GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming back from the S&W Winger birthday sing-a-long, I noticed that my low fuel light had come on. I don't normally let it get that low, so I was unfamiliar territory.

It is my understanding that the wing has a 6.7 gallon fuel tank, .7 of it is "reserve".

Does the low fuel light come on after 6 gallons has been consumed?

I rode for another 18 miles or so, then pulled off and got gas. I was expecting to put at least 6.4 gallons or so in it, but it only took 5.9, even after riding with the low fuel light on for 15 minutes.

Does this sound right?

After the light comes on, how many miles should I expect to go before I run out? I know this will vary somewhat based on how you ride.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
My light went on also right when I drove into my neighborhood. I have had it come on at 1/4 mark several times and it held almost 6 gal. I usually can go about 230 miles before the light comes on but today it came on at 205 miles. Must be the dang corn gas that we have to buy now. Mileage has dropped 3 or 4 mpg since having to use this junk. I should have went to Tampa and back easily on a tank of fuel without the light coming on, but not now.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Fuel Low Light

My fuel low light comes on when the needle hits the last white mark above empty. If I fill right away, I will put about 5.3-5.5 gal in. When the light comes on you should be able to do 50 miles. It was the same with my 2006 also.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
On page 124 of the owner's manual it states that the fuel tank in the GL1800 holds 6.74 US gallons.

On page 20 of the owner's manual it states that the fuel low warning light "comes on when there is about 1.16 US gallons left in the fuel tank."

How far you will go on that amount of fuel before it quits running will vary, depending on traffic, your speed, weather and road conditions, head/tail wind, etc. If you're like most GL1800 riders, you should average around 37--41 mpg, so take it from there. Again, I emphasize "average," not you will get that kind of mileage. Some never get more than 35--37 mpg, and others routinely report getting gas mileage in the mid to upper 40's. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
On page 124 of the owner's manual it states that the fuel tank in the GL1800 holds 6.74 US gallons.

On page 20 of the owner's manual it states that the fuel low warning light "comes on when there is about 1.16 US gallons left in the fuel tank."

How far you will go on that amount of fuel before it quits running will vary, depending on traffic, your speed, weather and road conditions, head/tail wind, etc. If you're like most GL1800 riders, you should average around 37--41 mpg, so take it from there. Again, I emphasize "average," not you will get that kind of mileage. Some never get more than 35--37 mpg, and others routinely report getting gas mileage in the mid to upper 40's. Your results may vary.
I appreciate you reading the owners manual. Someone's gotta do it! That sounds about right too, based on my experiences.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I've gone 50 miles after the light came on
... two up and pulling a uni-go ...

put in 6.7 filled to the rim of the gas cap ...

Dennis

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
only had my fuel light go on 2 times in two years. I refuse to gas up in Canada at 98 cents a liter when i can get gas in the us at 57 cents a liter. since i gas the bike up at two times a week, it is a substantial savings for me.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I've intentionally run mine out of gas 3 times, got 64, 72 and 79 miles after the light came on. I feel safe in saying that I can go 50 miles after the light is on.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I suspect there are some variances between bikes as far as the sensor is conserned. When the light comes on, it is probably time to start looking but based on what is posted above, one probably has quite a bit of time left. I guess an easy way to tell is to fill up immediately upon seeing the light and subtract the fill-up results from 6.7 and see what you got. For me it is about 1.5 gallons which should give me 50-60 miles; usually plenty of time to find something.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Rely On Trip Odometer

I rely on the trip odometer - reset it to zero after fill up, then at 200 miles I start looking.

The light on my 1500 quit without my knowledge. I went for a long time thinking how great my mpg must be - filled up with 6.0 gal for a 6.3 gal tank. That's the last time I relied on a low fuel light!

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
as to when the low fuel lite comes on i have noticed on my bike it does vary somewhat and i have watched this a lot, seems like usually there is about 1.5 gallons left when the lite comes on but sometimes its a little less

i figure driving normally i can ALWAYS go at least 40 miles without worry after the low fuel lite comes on, i have actually gone over 70 miles a couple of times and never ran out but would not recommend it

·
Registered
443 Posts
as to when the low fuel lite comes on i have noticed on my bike it does vary somewhat and i have watched this a lot, seems like usually there is about 1.5 gallons left when the lite comes on but sometimes its a little less

i figure driving normally i can ALWAYS go at least 40 miles without worry after the low fuel lite comes on, i have actually gone over 70 miles a couple of times and never ran out but would not recommend it

+1

·
Registered
414 Posts
I can get 40 miles easily when the light comes on steady. The fuel light will usually come on and turn off three or four times before staying on steady. It will vary what it takes to refill but I usually have a gallon minimun when it comes on steady.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I've gone 50 miles after the light came on
... two up and pulling a uni-go ...

put in 6.7 filled to the rim of the gas cap ...

Dennis
I think it would be safer to fill to BELOW the rim of the gas cap. Overfilling the tank can damage the vent system, saturating the charcoal canister and requiring a fairly expensive repair.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Thw manual says you've got right at one gallon reserve capacity left when the low fuel light illuminates.

·
Registered
677 Posts

The new ones must have a smaller tank, my new 08 book says 6.6 gal. & the light comes on with a gal. left. It hasn't got her yet but will be by the end of the week I hope, not all things have come in for them to put on it. :excited:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts