GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Man, every time I ride this great machine It's my other Rx! I smile and enjoy the miles as they roll bye-bye. Even though it was a freaking HOT DAY I just had to get out for a ride. The route consisted of some Urban roadways, Highways and back roads. And some spirited riding here and there. All in Tour Mode. The mileage per gallon is so sweet on this machine. I know some have gotten higher MPG, share some pics of your MPG's if you care too. Never came this close to getting this kind of mileage on my 2012 GL 1832. Rides N Smiles!

·
Registered
135 Posts
50.7 is the highest I've ever gotten after 177 miles, 87 Octane, Tour mode... I use the "Fuelly" app on my iPhone to track all kinds of stats for all my vehicles. Fantastic IMHO...

·
Registered
697 Posts
There are so many features on this bike that are major improvement over my previous 2001 and my 2008 HPNA. I loved my 2008 and had just put on new tires, changed the oil and air filter and had put an awesome Corbin seat and new F4 windscreen on the bike. This new bike is such an improvement in so many areas. The adjustable wind screen and upper vents do a great job of protection and direction of addition air flow. The suspension/steering is greatly improved but aggressive riders should consider a suspension upgrade. I have bottomed out a couple times and never bottomed out on previous model. The DCT is a lot of fun to use. If you want complete automatic it will do it, It is however interactive friendly. The storage space is downsized but for a solo rider there are bags that will more than compensate. If you are traveling with a passenger consider a trailer and/or the pack rack behind a bike.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I came from a 2005 GL1800 30th Anniversary Ed. and this is by far a bike that fits me better. It's smaller size and lighter weight make it nice for me to ride the twisties. I've got 20,000 miles on my 2018 in 22 months of ownership. Love the bike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Interested to know the speed you were going. I finally busted my mid to high 30s MPG with 42.5 on my way up US-395, but that’s still the highest I’ve got. I was driving 78 mph due to it being a short round trip and had to overtake multiple times (in sport mode of course) including a line of about 15 cars behind a 5th wheel and big rig on a long stretch.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
im with you on the smiles per mile! I ENJOY riding this thing EVERY time. My other bikes are work...fun but work. this thing is just a joy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
View attachment 372416
Man, every time I ride this great machine It's my other Rx! I smile and enjoy the miles as they roll bye-bye. Even though it was a freaking HOT DAY I just had to get out for a ride. The route consisted of some Urban roadways, Highways and back roads. And some spirited riding here and there. All in Tour Mode. The mileage per gallon is so sweet on this machine. I know some have gotten higher MPG, share some pics of your MPG's if you care too. Never came this close to getting this kind of mileage on my 2012 GL 1832. Rides N Smiles!
I too love this bike, after 15 months I have broken the 20,000 mile mark, so far this year I've keep my b trip set with 8,000 miles I'm averaging 50 mpg. Really not much too dislike about this bike, I'm one that gets a grin every time I ride this bike, and now to have AA, I can't wait to have that system down.
Enjoy!
Pbr
😁

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had mine about 7 weeks now and have only ridden about 2500 miles but so far I love it. Best mpg I've seen though is 43, only got that once. Usually 36-42.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I can heartily agree on the smiles/mile. But, I have quit tracking the miles/gallon. It just doesn't matter to me when riding this machine. I am transported to my happy place when out riding so I just don't care about the metrics. Oh, I did when I initially started with the bike and it would consistently give 48+ mpg, and soon after is when I said that's really good and just stopped tracking. Yesterday was just such day - me and my riding buddy decided we were going to ride part of the Natchez Trace (just for grins) and on the way over we had to take a detour through the Bankhead National Forest on Hwy 33 (nice and twisty), then up some back roads to Red Bay, Al before jumping on the Trace and having lunch in Tupelo, Ms. The ride back was a tad less entertaining as we had to get back and had a 100+ miles to cover. But here's the thing - the weather was great in the morning with low humidity and not too bad in the afternoon, and traffic was light, and we were riding motorcycles, and all the other distractions (Covid, elections, protests, weird sports stuff (no fans), I had the beads on the seat so that took the seat out of the equation, etc.) just didn't matter. Just under 300 miles for the day, but over a 1000 smiles. Ride safe.

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
This Gold Wing has exceeded my expectations with its fuel mileage. I get 48 to 50 mpg on every ride in the summer..a bit less in the winter...even pulling my Bushtec I have seen 50mpg at times.
20180618_170719.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interested to know the speed you were going. I finally busted my mid to high 30s MPG with 42.5 on my way up US-395, but that’s still the highest I’ve got. I was driving 78 mph due to it being a short round trip and had to overtake multiple times (in sport mode of course) including a line of about 15 cars behind a 5th wheel and big rig on a long stretch.
The ride consisted of 30-70 mph stop and go traffic in some areas, just shy of 100 miles. I switched to synthetic Honda oil HP4S 10/30 after the second oil change, unknown if that made a difference. I do believe as the miles add up the increase in MPG improves but as most know its the twist of the wrist that plays a part in the MPG.:cool:

·
Registered
697 Posts
I forgot to mention the TPMS, the APPLE CARPLAY, the keyless entry and start fob, the big improvement in wireless connecting to headsets. I have owned for 27 months and have over 34,500 miles and nearly that many smiles.

·
Registered
697 Posts
On previous model Goldwing I use to say I could get 40mpg but NEVER did. It was always lower. Since new I have gotten 46.7 mpg (34,500miles) on the 2018. Recently I have made slight adjustment to riding style (slightly slower) and for nearly 1000 miles I have gotten a little better than 50 mpg and that is impressive to me.

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
I came from a 2005 GL1800 30th Anniversary Ed. and this is by far a bike that fits me better. It's smaller size and lighter weight make it nice for me to ride the twisties. I've got 20,000 miles on my 2018 in 22 months of ownership. Love the bike.
I came from a 2005 too. I had been waiting years for Honda to produce the new wing. Love it, DCT.

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
I get 41 smiles per gallon

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
52 Posts
Man, I hear of these 50mpg numbers and I have never gotten close To that......38 mpg consistently for me. Maybe I am heavy wristed!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Man, I hear of these 50mpg numbers and I have never gotten close To that......38 mpg consistently for me. Maybe I am heavy wristed!
Curious how much time you spend in Sport mode, and if you do not use sport mode, do you ride with the flow of cars or do you accelerate away from them as soon as possible? I have not ever gotten below 40mpg.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I ride in Tour ~90% of the time, and Sport maybe 5-10% of the time. I can get 45mpg if I just cruise, but if I ride aggressively then it's only 35mpg. If I'm uber-careful I've gotten 50mpg, but it was not fun so I don't bother trying, anymore.

I find that the GW gives me the best fuel economy at 55mph and no dramatic throttle action. That's a bit disappointing, for me. My car does best at 75mph and I'm happier at that speed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just finished an 1100 mile ride. Speed was between 60and 70 mph. Two up and loaded with gear. Trunk bag load, rakit pal loaded as were the saddle bags. We averaged 49.7 mpg. I’m impressed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts