GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I wrapped up my installation of some lighting mods to the Wing:

--EC LED lights (replace reflectors); very nice; one more light on the rear and the amber lights down on the forks should make the bike more visible from the side, especially when the turn signals are on.

--EC Spoiler conversion; very pleased with the conversion kit that turns the spoiler into a running light and then gets brighter when brakes are applied.

--EC turn-signal conversion; couple of more running and brake lights in the rear, plus the running light in the side (vs reflector on the lower taillight); really nice.

While installing the LED's I also took out the jumper so that the fog/running lights can be used when either the low beam or high beam lights are on. Believe Diverdan posted info on this months ago and I just now got around to doing it.

Also installed the VP Brake-Dancer for the brake lights; hooked them up so that they flash bottom left/top right, then bottom right/top left. Should be a good attention getter in conjunction with the changes above. The spoiler and lower reflector brake lights come on solid, the others flash six times, then go solid. Lots of light in the rear, so hopefully will keep some moron from running up my tailpipe.

I highly recommend each of the above items.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dave:

With respect to "While installing the LED's I also took out the jumper so that the fog/running lights can be used when either the low beam or high beam lights are on. Believe Diverdan posted info on this months ago and I just now got around to doing it. " .... I couldn't locate the post. Can you explain where you found and identified this "jumper" and how you changed it?

Thanks,

Buck
Cape Cod, MA

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fog Lights

I looked to see if I had saved this off, but I had not. Since I just did it, however, eaasy to explain. The jumper is located in behind the switch panel for the headlight adjustment, fog lights, etc. It is pretty easy to remove. Remove the thin left strip (care not to break it or the tabs -- recommend you start at the bottom). Under the strip remove the bolt to the left of the headlight adjustment panel. Just below that bolt there is a slot for a screwdriver. Press the screwdriver into the slot and pry lightly. the panel should pop up and you can slide it to the left to release the two tabs on the right. Behind the panel you will see a 4-prong connector coming out of the panel and going to a conncector in the larger black wire protector (against the frame). In the middle of this wire is another unit that does not attach to anything (sorta looks the size of a blinker or relay). This whole wire is the jumper. If you remove it and then connect the connector from the back of the panel to the connector the fog lights will be on for both high and low beam (switch to turn them on and off still works).

If you have any problems let me know and I'll take a picture of the jumper and post it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dave:

Great instructions! I should have no problem.

Thanks a bunch ....

·
Registered
182 Posts
wingnutzz said:
Today I wrapped up my installation of some lighting mods to the Wing:

--EC LED lights (replace reflectors); very nice; one more light on the rear and the amber lights down on the forks should make the bike more visible from the side, especially when the turn signals are on.

Wingnutzz, do you have a photo of your bike with the LED lights installed and lit? How do you like time? Do the provide any additional illumination?

I am mainly looking to increase visability of the bike, and will probably add driving lights to the forks. The OEMs at $281 a set are a bit much for a 35 watt driving light kit.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I ordered the LED cowl lamps (in amber) on wednesday and also purchased the wiring harness for the LED front fork running lamps. I'm going to wire my cowl lamps in with the turnsignals, I just don't know if the turn signals will flash alternate or at the same time, but I think I will like the look. I did order the new clear lamp covers to protect the cowl lamps, I will check them out before I install them. I do like the other additions that some of you did to the light systems, I'm sure I will do some of the same. LED's are great to work with and draw so little drain from the electrical system, I think a Wing could handle 30,000 of them, don't quote me on that. :lol:

John

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Dave,

Sounds like you put a lot of EC stuff on your bike. I have most of the EC stuff on my bike and could not be happier. Quality is excellent, Service is excellent and instructions are written in a fashion that even this dummy (me) can hook it up.

All of those little things that you added on, add up to a lot of nice features.

Ride Safe.

Bulldog

·
Registered
182 Posts
trainman said:
I ordered the LED cowl lamps (in amber) on wednesday and also purchased the wiring harness for the LED front fork running lamps. I'm going to wire my cowl lamps in with the turnsignals, I just don't know if the turn signals will flash alternate or at the same time, but I think I will like the look. I did order the new clear lamp covers to protect the cowl lamps, I will check them out before I install them. I do like the other additions that some of you did to the light systems, I'm sure I will do some of the same. LED's are great to work with and draw so little drain from the electrical system, I think a Wing could handle 30,000 of them, don't quote me on that. :lol:

John
Thanks John, I just ordered my LED cowl lamps yesterday. I already have the mirror and side flasher combo, so I am not sure I'll tie them into the flasher like you, but may; flashing is good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts