GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my Goldwing buds, I got a oil question (sorry) about low mileage oil changes.

I have a low mileage '15 Toyota Highlander (synthetic oil), and a '12 Goldwing (Honda's Dino oil)

My problem is on a yearly basis on both vehicles, I never come close to the required monthly oil change requirements on miles.

Is time just as important to change oil over mileage, and can I extend the time while adding more miles?

Cheers to All.

·
Registered
236 Posts
NOW YOU ASKED AND YOU WILL RECEIVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS. I used to be in the same situation as you. I would always change the oil at 5k or 1 year which ever came first. Once the oil is in the vehicle the detergent packages and additives start to degrade.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes, time is important, just as the mileage is. I would follow the owners manual for the time span they suggest but would not exceed more than one year on the oil, unless an oil anylasis indicated that the oil was good to go. The filter should be changed at the recommended time or at least once a year also. Corrosion protection additives wear out over time. Amsoil signature series and top tier motor oil lines are the only products I know that recomends extended oil change intervals. 1 year or the recommended mileage for the oil application, whichever occurs first.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Oil changes are cheap insurance. Even after short distances contaminants start building up and cause corrosion. My truck gets about 1500 miles a year on it but I still change the oil and filter. Besides it's a good time to be giving the vehicles a good look over to ward off other problems.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
If nothing else, change the oil before putting the bike up for the winter to get the containaments out. The old oil may have acids from combustion and moisture.

"WHOOPS, you live in Fla, no winter there."
My car and truck very seldom get to the recommended mileage in a year. I always change it twice a year, spring and fall. The bike as needed and before I put it to bed for the winter.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what I get out of all your reply's is change the oil and filter once a year if I have low mileage, correct?

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Ok my Goldwing buds, I got a oil question (sorry) about low mileage oil changes.

I have a low mileage '15 Toyota Highlander (synthetic oil), and a '12 Goldwing (Honda's Dino oil)

My problem is on a yearly basis on both vehicles, I never come close to the required monthly oil change requirements on miles.

Is time just as important to change oil over mileage, and can I extend the time while adding more miles?

Cheers to All.
When it comes to oil questions, most likely all you'll get here are opinions ... and everyone has one of those. So for your best answer, consult your Owner's Manuals and remember this. There is nothing wrong with doing maintenance early; however, there can be everything wrong with doing it late. Unfortunately, many 5th gen owners are now discovering that in various ways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts