GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 04 Wing, I chuckled slightly at the the thought of a "low fuel light" on it. I'd never had a bike with a low fuel light. I've never ran outta gasoline on a bike... dumb luck I guess.

Tuesday morning I left my house about 5:30 AM. I noticed the fuel guage was slightly above 1/4.

I rode about 15 miles to a lumber yard to order some lumber for a cover addition around my work shop. It's over 50 miles to my work place from the lumber yard in Queen Creek AZ.

I figured I'd get gas for the scooter at lunch time. I never left work for lunch though.

After work as I head south on the I-10 towards home in the HOV lane about 80 honda mph.... a red light in the dash catches my eye.......

holy crap ! The needle is on "E". I had forgot to fuel up the scooter.

The low fuel light saved my butt on tuesday! So much for laughing at the light from now on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When the low fuel light does come on it's a good idea to know how many mpg you can get with a gallon or so of fuel left and hope there's a gas station within that limit. You can ignore the "E" on the gauge, but when the light comes on it's time to get real serious about finding fuel.

Don't ask how I know this! :oops:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
yep, with ya on that one Tony...I ride N Phoenix to central Scottsdale quite often. Filled up tonight, was just running back and forth to my son's house...with the fuel light on. At 209 miles the baby took 5.7 gal...so even on empty I have a gal reserve. Just check yours so you know. :shock:

:yw1:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Tony - I know the feeling! I like to challenge the limit on how many miles I can get out of a tank or miles after the fuel light goes on, but decided that was also foolish to not have some backup fuel in a fuel cell I keep on board. It really is amazing though how low that needle can go and how far past the E it can sink. I think my best was to add 6.5 gallons so it does run on fumes.

DaleC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts