GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been plagued with low CB volume since day 1 (Sept 2018) of my DCT Tour. The CB was pretty much useless. I had a chance to talk to John Lazzeroni with J&M Audio at Wing Ding earlier this week. John explained that every time the Wing ignition is shut off, the Wing "forgets" the CB volume setting (a Honda problem), so each time you turn on the ignition, you turn down the squelch to #1 and you will hear the CB static in the headsets. While squelch is on #!, press the volume up button on the bluetooth headset until it is at max volume, then turn the squelch back up. I tried this and it worked. For the first time in a year I was able to hear clearly other riders on the CB. Also my riding buddies tell me my transmissions seem louder. (not sure if they are or not). This procedure is detailed on the last part of the J&M video that explains how to set up & link two J&M BT units.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I always set my cb volume in that method. I still have to run it at 20 and still can't hear it good. I can listen to the stereo at half volume just fine. This sucks. I am ready to try a new helmet to see if a better fitting helmet could cut out more noise so i could hear the cb better.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I always set my cb volume in that method. I still have to run it at 20 and still can't hear it good. I can listen to the stereo at half volume just fine. This sucks. I am ready to try a new helmet to see if a better fitting helmet could cut out more noise so i could hear the cb better.

Me too! My music volume is 8-9 and plenty loud in the headset! With the cb at 20, I can barely hear anyone at highway speed! :frown2:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've been plagued with low CB volume since day 1 (Sept 2018) of my DCT Tour. The CB was pretty much useless. I had a chance to talk to John Lazzeroni with J&M Audio at Wing Ding earlier this week. John explained that every time the Wing ignition is shut off, the Wing "forgets" the CB volume setting (a Honda problem), so each time you turn on the ignition, you turn down the squelch to #1 and you will hear the CB static in the headsets. While squelch is on #!, press the volume up button on the bluetooth headset until it is at max volume, then turn the squelch back up. I tried this and it worked. For the first time in a year I was able to hear clearly other riders on the CB. Also my riding buddies tell me my transmissions seem louder. (not sure if they are or not). This procedure is detailed on the last part of the J&M video that explains how to set up & link two J&M BT units.[/QUOT

Not to say John wrong, but, my squelch and volume never change from its setting when I turn off the bike and restart it the next time. This is the first I have heard of such a problem the way he or you are explaining it. I keep my CB volume on 12 and can hear all my other riders just fine. As a matter of fact, just about all my volume settings are the same level for each function. You are using J&M headsets right? Two questions, have you always had this problem from day one with them and second, did you do the Nav update that came out last year? The first update in case you don't know it was not for bikes with the CB radio installed and therefore did cause a lot of issues. The second update did take care of that problem.
Big H

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been plagued with low CB volume since day 1 (Sept 2018) of my DCT Tour. The CB was pretty much useless. I had a chance to talk to John Lazzeroni with J&M Audio at Wing Ding earlier this week. John explained that every time the Wing ignition is shut off, the Wing "forgets" the CB volume setting (a Honda problem), so each time you turn on the ignition, you turn down the squelch to #1 and you will hear the CB static in the headsets. While squelch is on #!, press the volume up button on the bluetooth headset until it is at max volume, then turn the squelch back up. I tried this and it worked. For the first time in a year I was able to hear clearly other riders on the CB. Also my riding buddies tell me my transmissions seem louder. (not sure if they are or not). This procedure is detailed on the last part of the J&M video that explains how to set up & link two J&M BT units.[/QUOT

Not to say John wrong, but, my squelch and volume never change from its setting when I turn off the bike and restart it the next time. This is the first I have heard of such a problem the way he or you are explaining it. I keep my CB volume on 12 and can hear all my other riders just fine. As a matter of fact, just about all my volume settings are the same level for each function. You are using J&M headsets right? Two questions, have you always had this problem from day one with them and second, did you do the Nav update that came out last year? The first update in case you don't know it was not for bikes with the CB radio installed and therefore did cause a lot of issues. The second update did take care of that problem.
Big H
Yes: The CB volume has always been low (On Sena S20 it was worse). With J&M BT04 all audio volume and quality is much better than the Sena, but the CB volume was still too low. After following John's instructions (turn down squelch until background hiss is heard in headset, press the + volume button on the headset (It takes about 4 presses) until the full volume beep is heard, then I get much higher CB volume in the headset. I still am running the CB volume at 18-20. Yes I have done the second update from last January. I checked the version screen last week to confirm that I have the latest update installed. For whatever reason, John's instructions turned my useless CB into a unit that works well at full volume.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes: The CB volume has always been low (On Sena S20 it was worse). With J&M BT04 all audio volume and quality is much better than the Sena, but the CB volume was still too low. After following John's instructions (turn down squelch until background hiss is heard in headset, press the + volume button on the headset (It takes about 4 presses) until the full volume beep is heard, then I get much higher CB volume in the headset. I still am running the CB volume at 18-20. Yes I have done the second update from last January. I checked the version screen last week to confirm that I have the latest update installed. For whatever reason, John's instructions turned my useless CB into a unit that works well at full volume.
I hear what you are saying but I don't see how someone can label this a "Honda problem", not that Honda doesn't have any problems; we all know they do. I don't know of anyone else or myself with this problem of the CB volume changing every time the engine is killed and started again. I have never had volume issues with my CB so I am wondering what could be your problem. Is this a problem from everyone who talks to you via the CB? Or do you hear some better than others? Under audio settings, your CB volume is set to max and you still have this problem? I am asking this questions to better understand and maybe can help you. Do all the other people hear you perfectly fine when you talk to them via the CB? How is the volume when not on headset setting?

Big H

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear what you are saying but I don't see how someone can label this a "Honda problem", not that Honda doesn't have any problems; we all know they do. I don't know of anyone else or myself with this problem of the CB volume changing every time the engine is killed and started again. I have never had volume issues with my CB so I am wondering what could be your problem. Is this a problem from everyone who talks to you via the CB? Or do you hear some better than others? Under audio settings, your CB volume is set to max and you still have this problem? I am asking this questions to better understand and maybe can help you. Do all the other people hear you perfectly fine when you talk to them via the CB? How is the volume when not on headset setting?

Big H
Low volume was (is) from all incoming signals. It is still pretty low volume on external speakers. This problem seems to be hit or miss on others 1833 wings. I have had several on this forum tell me their CB has identical problems that I have had and that's why I did my post on this topic hoping it may help others who can't use their CBs due to low volume. Others can hear me OK. When I had a Sena, The CB volume was low on it too. I have all my audio settings set as recommended.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Greg is right on about the CB . . . On my bike, I am heard loud & clear by everyone but I BARELY hear them when they are speaking! I hear my music clearly at a 7-8 setting in the city & on the hwy! I have the latest update, CB volume @ 20, BT-04 headsets, and helmet speakers adjusted perfectly! I am also using this J&M modulation tuning adapter:

www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=CBMT-GL1833

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Greg, I wonder if the tuning adapter is causing the decreased volume? It was designed to stop the LOUD volume when you transmitted to others using your cb.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Question, do you have your phone paired to you headset directly? If you do try unpairing the phone to headset then try the CB. If the phone is paired to the bike and your headset this may be your problem.

For some reason the motorcycle system doesn’t like this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I too have low CB volume. I do not have the J&M modulation tuning adapter. I do not have my phone paired to the headset. I started with J&M BT03s, upgraded BT04s and had the low CB volume with both. This is with everything adjusted correctly. I switched to Cardo Packtalk Bold and the volume is slightly better, but still not loud enough. Everyone can hear my CB transmissions fine and I have no problem hearing any other audio at 8-10 volume.

I have noticed that there have only been a couple of people saying the CB volume was adequate. Most posts have been complaints about lack of CB volume (my view anyway).

I also don't know why Honda limited the max CB volume to 20 but everything else has a max volume of 30. That extra 10 might make all the difference.

For what it's worth I like the Cardo Packtalk much better than the J&Ms. The sound quality is better and I really like having the VOX intercom and the Packtalks don't have the issue with the volume dropping after turning off and on again (the issue that J&M blames on Honda).

Coonsie

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Question, do you have your phone paired to you headset directly? If you do try unpairing the phone to headset then try the CB. If the phone is paired to the bike and your headset this may be your problem.

For some reason the motorcycle system doesn’t like this.
I didn't intentionally pair my phone to my bike, but when Apple Car Play is not in use, my phone shows up on the main screen under the Nav icon. I don't think I have ever bothered to access the phone from the bike's main menu. I'll double check in a couple days and make sure the bike is not paired directly to the phone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts