ONLY good feeling I have had during this process is the dealer really trying to get Honda involved and HONDA not responding.

I wish you safe riding - I know that I will now feel much better having my shifter fork repaired.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You have some options.

1. Ride the bike with a full helmet
2. Turn the radio up loud
3. Trade it
4. Blow the engine and see if the replacement make the same noise
5. Then repeat steps 1 thru 3

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
AM I RED YET said:
'04 WING WITH 50,000 MILES. PROBLEMS STARTED AROUND 24,000 MILES. PAID FOR VALVE ADJ. NO ADJ. NEEDED! $154.00 DOWN THE DRAIN. REPLACED ALL INJECTORS ON RIGHT BANK BECAUSE OF THE TIC-TIC NOISE THAT IS STILL THERE.
WELL, FINALLY GOT SO. EAST SERVICE REP. KYLE JOINER TO COME AND LOOK AT MY WING.
WHEN HE DID GET THERE, I TOLD HIM TO RIDE IT WITH A 1/2 HELMET SO HE COULD HERE THE NOISE IT MAKES WHEN COLD. THIS COULD BE DONE BY JUST RIDING IN THE PARKING LOT.
NO. HE INSISTED IN USING HIS FULL HELMET WITH FACE SHIELD AND THEN SAT AT A STOP SIGN FOR A PERIOD LONG ENOUGH TO BRING THE HEAT UP AND CANCEL OUT MOST OF THE NOISE.
BOTH THE SERVICE MGR. AND THE WING MECHANIC HAVE RIDDEN THIS BIKE AND NOW WHAT TO LISTEN FOR.
THIS SOUNDS LIKE A COLLAPSED LIFTER IN THE LEFT BANK. POSSIBLE A BAD INJECTOR. THE RIGHT BANK HAS A SOUND OF A SPARK JUMP WHICH IS CONSTANT WITH RPM's. HONDA AGREED TO RE CHECK VALVES, WHICH WERE IN LIMITS AND TO RE SET THE MAP. NOTHING CHANGED. EVEN CHANGED OIL TO 20/50 AS ADVISED!
GOT A CALL COUPLE OF DAYS LATER FROM CALIFORNIA TELLING ME THAT MY "WARRANTY" EXPIRES IN 2011. RIDE IT AND ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT A RIP!!!!!!!!!
RACER
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
You may not have a problem. What you are describing may be the normal sound of the lifters. The Wing's engine is so quiet that you can hear many sounds that other bikes mask out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sounds to me that you might have some piston "slap" in one cylinder- Don't worry about it. I once put a stock set of pistons in an .010 bored block that was in my corvette that came bored that way. They slapped real good until it got warm and it really ran good for years!!

If I am right- you will see some build up in the spark plug in that cylinder when you change them at 16k or more- Maybe not too.
It doesn't take much clearance in an aluminum engine to make some excessive noise and the piston/cylinder clearance may be just at the outer end of the spec.
Don't worry and ride it!!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
AM I RED YET said:
WHAT A RIP!!!!!!!!!
RACER
Any chance you can record the sound and post it on here so we can hear what you are talking about?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Dan18960 said:
At least your problem isn't a safety factor yet.

My GL has been in the shop since October 7th because of a gear shifting problem I started having at 11k miles. My previous dealer (where this started in JULY) even refused to take the wing apart after I said I would pay IF no problem was found BUT I wanted him to at least go for the warranty if there was a problem found. Well the dealer that has the bike now took the bike apart, called for Honda rep(in October), never got a call back, contacted Honda America (December), never got a rep out, and now is putting the wing back together AND still waiting for the Honda rep!

The shifting at first was a severe kick in OD after traveling the distance of the turn signal cancelling process. A replaced shifter lever reduced the kick but then had it falling completely out of gear in 4th.

The ONLY good feeling I have had during this process is the dealer really trying to get Honda involved and HONDA not responding.

I wish you safe riding - I know that I will now feel much better having my shifter fork repaired.
What makes you certain that your dealer ACTUALLY called Honda?

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Its odd that "they" recommended 20/50 oil as an attempt to dampen the noise; just the opposite makes more sense given your explanaiton of quieting with warm-up. I would use syntheitic 10-30, 10- 40, or 5-40 to get quicker circulation in the unlikely case the oil has anything at all to do with the noise. The sound bite thing is a novel idea -- this crystal ball diagnosis we attempt online is pretty far fetched as it is.

prs

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
i was at a dealer a few years ago when a fellow was there bitching and raising a big ruckus about little noises comming from the engine of his almost new GL1800, they kept trying to explain to him that those noises were normal but he just wouldn't accept that and insisted something was wrong and they were trying to screw him over.
when i listened to it myself it sounded just like mine and i'm not the least bit worried

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
cycledude said:
i was at a dealer a few years ago when a fellow was there bitching and raising a big ruckus about little noises comming from the engine of his almost new GL1800, they kept trying to explain to him that those noises were normal but he just wouldn't accept that and insisted something was wrong and they were trying to screw him over.
when i listened to it myself it sounded just like mine and i'm not the least bit worried
++++++++1...chuck

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
After I had the Traxxion suspension upgrade done, one of the service guys took it for a spin. He came back and told the shop owner that it sounded like something was wrong, so the shop owner took it for a spin.

It seems the problem was that the only other wing that the service guy had ever ridden belonged to the shop owner, and he had put plugged up the holes to block the normal engine and road noises. My bike didn't have a funny sound. They were the normal sounds of the wing, but undampened by styrofoam.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
So let me get this straight...
You did your periodic valve maint early at 24k and are complaining about it no needing adjustment.
The dealer replaced all the fuel injectors on the right side under warranty
The regional Honda rep took 2 days to appear to witness an issue that had to be checked with a dead cold engine.
If the sound goes away quckly enough waiting for a stop sign. Less than 5min after startup??
Oil changed to 20/50 diidn't quiet it??? I would think if it was an internal issue, it would quiet up quick.. JMHO

Couple of points:
1) The GL has now "lifters" they are solid cams over shims.. (Requires periodic adjustment. No possibility for a "collapsed" lifter.
2) The GL1800 doesn't have an ECM that can be re-mapped.. Whoever told you that is full of beans.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see problem with Honda warranty service here, it appears they've gone above and beyond..
Do a search here, you'll find that GL1800s do make a ticking noise, it's normal and expected.. Perhaps you can find another GL1800 rider to compare with..

·
Registered
19,311 Posts
$154 for a valve adjustment-that is CHEAP

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOUSY WARENTEE PROBLEM

LETS GET THE TIME LINE STRAIGHT.
IT WAS BROUGHT IN AROUND 24,000 MILES WHEN THE NOISES FIRST DEVELOPED. SERVICE "TOLD" ME IT WAS THE VALVES. I PAID TO HAVE THEM ADJUSTED. THUS THE $154.00 BILL. THE MECHANIC THEN TOLD ME THERE WERE NO VALVES OUT OF ADJUSTMENT. THEY WERE ALL WITH IN SPEC. ONE VALVE WAS ONE OVER AND ONE WAS UNDER ONE. I HAVE THE READ OUTS FOR THE 24,000 MILE CHECK AND THE 50,000 MILE CHECK. ALL ARE THE SAME.
THE ""COLLAPSED LIFTER" STATEMENT WAS ONLY TO DESCRIBE THE SOUND EMITTED. THIS IS THE CLOSEST I CAN COME TO DESCRIBING THE SOUND. THE SOUND IS STILL THERE AFTER WARM UP BUT LESS SUBDUED
IF PULLING MY TRAILER THE NOISE WILL COME BACK STRONG THROUGH ALL GEARS WHEN ACCELERATING. AND NO, THIS IS NOT A OCTANE PING.
I HAVE A FEELING IT IS CAUSED BY A STICKING INJECTOR.
AS THE TEMP. COMES UP SO DOES THE FUEL TEMP. IN THE COMMON RAIL SYSTEM AND THE FUEL BECOMES LESS DENSE. THIS IS COMMON IN ALL INJECTED FUEL SYSTEMS.
I WOULD SAY THE NOISES WERE INHERENT WITH THE ENGIN, EXCEPT THEY DIDN'T START UNTIL 24,000 MILES WERE ACCUMULATED.
REMEMBER, THE VALVE ADJ. WAS ACCOMPLISHED AFTER THIS PERIOD.....
I WILL RUN THE DAMN THING TILL IT BLOWS AND THEN THEY WILL HAVE TO SPEND A BUNCH OF $$$$.
FLORIDA DOES NOT HAVE A "WARRANTEE" AS SUCH, BUT AN INSURANCE POLICY. SEEMS THAT HONDA WOULD NOT POST A MILLION DOLLAR WITH THE STATE TO OPERATE A WARRANTEE. THIS POLICY IS NOT NEGOTIABLE LIKE MOST STATES.
1 RACER

·
Registered
19,311 Posts
MAYBE YOU HAVE SHITTY GAS

·
Registered
129 Posts
Had the same problem with a Ford truck in the early 90's. They never could fix the problem. I made them give me a new truck. New truck had the very same problems. I was never able to get either truck fixed.

I finally saved myself the grief and aggravation and traded it off. Have not had another Ford since.

If the problem is really that bad to you why not save yourself grief and get another ride. Might cost you some cash up front but you will probably be happier in the long run.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
AM I RED YET

Are you taking this to Daytona Dumb Machines or the new Cycle World?

Just curious. I've dealt with DFM in the past (not a pleasant experience) but the new Cycle World is an unknown.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts