GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My right side low beem headlight burned out . what number is this bulb , can it be bought at wally world or is it a dealer item. next how do you get to it to remove it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
H7-55watt

turn handlebars, reach in and disconnect wire, pull off boot and open clip, pull out bulb and take bulb out of bulb holder, reuse holder, replace bulb reversing the process, do not touch bulb though.

You might as well buy two bulbs because the other will go out within a couple hundred miles

·
Registered
12 Posts
Brian, Kurt failed to mention that you must remove the fairing side pocket and reach in through the hole where it was installed. He probably assumed you knew that and he's probably right, but I thought I'd mention it in any case.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Brian, Kurt failed to mention that you must remove the fairing side pocket and reach in through the hole where it was installed. He probably assumed you knew that and he's probably right, but I thought I'd mention it in any case.
No, Kurt was correct about the low beams, it's only the high beams that require removal of the fairing side pocket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Low beam bulb replacement

Low beams, just turn handlebar all the way to lft or rt depending on which bulb . . . can see back of bulb, reach in and change . . . do not have to take out fairing pocket for lows.

P.S. might help to take off watch and rings if you have big hands. If your hands are huge, get a buddy with small hands and big brain (like yours) to reach in and do it. If you touch bulb, clean with denatured alcohol.

H& cost like sin. Why could they not have used one of the more standard bulbs??????????????

·
Registered
626 Posts
Brian, Yes you can get the H7-55W at wallyworld or a auto parts store, the last ones I got at Aadvance Auto. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Now that we have changed th Bulb can anyone tell me how to align the headlights so they will be the same height,,, TIA

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
They are set that way at the factory, so that is normal.

You can change the aim, you have to remove some plastic to get to the adjusters, you might want to get a service manual before you attempt this.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Low Beem Headlight

I have had headlight bulbs replaced in four different states plus my local dealer. Never a charge. Usually the service manager walks out with a new bulb and changes it or hands me the new one and asks me to bring the old one back for him to turn in to warranty. The head lights are adjusted up and down by a hex head stud under the front nose cowling. I believe it is a 13 mm, but I am not sure. Park in front of the garage door with the bike level on the centerstand. A large piece of cardboard is also helpful because you can bring it up to the bike and easily pick out the top line. The right side is usually low. Some will say it is made that way. But to me the bike looks goofy when you meet it with one light lower than the other. Monday is my three year anniversary. 22Dec00.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
01, 100,000 miles

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ed has got it right :wink: but you can also use a 6mm allen wrench. There is an adjuster on each side at the bottom of the headlight housing, that can be reached up under the nose of the fairing near the forklegs. Lookup there you'll see them. :shock:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Yep, I learn something on this site every day. Hmmmm...for some reason, now I can't remember my phone number. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts