GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the best bike on the road, right? Why’s the seat suck so bad? 70 miles in and I hate it. I get that stock seats aren’t that nice, but I’ve had Harley’s and Honda’s before, and all of their stock seats have at least been tolerable.

/groan
/moan
/complain

Ugh.

She’s fast though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean, I’m a 30yo professional sitter. I work as an IT Analyst, so I sit for 15 hours a day. I’m an expert sitter. I put 18000-25000 miles on my bike every year, commuting and traveling. My lower back KILLS ME every time I ride the Wing.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I mean, I’m a 30yo professional sitter. I work as an IT Analyst, so I sit for 15 hours a day. I’m an expert sitter. I put 18000-25000 miles on my bike every year, commuting and traveling. My lower back KILLS ME every time I ride the Wing.

Indeed. I think I was most frustrated after pounding the trails for eight hours on snowmobile with no posterior pain....Hopefuly the Diamond I bought will cure the problem..

·
Registered
316 Posts
I like the seat, but I do need to add a backrest, since after a while my lower back aches.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a 2016 1000 Versys LT that was the worst seat ever made, 50 miles and I had to get off. Seat sloped downward/forward, and just gave me the seat burn. A $500 Corbin Leather Seat fixed it. I have 19,000 miles on my Wing now and find it very comfortable. Generally stop after 100 miles to stretch my legs. We are all different.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,543 Posts
I’m looking at the Ultimate seat. Hoping that solves the problem. Bummer that’s it’s nearly unrideable without it.

The Ultimate is a nice looking seat. Like you I couldn't ride with the stock seat for more than 70 miles before discomfort set in.

I went with Wingsoft and I have been very happy with the Wingsoft seat and it didn't break the bank. I can ride all day in comfort with the Wing soft, but more importantly I can ride long multi days while on road trips in comfort. I could had never went on any road trips with the OEM seat...the OEM seat would had ruined my trip.

·
Registered
360 Posts
@Nate Mayo
Why don’t you ride over to Manchester, TN and talk to Terry Adcox. He’ll built you any seat you like. He’s a one man shop and he also rides a Wing. Ride over and let him take pictures of you sitting on the bike and then discuss what you want.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
@Nate Mayo
Why don’t you ride over to Manchester, TN and talk to Terry Adcox. He’ll built you any seat you like. He’s a one man shop and he also rides a Wing. Ride over and let him take pictures of you sitting on the bike and then discuss what you want.
Another vote for Terry. He just finished working his magic on my Kawasaki Versys 1000 seat and did an excellent job. And for far less cost than buying a new seat.

With respect to the Gold Wing, I ride somewhere around 20,000 miles/yr. What I found worked for me was a $19.99 seat pad from our local auto parts store (often on sale for $9.99) that coincidentally is shaped pretty similar to the GW seat. I buy two, put them both inside one sleeve. And also have a Utopia backrest. Over 10 years and over 200,000 miles on my 2004 and that combination worked great for me. And was economical.

Reactions: Nate Mayo

·
Registered
368 Posts
@Nate Mayo
Also check out bike solutions llc. He did mine and it is much softer than the original bus stop bench seat that comes with the bike.

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Another BikeSolutions.com (WingSoft) happy customer here. He took a seat that was absolute torture and made it reasonably comfortable. Perfect? No, but very good. Using the original "skin" and seatpan, he worked wonders and did so in very quick turn-a-round.

prs

Reactions: Roadie

·
Registered
808 Posts
Shout out for Russell Day Long. It's a figurative pain in the ass, as you have to ship your seat to them unless you can get to California, but it will certainly resolve your literal pain in the ass! I would never buy a touring bike and not get an RDL seat put on it now... they are essential touring equipment in my view.

·
Registered
19,228 Posts
I too have the Wing Soft mod for a bit more comfort. $500 range

I like a stiffer seat like RDL or Ultimate. These are better $1000-1600 range

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just ordered the Ultimate. No heat, Midrider, with rider backrest. $1070. I’ll surely let y’all know how it works. The styling wasn’t too over-the-top like the Corbin, and Mustang doesn’t make one yet.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I rode my Wing cross-country for many years but never without back pain or numbness to the perineum region. I finally convinced my wife to give up her throne on the back of the Wing and we traded it for the Harley. No more pain or numbness. I know GW riders don't want to hear that but it's what worked for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anybody picked up the Honda Seat? I liked my Honda energy seat for my CBR1000RR and I was wondering about the seat they have for the new wing.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
My ‘78 GL1000 has a super comfy seat. It boggles my mind the industry doesn’t build comfortable seats anymore on anything. I think they really miss the mark on this. Honda is not alone. I guess getting the bikes as low and cheap as possible has trumped comfort.

I do sit on an ultimate tall on my 2013 and will buy another when the times comes ...... provided I can afford it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I replaced stock seat with an Ultimate. Gave me more leg room and a lot more comfortable. I have never been able to use a stock motorcycle seat, either Honda or Kawasaki. You would think that’s one area manufacturers would address, given the multitude of after market seat companies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts