GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have burnt several left low beams this last year. A friend riding ahead tells me my left-low beam goes up and down on its own...

What am I looking at here: relay switches gone bad? Controller box loose?

Any expertise on the matter would be highly appreciate it

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Did you park the bike on the centerstand with the engine running, get off and go look for yourself? Or are you just taking his word for it?

I can see a motor with a stripped gear or broken shaft allowing the light to flop around, but cannot see a wire short that would cause it to go up then down. Seperate circuits.

Usually caused by running car tires on the rear.....:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IR,
According to the observer, the Lt low beam goes down sometimes when I hit a bump...and then comes back up even with the other one.

I double check the installation of the bulb...solid....I have lost about 4 left low beams this last year...uncanny!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Maybe a short in the h/l beam switch? if you get off the bike and have someone wiggle the switch or tap the handlebar with the handle of a hammer to simulate road vibration while you watch the headlights. I don't know for sure, but if there was a headlight relay it may be faulty also.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Hmmmmmmm. Gremlins. Get'cha one of those little brass bells to hang down from the center cowl toward the ground. I hear they don't tolerate that very well.

Seriously; its hard to see how the motor could do that, but sit down to side and front of the bike so you can reach up in uder the tunnel and get a hold of the manual adjusters. Wiggle them -- they should be rock solid. I do not know if you could have an adjuster so far extended that it is "disarticulated", but check that too. If your friend is not shining you, it sounds as if the whole lamp assembly is loose. That would play H377 with light bulbs.

prs

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does feel loose Pigeon,

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Hang in there a second or 100 and I'll go check my own ride to see is any looseness is present.

prs

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
OK; loose is a relative term. Mine will wiggle a bit with firm force applied, but no slack or rattle like free play. Not like a long legged goose. My right side adjusters seem more firm than doe the left. My hadlamp assemblies are rock solid.

Very strange. How are you at Tupperware remove/replace? Harrrrrrr.

prs

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tupperware removal!

Yeap, that's my next plan: remove the lower and inner side cowl see if I can notice anything loose...also I will check the relays the way the manual instructs ... 'm no Fred! ... I rather ride than mechanize

1 - 9 of 9 Posts