GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When listening to the radio/CB/trunk mounted MP3 player through the speakers, I generally have the volume set from 15 to 17 for city streets and 21 to 23 for highway travel. However, if I'm listening to XM radio or MP3 files loaded in the Zumo, I have to max the volume to 30 and even then, I'm not getting as much volume as I do at lower settings when not using the Zumo. I just received a re-manufactured Zumo (my original wouldn't charge properly and the screen wouldn't calibrate) and still can't get any volume out of it.

Anyone ever had a problem like this?

·
Registered
689 Posts
About a month ago I bought a 660, I used to use a 780 Nuvi. The Nuvi had a much better volume than the 660 so my solution was to go to Radio Shack and I got an inline booster that runs a batteries. Made a big difference and the batts last a very long time.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I had a ZUMO 550 weak audio problem that turned out to be in the motorcycle mount. I was able to narrow it down by trying my ZUMO 550 on another motorcycle. Installed a new mount and problem fixed.

Ron Fuller

·
Registered
288 Posts
When listening to the radio/CB/trunk mounted MP3 player through the speakers, I generally have the volume set from 15 to 17 for city streets and 21 to 23 for highway travel. However, if I'm listening to XM radio or MP3 files loaded in the Zumo, I have to max the volume to 30 and even then, I'm not getting as much volume as I do at lower settings when not using the Zumo. I just received a re-manufactured Zumo (my original wouldn't charge properly and the screen wouldn't calibrate) and still can't get any volume out of it.

Had the same problem in January with a re-conditioned Zumo. It drove me nuts. It was the internal volume of the Zumo that was set to low. With the unit powered on press the lower left button on the unit . A yellow bar graph will be displayed on the right side of the screen . This is the unit volume control. Use the buttons to raise the bars (volume) to the top... You will be happy. I run mine around the same numbers as you. 15-17 for around town and up to not much more on the hiway. The Automatic Volume Control on the bikes amp works well for me. Be sure yours is turned on.

I think that the unit they sent me was brand new but they have to call it re-conditioned..... Have you been to ZUMOFORUMS.COM ????? Carl

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
+1 to CaptCarl response above.
I just had the same situation and the same solution with my replaced Zumo 550.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
+1 to CaptCarl response above.
I just had the same situation and the same solution with my replaced Zumo 550.
Good luck.
+2 :thumbup:Now I got to see if my is right...

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Keep in mind that the Zumo has 3 different volume controls, the master, and the 2 individual controls for announcements and mp3. When on the bike, max out all three of them.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I have a 2010 with XM and I'm also running a Zumo 550 with XM antenna. I can set the volume on 15 listening to XM on the OEM stereo and then switch to the Zumo 550 set on the same XM station without touching the volume and the output is at least 33% louder. It will thump through the Zumo.

Also, my Zumo will have a good strong signal while the OEM unit isn't picking up a signal at all. I only recall loosing the signal on the Garmin XM once and that was in a deep canyon road.

Note in the picture, the XM is picking up 2 out of 3 bars....also, note that this is inside of a metal building. Try that with the OEM stuff.

I "upgraded" my speakers on one of my new bikes to Polk speakers and threw away the OEM speakers I pulled out. If I hadn't have trashed the OEM speakers, I would have put them back in. The Polks diminish the out put probably by 25% or more. Wasn't real pleased with that mod as I choose quantity (volume) over quality as the quality doesn't matter much above 75 mph.

Z

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Start with the easiest first. Have you checked the internal volume on the Zumo?
Yes, it is set to 100%

I had a ZUMO 550 weak audio problem that turned out to be in the motorcycle mount. I was able to narrow it down by trying my ZUMO 550 on another motorcycle. Installed a new mount and problem fixed.

Ron Fuller
I've already replaced the mount. No change.

Had the same problem in January with a re-conditioned Zumo. It drove me nuts. It was the internal volume of the Zumo that was set to low. With the unit powered on press the lower left button on the unit . A yellow bar graph will be displayed on the right side of the screen . This is the unit volume control. Use the buttons to raise the bars (volume) to the top... Carl
This has some promise. Not something I knew about anyway. I'll give it a try and let you know if it does the trick.

Thanks to all for the replies!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This has some promise. Not something I knew about anyway. I'll give it a try and let you know if it does the trick.
Unfortunately, this did not help. On my Zumo, the lower left button activates the speech activity for the last navigation announcement. The next button up (has a square icon) made a yellow light bulb appear with +/- and 100% superimposed. I rechecked the volume settings and all three (nav, XM, and MP3) are set at 100%.

·
Registered
560 Posts

I just had the same ZUMO 550 weak audio problem that turned out to be a bad connection in Aux Audio Cable. Remove the left pocket and play with the Aux Audio Cable while listening to your Zumo. This may resolve your problem - it did for me.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Unfortunately, this did not help. On my Zumo, the lower left button activates the speech activity for the last navigation announcement. The next button up (has a square icon) made a yellow light bulb appear with +/- and 100% superimposed. I rechecked the volume settings and all three (nav, XM, and MP3) are set at 100%.
Until you see the "yellow" bars for the volume, you are still are not there yet. Just tap the lower left button (the one with the speaker on it) to get the yellow bars and then, set at 100%...you can used the other volume feature (under settings) to control the volume in the future.

You are just seconds away from more volume.

Z

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Is the volume associated with your Zumo audio output affected by increasing or decreasing your intercom volume (my 2720 is)?

·
Registered
560 Posts

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
The best way to narrow it down at this point is to substitute a know good player, like an Ipod, into the aux jack. Make sure the volume is turned up on that device as well. Even an old Walkman CD player will work for the test.

This will tell you if the problem is in the bike or the Zumo.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Make sure you only tap the lower left button. This will give you the yellow main volume bar. If you press it and hold it too long it will give you the voice with the announcement instead of the volume control bar.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the same problem with my Zumo 550. My iPod and cd works fine. I have worn out 3 550, don't ever take it off bike just replace it when screen acts up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts