GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming off of a 2014 HD Ultra and i must say that the wing is a superior touring bike in just about every way except for luggage space. I have tried different combo's and the lack of space sucks. I carry a rain suit. chaps, jacket, extra gloves. Not a ton of crap just stuff you need while out riding. If my wife would go i have no idea how i will carry any extra stuff. I have the trunk rack and will use a bag and when she is not there i will travel with a backseat saddleman bag. I do not over pack and don't tend to carry stuff i don't need but the trunk and bags are so small on this bike. They could have done a better job. jmho

·
Registered
558 Posts
I am coming off of a 2014 HD Ultra and i must say that the wing is a superior touring bike in just about every way except for luggage space. I have tried different combo's and the lack of space sucks. I carry a rain suit. chaps, jacket, extra gloves. Not a ton of crap just stuff you need while out riding. If my wife would go i have no idea how i will carry any extra stuff. I have the trunk rack and will use a bag and when she is not there i will travel with a backseat saddleman bag. I do not over pack and don't tend to carry stuff i don't need but the trunk and bags are so small on this bike. They could have done a better job. jmho
We came off an F6B and this is why we went with the Goldwing Standard. You can carry a lot more on a proper Luggage Rack. Unfortunately Honda blew it and does not offer a proper Luggage rack for the 2018+ so I had to make my own.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I here what you are saying. I came from a 2013 BMW K1600 which had considerably more storage than the new Wing, still not nearly as much as your Harley. I've realize I just have to rethink about what and how I carry all my stuff.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
When I sold my 2010 Wing, I opted for a K1600 Grand America for two reasons: luggage capacity and performance. IMHO Honda dropped the ball on luggage capacity.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I sold my 2010 Wing, I opted for a K1600 Grand America for two reasons: luggage capacity and performance. IMHO Honda dropped the ball on luggage capacity.
I rode that very bike and was impressed. My decision not to get it was the riding position was not for me. The fake floorboards and moving your feet was not what i wanted. The bike was amazing though and had a lot of power.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We came off an F6B and this is why we went with the Goldwing Standard. You can carry a lot more on a proper Luggage Rack. Unfortunately Honda blew it and does not offer a proper Luggage rack for the 2018+ so I had to make my own.
That is a nice setup, unfortunately i already have the tour and will just have to manage. I will learn how to pack smarter because of loss of space from the HD.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
81 Posts
We were disappointed in the reduced storage capacity, too. Unlike with the seat, we were able to adapt, improvise, overcome. We looked at everything we normally carried with us, and carefully examined "need" versus "want." We rode down to Lexington, KY last July for the finish of the Butt Lite. We were on the road for a week. We just took less stuff with us, and we made sure things packed small, and could be multi-purposed. I ordered the Honda Luggage Rack, and had the dealer install it when we bought the bike. That helped more than I thought it would; our hydration kit and rain gear fit there just fine. Still, the one thing we definitely noticed was much less room for souvenirs -- which in some respects, isn't all that bad an outcome. So, pack small; multi-purpose items where you can; and, as Mary noted, go lighter on the undies and T-shirts, because "that's why God made laundromats." <G>.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We were disappointed in the reduced storage capacity, too. Unlike with the seat, we were able to adapt, improvise, overcome. We looked at everything we normally carried with us, and carefully examined "need" versus "want." We rode down to Lexington, KY last July for the finish of the Butt Lite. We were on the road for a week. We just took less stuff with us, and we made sure things packed small, and could be multi-purposed. I ordered the Honda Luggage Rack, and had the dealer install it when we bought the bike. That helped more than I thought it would; our hydration kit and rain gear fit there just fine. Still, the one thing we definitely noticed was much less room for souvenirs -- which in some respects, isn't all that bad an outcome. So, pack small; multi-purpose items where you can; and, as Mary noted, go lighter on the undies and T-shirts, because "that's why God made laundromats." <G>.
Where are you from in Michigan. I am in Utica

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
My Remedy

40 Liter trunk rack bag and a 70 Liter bag on my custom made hitch rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts

I hear you about the storage, but as you can see from several posts there are ways to compensate for the "lack" of storage. Also, I don't know what is worse, the smaller storage on the Goldwing or the wobble on the BMW at freeway speed as well as the high maintenance costs. Just sayin'.... :trike:

Reactions: bigrobtemp

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
That is a nice setup, unfortunately i already have the tour and will just have to manage. I will learn how to pack smarter because of loss of space from the HD.
Packing less isn't necessarily smarter. Sounds like you'd have to give up something and be less prepared. A touring bike should have more space. It's unfortunate. :serious:

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I hear you about the storage, but as you can see from several posts there are ways to compensate for the "lack" of storage. Also, I don't know what is worse, the smaller storage on the Goldwing or the wobble on the BMW at freeway speed as well as the high maintenance costs. Just sayin'.... :trike:

The maintenance on my BMW has been in line with other makes....first service @ 600 miles was $275. Next service was at 6000 miles and I did it myself for $100 in parts and fluids and two hours of my time. If stuff breaks it can get expensive, but such is the case with a Wing. No matter what I did, I still could not secure two full face helmets in a locked trunk or saddlebag....a deal killer for me.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
... the wing is a superior touring bike in just about every way except for luggage space. I have tried different combo's and the lack of space sucks. ... ... the trunk and bags are so small on this bike. They could have done a better job. jmho
They could have done a WAY better job, particularly on the capacity of the saddle bags. There is NO reason for bags that small on a two-up, long distance touring bike.

Heck, just look at the bags on a Yamaha FJR or a Kawasaki Concours, they hold way more than the new Wing holds and they are sport-touring bikes.

It's the one thing Honda got wrong big time on the new Wing.

No reason they couldn't have made the saddle bag lids each 4 inches wider, which would have solved the problem.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The maintenance on my BMW has been in line with other makes....first service @ 600 miles was $275. Next service was at 6000 miles and I did it myself for $100 in parts and fluids and two hours of my time. If stuff breaks it can get expensive, but such is the case with a Wing. No matter what I did, I still could not secure two full face helmets in a locked trunk or saddlebag....a deal killer for me.

And of course there is the K1600 wobble.....
https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-ride-reports/185204-k1600b-wobble.html

Reactions: bigrobtemp

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Pakit Rak

I cured my storage issues with a Pakit Rak. I actually used it on my previous wing and converted it for the 2018 GW Tour.

Wife and I traveled 12 days to Nova Scotia and back last summer and carried everything we needed with no issues with the Pakit Rak.

If the wife is not along, I leave the Pakit Rak at home and put a T Bag on the rear seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. I will use the Saddleman backseat bag when rolling alone and maybe a trunk bag on the rack when the wife is along. The Pakit rack looks like a good option though.

Reactions: JF11

·
Registered
32 Posts
Also traded my 2014 Ultra Classic last summer for the DCT. Loved the Ultra, but a little too heavy for me to handle at slow/no speeds. I also feel the Wing is superior in just about every way except the luggage capacity. Haven't taken a long trip yet, but I can see that I'll have to pack very carefully, given the limited capacity. I personally don't care for the look of a rack mounted on the trunk, but that's obviously just an individual preference. My wife doesn't tour with me, so with a little planning, I should be able to get by. Good luck to all !

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also traded my 2014 Ultra Classic last summer for the DCT. Loved the Ultra, but a little too heavy for me to handle at slow/no speeds. I also feel the Wing is superior in just about every way except the luggage capacity. Haven't taken a long trip yet, but I can see that I'll have to pack very carefully, given the limited capacity. I personally don't care for the look of a rack mounted on the trunk, but that's obviously just an individual preference. My wife doesn't tour with me, so with a little planning, I should be able to get by. Good luck to all !

This is the back seat bag i use. The luggage is a choice and when touring with wife it will be needed. When going solo this bag works great. https://www.saddlemen.com/index.php?_route_=br4100-back-seat-bag-universal

Reactions: Sweeper68
1 - 20 of 55 Posts