GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my low beam bulbs for the first time (a bulb had burned out) and the replacement went really well. I used a YouTube video for reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Jtx6UH9Xg There were several videos on this topic but this one showed the assembly on a bench so the visuals were easy to understand while others try and video in the small area that the arm goes into on the bike and I found those videos a bit confusing.

Whole thing, doing both sides took me about 15 mins. Far quicker and easier then I anticipated. Doing everything with just a sense of touch was not a difficult as I first imagined.

I put in Vision - X Premium White Xenon 70 watt H7's. They came with a lifetime warranty and are brighter and whiter then the original / stock bulbs.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
You should have changed both of them. The other will go out very soon. Lot of us found that out the hard way.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I just changed my low beam bulbs for the first time (a bulb had burned out) and the replacement went really well. I used a YouTube video for reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Jtx6UH9Xg There were several videos on this topic but this one showed the assembly on a bench so the visuals were easy to understand while others try and video in the small area that the arm goes into on the bike and I found those videos a bit confusing.

Whole thing, doing both sides took me about 15 mins.
Far quicker and easier then I anticipated. Doing everything with just a sense of touch was not a difficult as I first imagined.

I put in Vision - X Premium White Xenon 70 watt H7's. They came with a lifetime warranty and are brighter and whiter then the original / stock bulbs.
You should have changed both of them. The other will go out very soon. Lot of us found that out the hard way.

John, I think he did... No biggie, just easy to miss....

Good Job, Gary, Anaheim will be a little brighter place from now on!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
Where did you buy the 70 watt H7 bulbs ? I bought a pair 80 watt from china on eBay and they didn't seem any brighter than regular 55 watt H7 bulbs so after 250 miles I took them out, some folks say the extra watts could cause wiring issues. :shrug:

·
Registered
207 Posts
What will cause the other bulb to burn out any quicker? I changed one low beam about 30,000 miles ago and the other side is still burning. My theory is it's just as easy to change a bulb after it burns out as it is to change one that's still burning.

·
Registered
994 Posts
What will cause the other bulb to burn out any quicker? I changed one low beam about 30,000 miles ago and the other side is still burning. My theory is it's just as easy to change a bulb after it burns out as it is to change one that's still burning.
It's kind of funny.I had read all the posts about replacing both,but I figured WTH I had other places for the $10 so I only did the burnt out side.Keep in mind I had the fairing off at the time.Anyway I got the bike all back together Sat and fired it up.Low and behold the other lo beam was out.Saying all that though I would probably still run them until they blow seeing as they're pretty easy to change and you still have lots of lights with one burnt bulb.

·
Registered
901 Posts

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Where did you buy the 70 watt H7 bulbs ? I bought a pair 80 watt from china on eBay and they didn't seem any brighter than regular 55 watt H7 bulbs so after 250 miles I took them out, some folks say the extra watts could cause wiring issues. :shrug:
Most likely they were not pulling any more current than the 55 watt bulbs since they were no brighter than the 55 watt bulbs.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
7,008 Posts

Whole thing, doing both sides took me about 15 mins. Far quicker and easier then I anticipated. Doing everything with just a sense of touch was not a difficult as I first imagined.

Congrats...not too bad once you get the "feel".

Question...did you research running higher wattage bulbs? Not sure it's a good idea to put a 70W bulb in a 55W socket. Heat and current draw in excess of the design parameters might cause you a problem. Maybe not....but I'd sure at least research it a bit before I did so.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I agree. It's a quick simple job. I had one last quite a while after I replaced the opposite side. I keep at least one, if not a set, in the saddlebag.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Most likely they were not pulling any more current than the 55 watt bulbs since they were no brighter than the 55 watt bulbs.
I'm no electrician, but I wouldn't put any more than the OEM wattage bulbs. I've heard of the 55 watt bulbs melting the fog light wires. Hope they don't cause any issues for you though. Lifetime warranty? When the bulb burns out, the life is over, thus warranty is over. :joke:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I'm no electrician, but I wouldn't put any more than the OEM wattage bulbs. I've heard of the 55 watt bulbs melting the fog light wires. Hope they don't cause any issues for you though. Lifetime warranty? When the bulb burns out, the life is over, thus warranty is over. :joke:
If you have a manual, check out the circuit for the left low beam. Not the right, but the left. Two different circuits. The left circuit has the potential do do damage if overloaded.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Congrats...not too bad once you get the "feel".

Question...did you research running higher wattage bulbs? Not sure it's a good idea to put a 70W bulb in a 55W socket. Heat and current draw in excess of the design parameters might cause you a problem. Maybe not....but I'd sure at least research it a bit before I did so.
:agree: I've noticed that with my headlights running the stock 55 watt bulbs, the "chrome" in the headlight reflector immediately above the bulb is getting bubly looking and doesn't look too good. I would think using a higher wattage bulb would accelerate this problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts