GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are back!!! Sept 9th ( Same day as the last years) Not very heavy yet but they are back. Just remember don't go over your limit!! & You must purchase a small bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide at any drug store especially mfg for Love bugs.. 2-1/2 to 3 weeks they will be gone!! so hurry they are waiting...YMMV!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hate when there is a lot of bugs. Here is North Carolina there are lots of weird looking bugs. I won’t even start ranting about the fire ants! The worst time was in Maine when the black flies got us.

·
Registered
2018 GL1800 MT, 1998 Honda Shadow, 2016 Yamaha FJR1300
153 Posts
Sorry.. what? are you talking about?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Hate when there is a lot of bugs. Here is North Carolina there are lots of weird looking bugs. I won’t even start ranting about the fire ants! The worst time was in Maine when the black flies got us.
Correction, "The worst time is ANY time in Maine, when the black flies get you."

Reactions: Tourer

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
They are back!!! Sept 9th ( Same day as the last years) Not very heavy yet but they are back. Just remember don't go over your limit!! & You must purchase a small bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide at any drug store especially mfg for Love bugs.. 2-1/2 to 3 weeks they will be gone!! so hurry they are waiting...YMMV!!
Yes, they are beginning to swarm down in the Tampa area as well. I hate love bugs!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh NO! That means within a week or so they'll be in south Texas.........They are the nastiest of bugs to clean off vehicles. IF you go through a mess of them and want to stay in good graces with your better half, don't pull your vehicle in the garage and then open door to go into your house with attached garage. The smell goes right into the house with you and you lose all those brownie points you might have built up. Nasty.

·
Registered
507 Posts
And, when they are swarming they can also get sucked into the air filters of our vehicles.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sorry.. what? are you talking about?
These are a species of black flys that joined together during mating season and they project a huge body as one. They will be stuck together and fly in swarms. Wear a full face helmet and a mask and carry a bottle of water and rag to wipe off the windshield and or helmet shield.

·
Chard Member
13,162 Posts
I look forward to killing as many as I can the next couple weeks. I have plenty of peroxide waiting.

Haven’t seen any yet but I’m usually home by 11:00.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I look forward to killing as many as I can the next couple weeks. I have plenty of peroxide waiting.

Haven’t seen any yet but I’m usually home by 11:00.
This is key. They don't seem to fly enmasse until air temps hit around 80 degrees. Riding early in the day and home by noon is my normal summer strategy but especially in May and September's love bug seasons.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Just a suggestion here:
Put a coat of wax on your windshield...This will make removal, of the splatted critters much easier...........

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Just a suggestion here:
Put a coat of wax on your windshield...This will make removal, of the splatted critters much easier...........

Ronnie
Wax works but my go-to like many others is a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. The mixture turns the bug remains to bits of foam that come off with a light rub with a damp cotton or microfiber towel followed by drying with a clean towel. During this time of the year I have Love Bug B Gone handy to clean just the front of the bike when I get home.

Liquid Drinkware Solution Blue Fluid

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yep, they 'love' May and September. Remove the dead bodies as soon as possible. Us Florida riders have been putting up with those miserable things for years.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Wax works but my go-to like many others is a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. The mixture turns the bug remains to bits of foam that come off with a light rub with a damp cotton or microfiber towel followed by drying with a clean towel. During this time of the year I have Love Bug B Gone handy to clean just the front of the bike when I get home.

View attachment 389620
Thanks double " D" ..............I will give that a try, Here in Massachusetts, we have not been hit too hard with these critter's

Ronnie

·
Registered
707 Posts
o_O Ran into about a dozen luv-bugs a couple of days ago while cutting grass near the creek. We don't have many, but they are migrating toward us each year........more and more.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Very true about cleaning them off promptly. Many a new paint job has been needed due to the damage caused by their acidic composition. :mad:

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
My understanding is that motorcycles and cars are the only enemies they have. Birds apparently don't eat them because they taste nasty. I have yet to hear a bird say that directly so I am only quoting the internet.
They must be made of sulfuric acid or brake fluid because they will damage paint if left untreated after a ride.
For people who don't appreciate public displays of affection (PDA) , they are a nightmare.

Reactions: Snakebitte
1 - 20 of 20 Posts