GL1800Riders Forums banner

Low Beam Headlight Wiring? EC Power Plate

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  jtdunc 
#1 · (Edited)
While we're talking about low headlight beams . . .

[Searched and searched for two nights here too]

Would the black/white wire running from the low beam headlight relay under the seat of my 2003 Wing serve as a good trigger to the Power Plate's relay to activate power direct from the battery? Connect to blue wire in below pic.

I'm seeking to install an EC Power Plate to clean up my battery posts and add protection.

Wil run my PIAA sport horns, top trunk USB charger and other high draw electricals from it. Will use red thinner 16 gauge wire to power my Battery Tender too. Black wire to my Master Ground Block with 10 gauge wire.

Think I'm reading my wiring diagram correctly.

Comments or tips welcome. :chatter:

As always, thank you for sharing.

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you want your power plate to switch on and off with the starter button switch? If you trigger your relay with the low beam relay power, it will go off every time you push the starter button, just like the low beams do. I would use the light green/black wire on the Accessory Relay for the trigger. This will turn on your power plate with the key in “ON” and “ACC” positions.

#3 ·
Thanks techdude2000. That relay under the seat, right?

I just want to trigger the power plate relay and not hinder my starter function. Would I still be able to run my battery charger wiring through that EC relay's red wire above?

#5 ·
@techdude2000

Spoke to Philip at EC.

Yes, he stated you can connect your hot side of your SAE connector to the Battery Charger to the 16 gauge red wire on the relay and then the ground side of your connector to ground. Then you can charge battery independent of the of relay.

Just another option to get another set of ring terminals off of your battery posts.

#6 ·
Now . . .

I'm planning on adding a pair of 11" LED strips on the rear of my Wing in the 26mm gap between our top trunk and saddelbags. Added LEDs on the front powered off the my low beam wiring behind my headlight:

Looking to power these red rear sidemarkers off of switched power. Have only two slots leftfor expansion on the EC PP. Saving one for some aux lights when I get them. Also saving the other slot for a set of heated seat pads.

Already using my ACC terminals + side to trigger that EC Power Plate. Thinking of running the LEDs off of those ACC terminals as these LED should only draw 500 milliamps each at max. Using m EC PP for LEDs - I think - would be a waste.

Could I just use the low beam relay as the trigger for the EC Power Plate?

Or could I also leave the ACC + as the EC PP trigger and just add those LEDs to the ACC + and - terminals?

#7 · (Edited)
Could I just use the low beam relay as the trigger for the EC Power Plate?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would isolate the Power Plate "load" and "trigger" power from all OEM circuits on the bike.

I would use the acc + to trigger the Power Plate....!

#8 ·
Okay, that's what I've done. Using ACC + as trigger for the EC PP relay.

But, could I also power these low power LEDs strips off of those same ACC terminals?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.