GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled out the left low beam bulb. Tried to insert the replacement. Procedure is easy. Problem is getting the replacement bulb inserted. Tried for an hour from above and below. Any secrets?

·
Registered
9 Posts
First time I changed mine was in the parking lot of an auto parts store. I struggled for awhile and had to go back into the store and retrieve my old bulb and adapter out of the garbage can.

Be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Once the bulb is inserted in the adapter with the tab on the bulb lined up with the tab on the adapter the tab (s) must go in facing up and fit into a slot in the headlite housing assembly, only one way "exactly"!!!.

And because of this when you are doing it by feel your brain is not on the same angle or position or some such unexplained thought process, it does not seem like it will ever go.

Tip: look in there with a flash lite to see how it goes, and then quickly do it.. works every time.. or not..

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I learned this trick: when installing the left side bulb, lean over the bike from the right side using your left hand. Just the opposite for the right side. It puts your wrist and fingers in the correct position to make life easy. First bulb took 45 minutes but the second one only three minutes with this technique.

There is also a great video that shows what you're doing on a table top where you can see it! I'll try to find link but Google it and maybe you'll get lucky.

FOUND IT!

·
IronMan
18,138 Posts
Bulb only goes one way as stated once its in use a dowel rod with notch in end = can see spring clip cause your hand out of way

Reactions: Pigeon Roost

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
The little spring clip will swing over and get in the way if the bike is over on the side stand. I learned the hard way to always put the bike on the center stand.

·
Registered
17,244 Posts
The video and pics are a GREAT help to folks doing this the first time. The trick with the dowel rod is good too if you are steady at using tools at a distance. BUT now comes the high beam bulb change, OH MY! Same exact procedure and same exact bulb, but even more hidden from view and even tighter working spaces -- especially the right hand side. Houdini worthy task. If you ever have the front cowl off, DO take the opportunity to re-bulb those high beam bulbs.

prs

·
Registered
68 Posts
Take out the left and right storage bins, you will have better access to the high beams.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The tab must be at the 12 O' clock position when you insert the bulb.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
The video and pics are a GREAT help to folks doing this the first time. The trick with the dowel rod is good too if you are steady at using tools at a distance. BUT now comes the high beam bulb change, OH MY! Same exact procedure and same exact bulb, but even more hidden from view and even tighter working spaces -- especially the right hand side. Houdini worthy task. If you ever have the front cowl off, DO take the opportunity to re-bulb those high beam bulbs.

prs

Try to get around the vent lever on a comfort model. Talk about blood!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Try to get around the vent lever on a comfort model. Talk about blood!
Pull the knob off, pop the bezel off and remove the large screw that holds the vent lever. You will then have more room to get at headlight. I do this when removing top shelter also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One important piece of information. Do not touch the glass portion of the bulb with your fingers. The oil from your fingers will significantly reduce the bulb life. Clean the glass with alcohol and use a paper towel to dry it.

Regards,

Gerry

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you own a Honda auto of most types it works exactly the same EXCEPT FOR THE ADAPTOR.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
The little spring clip will swing over and get in the way if the bike is over on the side stand. I learned the hard way to always put the bike on the center stand.
The wire clip can still end up in the way when on center stand..... Sometimes, a little tape to hold the clip out of the way is well worth doing.
I had lots and lots of practice replacing H7's when I was still running H7's..... I was replacing both low beams twice a year for several years before putting that to an end with HID's.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have adapter, got the bulb inserted, hooray! Now the **** spring clip will not fasten. Push down, push in, but won't push up to catch the little hook.

To **** with it! I'm going to ride 3000 miles home with one low beam out. Let my mechanic do it. It's worth the cost.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have adapter, got the bulb inserted, hooray! Now the **** spring clip will not fasten. Push down, push in, but won't push up to catch the little hook.

To **** with it! I'm going to ride 3000 miles home with one low beam out. Let my mechanic do it. It's worth the cost.
**** Do All My Northern

**** Hope Ever Lasting Love

1 - 19 of 19 Posts