GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home yesterday and noticed that my low-beams were not working.

High beams work fine - no low beams

I checked the fuses 9 & 26 - both are good.
I then checked all the fuses - all ok.
I changed the Low-beam headlight relay with another relay - still not working.

Prior to me noticing that my low beams were out , I noticed that I could not start the wing with it in gear. IE hold in clutch and start. I used to be able to do this.

I am stumped! I know that the starter/Rev switch is connected to the lights, but don't seem to be able to find where the issue is.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Barry

·
Registered
78 Posts
One of my low beams quit shortly after I got my bike and it turned out that the bulb wasn't firmly seated in the socket.

If you're reasonably dextrous it's not difficult to pull the rubber boots off the low beams without removing any plastic. Simple enough to check the bulbs-n-sockets from there. If you touch the bulb, though, wipe it with a clean rag/paper towel/favorite t-shirt dipped in alcohol to remove the finger oils from the glass or you'll be back in there very shortly replacing the bulb.

·
Registered
21,132 Posts
Sounds like maybe the low beam bulbs have failed, I have had 2 sets replaced so far,they lasted around 25000 miles each set. Usually when one bulb goes out the other is not far behind so it's a good idea to replace in pairs. Mine were replaced free by the dealer under warranty. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
i have read this several times on this and
other boards then it happened to me

yes both bulbs DO go at the same time very
strange to me

but as the honda s/m says so offten they all
do that

remember....dont touch the bulb , the glass part
(H-7 get one anywhere) you get body oil on
them and they blow sooner

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
When one bulb goes the other is usually close behind! Maybe you just didn't notice the first one that burnt out! It seems they go out between 23,000 & 30,000. I got 29,000 out of mine.

It sounds like you have a bad or disconnected switch at the left grip. Was the kickstand up when you tried to start it in gear? There are two switches there. When you pull the clutch lever in real slow, you will hear two faint clicks!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Interesting to look at the 1800 bulb life. My low beam left side
went out at about 30,000. Rode it that day (Sunday), and
when I got home the other low beam was out, also. Bulbs dead.

High beams are still running, even hooked to a modulator.

On the GL1500, light switch left at 40,000 miles, but bulbs
lasted 50,000 and going strong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had the same problem. Both of my low beams burned out at the same time. Mine happened a trip back from Southern California over some pretty rough roads. Had the dealer check it out and they determined that the bulbs had come loose from the rough roads and vibrations cause them to go out. Replaced under warranty! :lol: I love this warranty thing it's sooooo good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts