GL1800Riders Forums banner

Low beam headlight bulb

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  gene8522 
#1 ·
I am in West Yellowstone, Montana and one of my headlight bulbs went out.
Question: Can I get a replacement bulb from say NAPA? Or is it a Honda bulb?

#4 ·
Oh, and try to keep your finger prints off of them when installing. I have been told that touching them with your fingers causes short life of bulb.

#6 ·
Oh, and try to keep your finger prints off of them when installing. I have been told that touching them with your fingers causes short life of bulb.
Oh, there is no try about it…you might as well buy 2 or 3 if you are going to touch it…lol
Actually, I always buy 2 and replace them both and keep the good old one for a spare. If one went, the other is not far behind.

#8 ·
How do you get the bulb holder out of the fairing? I have one burned out an have never replaced one.. 60,000+on my 05.
There is a rubber boot that has to be removed first, then a wire spring that hooks behind a tab. It has to be released and then the bulb will be free. You can access the low beams by simply turning the handlebars to the left or right. Just a suggestion when putting the boot back on, put a little Vaseline on the inside. That will make it slip on easily.

#9 ·
Replace the OE ones in sets 2 (both low beams) and then after that as PM every 40k.

#10 ·
Yours last 40K miles? I get less mileage out of my bulbs than my tires... 10-15K for bulbs. Of course I was using SilverStars before I went HID, and SilverStars give about 70% of the lift of regular halogens.

Gene. yes get 2 and replace both. the other one is about to go too.

=Dave=

#11 ·
Guys thanks for the come back. I have a spare bulb, but it is back in Texas. I normaly buy two from the Honda shop. I was not sure if I could buy them off the shelf. But I knew who to ask....:bow:

We went to Glacier NP for 4 days, but the Going to the Sun Road is still closed with 45 to 50 feet of snow. Here at Yellowstone there is still a lot of snow up in the passes the temps are about 54 up there. But I managed a nice ride from Hungry Horse up Waterton BC and put about 300 miles on the bike.
This morning I am looking at frost to the two cars outside my RV window and we are in West Yellowstone not in the park. We are off to Spearfish in the morning for 6 days, then back to the heat in Houston.
I cheated and brought the bike up here in a trailer.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.