GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a hitch off e-bay. I won't say the name yet, but they are $139.00 and there is always one there for sale. I have given him a chance to make things right. We will see what he does before I really get mad.

Hitch itself was all there, but it was missing many bolts. Best part was the pin would not fit into the hole in the hitch without me drilling it out to the proper size.

Buy American, buy American........... I have done this a few times recently and been very disappointed with the results.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I hope that yours is a freak thing and that they get you taken care of. They do have a 100% positive feedback so I am guessing that most folks are happy with them. I sure hope so because (gulp!) I ordered me one just last week. Supposed to be here on Thursday. Now you got me worried!

·
Banned
226 Posts
I hope that yours is a freak thing and that they get you taken care of. They do have a 100% positive feedback so I am guessing that most folks are happy with them. I sure hope so because (gulp!) I ordered me one just last week. Supposed to be here on Thursday. Now you got me worried!
You'll be fine. He means well. He just has a hard time keeping his story strait and his promises from one sucker to the next. To Many irons in the fire.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Section168, You are a funny man.

Everything fit fine as far as I can tell. Directions are less than desirable and the video link is terrible.

Biggest thing you have to do is take apart the supports for the heat sink and the bolts holding the heat sink to get the round pieces in place. Never mentioned in the directions.

Does anyone know the tongue weight max on this? Seems the rear bracing is the only thing that will take weight?

·
Banned
939 Posts
Not sure if you have a direct frame or subframe mount one.

I put a Kury subframe style on mine and my tongue weight with my dog as only real load in the trailer and a full cooler up front is 41. And I have no fear thus far.

From doing some hindsight looking around most recommend a direct frame mount and think am gonna swap out this winter.

DJ Fire is putting a trailer together that will have his Honda Mini bike on the tongue and if I remember right I think he is gonna be over 70lbs tongue. Do not know what hitch he has.

This gets hit on often though, search it and you will find some info for sure.

So did you decide to strap the dog on the luggage rack and mount the child car seat on the trailer and getting a bit nervous or what?

I think you should stick with the mod child seat and drag the dog. He is way more ugly looking than your daughter.

I would say between 35 to 50 pounds is no worries and I think many folks go over that with direct frame mounts.

BUT, I have no expertise here and would go hunting a more definitive word from the expertise that is around in posts from Tom Finch and others. The super majority if not all of them are running direct frame mounts so If you have a subframe mount I am not sure it has been specifically addressed. There have been a few subframe failures but nothing catastrophic from my research.

So heck if the daughter gets pissed when you don't buy her an extra dilly bar at the DQ you can throw her back in the trailer with the dog to discuss how rough they have it.

What hitch did you get? There are more than a few on eBay.

Anyway, if it is subframe mount you might want to be a wee bit more cautious and make sure the dogs paws are on the pegs in the trailer and don't forget to cross the chains.

·
Banned
939 Posts
I found this thread interesting.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292322&highlight=tongue+weight

Here it looks like Finch is suggesting 30lbs for 250 overall weight, and recommends erroring heavy on tongue weight for the situation in the thread.

He details out his math and logic. Which I would take very seriously.

I am pretty sure he is NOT a subframe fan though so keep that in mind.

It is very worth while reading just for the math and helping the OP in that thread solve his problem with some math and not guess work. He is very good at bringing words to his logic and the science of things and as a definite bonus rumor has it he is perhaps one of the top few experts in the world when it comes to taking as much if not all the guess work out of the motorcycle trailer pulling.

Now if we could just get some of the big shop brains around here to get on that 2up toddler seat.:shrug:

Saftey first....:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The one from Alumalite Trailers.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rule of thumb is 10% of total weight on the tongue. Not sure if this applies for something like this or not?

Most I will be carrying will be a dirt bike on the same trailer as the dog house. Total weight will be less than 750lbs or 75lbs of t weight.

I will be trying the stand on it test as soon as I go to the hardware store and buy the needed bolts.

·
Banned
939 Posts
I will be trying the stand on it test as soon as I go to the hardware store and buy the needed bolts.
LOL, yes the "stand on it test" it does appear as though you and I both graduated from the same shop academy.

I would go read #13 and #15 in that thread I linked again.

Also, I am not sure what his theory on total "sane" weight to be pulled by the Wing is nor am I sure if he has addresd that loaded literally and figuratively dilemma here. But it is possible he has. If anyone knows that would be interesting reading.

I have some rather grandiose ideas with potential loads I might like to pull also and am also curious what his and others opinions might be with trailer brakes.

If I put some specific plans through the 12YR scotch test and they make it to paper I will definitely float them on this forum before I order the aluminum and steel.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
... Most I will be carrying will be a dirt bike on the same trailer as the dog house. Total weight will be less than 750lbs or 75lbs of t weight. ....
That is a lot of weight, especially for not having trailer brakes.

You should be installing the best frame-mounted hitch that you can find. The rear sub-frame of the Wing is a poor choice for mounting a hitch intended to carry heavy loads.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was called today by best trailers. He knocked $30 off my charge.

I am satisfied.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is a lot of weight, especially for not having trailer brakes.
Now that I think about it the trailer is 100lbs, and the dirt bike is only 300 tops.

I will not even be close to 750 lbs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts