GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm enjoying the heck out of my new "Motorrad" (Cayman Blue and White) Nolan N103 helmet. It's my third Nolan (had the N110E and the N102), and this one came from J&M who installed their 584 headset before shipment.

I usually listen to my Aux-wired iPod via the 'Wing's speakers, but freeway speeds make that tough, and Roger at J&M assured me the 584 headset speakers are relatively hi-fi. So far, I agree. My girlfriend also likes the ability to chat without yelling via the intercom.

Question: I have a riding buddy who rides an '05 Yamaha FJR1300, and he wants me to go halves on a pair of Chatterboxes so he and I can talk bike-to-bike during rides. I'm not crazy about the idea of hanging something else off this already-heavy N103 NCOM helmet. Is there another, lower-weight option (besides the Chatterbox) he and I can consider? (I do not have a CB radio.)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hi Lee,

Just do a search on "FRS/GMRS". You will find tons of threads describing solutions to your problem.

Lance

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hey...where is the sunshield on your N102? My wife and I use the N102 with the J&M 584; good stuff. I love the mounting system.

Do you have a CB? Maybe your friend should invest in a portable CB for himself rather then you reinventing the wheel for yourself. Two headsets on one helmet??? Yikes!

Whoops...On reread, I see you do not have a CB! Nevermind!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Lot's of good information here, just search for FRS/GMRS as noted.
I've used the Kennedy FRSet4 and Mic-Mutes for three years now and love the integrated setup. Nice to talk to other FRS users on bikes or friends and wife and kids in cages. Crystal clear reception and around a mile distance.

On the cheap side for your friend, you could go with Motorola FRS radio with their $25 head ear and boom setup that you can get at most sport stores. Was not comfortable for me, but have a friend that uses this setup all the time on his Shadow. Then their are a lot of products on the market for full integrated intercom, FRS, radio etc setup such as Autocomm to mention one. Just make sure they are true FRS and or GMRS if you two use different radios. Someone told me once that Chatterbox is limited on the band it uses. I don't know if that is true and hard to believe considering how popular they are.

That's my two cents. And BTW I just added the OEM CB and they all play very well together, CB, FRS w/Kennedy, EC's IPOD. Geez....well, they can always be turned off when I feel like getting back to basics.

Good Luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey...where is the sunshield on your N102?
BJ,
I removed the external "sunshield" from my N102 after my first ride with it. Why? Noisy, turbulent and ineffective. The N103 internal sunshield eliminates all these problems.

Note: I always wear sunglasses under my helmet while riding, and I switch to clear (non-prescription) glasses at night, just for extra eye protection. I imagine the only times I'll likely use the N103 sunshield is when riding directly into the sun...:cool:

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
J&M sells a nice CB your buddy could put on his 1300 and you wouldn't have to do anything.
If you want to help him you could donate the cost of your chatterbox.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. It's nice to see the evolution of the helmet.

And I like the sun shade option.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
For a low cost FRS radio that you both could use go here: Nady MRC-11

About $80 each and make sure that you get the adapter for the push to talk button. Crystal clear and works for at least a mile.

If you are interested in this type. I have one that I use to use on my VT1100 Shadow that I would let go for $50 + shipping. Works great and I have 2 headset with mine. Let me know and good luck in your search. It also comes with an intercom feature for rider and passenger.

Hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts