GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have an 03 (with a rewelded frame) and have had the low fuel light come on at least 100 km before it should and then come and go intermittently. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the problem and if so, what was the fix. The bike is still at the dealer after the frame reweld so now is the time to get it fixed if I can.
Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Ray,
Your dealer should be able to fix this. Memory ON, beware! The fuel tank has two censors. One is for indication when the tank is near full. The other is for the low fuel readings and the light. I think some have bent the float lever on the lower censor to cause the light to come on later.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The low fuel is not adjustable. If it comes on it's working. It is a heated thermistor on a fixed post that is cooled by the gas. When the gas can no longer cool it off it heats up and the fuel light comes on. Gas splashing in the tank will make it go on and off. It will come on when you have approx 1 gal (3.9liters) of fuel left in the tank.

:yw1:

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
I don't know what the cause is but mine sometimes comes on way to soon also. Gets me thinking lousey mileage? but after filling and figuring the MPG it is a gauge accuracy problem.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
From what I understand LeRoy is correct, I was looking in the service manual and was unable to find anything about it, I'm sure it's in there somewhere, but I just couldn't find it! :luf1:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Hey...

...You never said when you thought it should be coming on so pretty hard to tell if it is actually comng on early or not. Mine comes on when I have about 1.5 gallons left before it is truly empty, so I'm good for another 60 miles or so when it comes on. Also, when I am doing the twisties it will blink on and off as the gas moves from side to side in the tank. I believe this is normal and it works fine for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input,
The light normally comes on with about 5 litres of fuel left as it should.
The early warning is not consistent and does not stay on but goes on and off. It does stay on when I reach about the 5 litre mark (about 60 miles left - 100Km.)
Ray

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Use the gas milage and tank gauge, I know at least 30 mpg. Also since the electric fuel pump is possble in the gas tank, with gasloline keeping it cool, hate to let the level go to low so the pump does not overheat. I could be wrong, but better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Leroy,
Can you provide a reference for the heated thermister. I can't find it in my SM.

I mentioned the two sensors. I see two sensors in series on page 22-5 and 22-10 of the SM. This is also on page 7-2 of the ETM. I remember a thread a while back where the two gauges worked together with one of them controlling the "low" light. I also remember reading that the pump mounted sensor protected the pump. Both of these sensors should be adjustable by bending the float wire. My books are for the '01 Wing.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The light normally comes on with about 5 litres of fuel left as it should.
The early warning is not consistent and does not stay on but goes on and off. It does stay on when I reach about the 5 litre mark (about 60 miles left - 100Km.)
Ray

That's entirely normal, the reserve light going on and off is from fuel sloshing in the tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts