GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 and the fuel light is coming on with nearly 2 gallons still in tank. Is there anything I can do to adjust it or do I need a lower fuel sensor.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I did a test on my Goldwing. I saw the fuel light come on and I zeroed the trip meter and rode till the bike quit. 24 miles was it! Now I know. Just an idea.

Bash.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

The manual states that the low fuel light should light when there are 1.6 gallons remaining.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I think Astuta Reader says it's normal, I go about 60 miles after light depending on MPG at time of course 75 mile per hour 35 mpg on average,
55 mph 47 mpg
so on the interstae I wouldn't push much more then 35 miles

doing an Iron butt once I was like how long has that light been on , thats scary

middle of night, finally found fuel .2 tenths left in tank

·
Registered
306 Posts
I use the trip odometer...

When I hit 200 miles...I'm looking for gas....

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
It could probably be adjusted either mecahically or maybe electrically (by experimenting with resistors).

Mechanical adjustment would involve removing the fuel pump and some trial and error adjustments to the lower float sense mechanism.

There are two fuel sender units in the tank (in series with each other electrically), one controls the upper 3/4 of the gage movement and the other on the bottom of the fuel pump controls the last 1/4 movement and the reserve light alert function. I also suspect the lower movement will shut off the fuel pump at a certain resistance level in order to prevent the pump from running dry, which will ruin it, since the gas is used to lube and cool it's bearings.

My fear would be that if you tried to adjust it, you could end up causing the fuel pump to continue to run after the tank was empty, causing it to burn up the fuel pump, or worse (use your imagination what happens when a pump overheats in the tank full of fuel vapor).

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
noticed the low fuel lite on mine seems to be coming on a little earlier lately

it always did vary a little, guess i will keep an eye on it for awhile and see if things actually changed

comming on a little to soon is a lot better than to late

for a little extra insurance i always reset the trip meter when refueling

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Its just a reminder to start looking for gas in the next fifty miles, my 04 leaves about the same amount as yours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies

Thanks for all the replies , you guys are really great. Where else can you get this much knowledge in one place and so fast, too.
I know now that I really don't have much of a problem , but I still don't like the fact that the light goes on and off a few times before it finally stays on for good. I will just watch the odometer and fuel up around 200 miles. Thanks again
And Fred ,love your CD's. Don't know what I would do without them .:bow:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Fantastic.... Stan.
I have a big 3 ring binder of great Tech informatin from this Board. It's a great quick reference.
Huge thanks to everyone who contributes.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Thanks for all the replies , you guys are really great. Where else can you get this much knowledge in one place and so fast, too.
I know now that I really don't have much of a problem , but I still don't like the fact that the light goes on and off a few times before it finally stays on for good. I will just watch the odometer and fuel up around 200 miles. Thanks again
And Fred ,love your CD's. Don't know what I would do without them .:bow:

Yes, the lean angle effects the light and the gas gauge. I've had mine go on when I'm on a hill and go off when I'm riding level. Go on when I'm parked on the side stand and go off when I'm heading level down the road. It's going to do that. I have the garmin set to run out of gas at 220 miles. That way, the garmin also starts reminding me about fuel at about 195 miles. Works pretty well. I think the question should be where is the needle pointing when you first see the light?

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
I had a similar problem, and this is what I did to fix it: http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/fuelsendermod.htm
Stan,

Could you expound on this part of your explanation a bit?

At the uppermost 'full' location the wiper read 0-1 ohms. I rebent the float arm slightly to allow the wiper to be in this range when full.
I feel it would be helpful is you could show on one of your photos exactly where you bent the rod, in which direction, and approx how much.

Thanks again for posting this info. It will probably help others who have this same issue.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Stan,

Could you expound on this part of your explanation a bit?

I feel it would be helpful is you could show on one of your photos exactly where you bent the rod, in which direction, and approx how much.

Thanks again for posting this info. It will probably help others who have this same issue.
Thanks for the suggestion. :agree: I updated the picture and explanation to make it more clear.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts