GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my head down in business, but finally got a chance to do a couple of day rides on the new Falken CT. Jimmy Chance helped me choose and install the tire. I LOVE IT. that sums it up. great stability, traction, ride, and where everyone wants to know.... cornering is super! I've sought out the grooves in the road, tar snakes etc. and have yet to be able to get the bike to do anything but a normal ride.

I had bought a spare rear rim and equipped it with a Stone to match the front, thinking I would switch them out for a long Colorado Twisty week. However, (as someone here said to me months ago) WHY? . I did not really know the answer to that until now. The CT corners and twisties just like a MCT.

We are heading to Yellowstone and Cody / beartooth etc. with Jimmy Chance and family over the 4th. There will be plenty of road test in that 1,500 miles or so.

I also put a Penske rear shock on, and have Traxxion, Tapered Head Bearings, and the Kury fork brace. This bike will lean, and go where you point it. I even had to put my fork tubes all the way up as I was scraping all the turns.

So I'm a bona-fide believer and will probably never use the new Stone on the spare rim in my garage.

Cheers. Yall be safe this summer boys. I plan on putting about 15K miles on this jewel before the snow flies.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Glad to hear it is working out so well for you Jim and also happy to hear you are back in the saddle. That Falken is a nice handling tire.:thumbup: Enjoy the (S)miles.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Great news jim.
I am a new Darksider also and am having the same delemma as you..... what am I going to do with the spare Stone in the garage? It may dry rot before this Kumho wears out!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Glad to hear that your riding -- and enjoying the dreaded Dark side!

Shiny side up...

·
Registered
811 Posts
dr. jim - is the Falken a run flat ? Just wondering based on your air pressure. I am running a Hankook Ventus, non-run flat and have the pressure bumped up to 42... runs smooth and corners well.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no, not a run flat, but experimenting with pressures and was told to start here. may go up to 40 for lots of twisties.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Good to see you riding and enjoying the wing again :thumbup: The Falken is a fantastic handling tire and why its my all time favorite. I like to run 44 in mine but what has been said many times on here to each his own on tire psi. Enjoy I know you will :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I think you'll find that aggressive-twistie riding may require the 44 psi mentioned to avoid sidewall flex. But, then again, everyone's butt is different.

Glad you're enjoying it.

Next time, just for sh**s and giggle, try a RF. Or better yet, sell that small round tire and put a RF on your other rim.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
That's a beautful area you're planning to travel to. Hope you all have a great time!!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Hey Doc, glad to see your an active "cult" member now. I agree with the others on the 44psi for the twisties!:congrats::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hi Jim,

My friend jpinpa was the man that helped me pick the Falken. I've played with the tire preasure and 44 psi works the best for me on the rear and 37-38 psi on the front.

Enjoy your trip over the 4th.

greg

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Hi Jim,

My friend jpinpa was the man that helped me pick the Falken. I've played with the tire preasure and 44 psi works the best for me on the rear and 37-38 psi on the front.

greg[/QUOTE Hey buddy I didn't forget about you this summer:thumbup: Just hasn't been to much fun LOL. I still am going to have my seat done :yes1: Just trying to catch up on all the medical bills I got this winter. Hope you are doing good and we will talk soon :thumbup: Jeff

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you'll find that aggressive-twistie riding may require the 44 psi mentioned to avoid sidewall flex. But, then again, everyone's butt is different.

Glad you're enjoying it.

Next time, just for sh**s and giggle, try a RF. Or better yet, sell that small round tire and put a RF on your other rim.
An expert that I respect says you are Da Man so before a twisty ride, the psi's go to 44!!

Hi Jim,

greg
sounds good.

maybe next time a RF tire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts