GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?::?::?: After putting '06 engine in my '04 GL1800A, replacing sensors to '04 level I started engine. I also installed new upper and lower throttle cables and cleaned out the Cruise switch in 1 of the cables. When I started the bike, the high speed seems ok, but low speed idle is either very low, rough and/or hunting or the bike stalls out. I removed and cleaned throttle body including idle screws and changed out IAVC sensor with the '06 throttle body and then reassembled. Still low idle no good. When I disconnect IAVC runs better ~ 700-800 rpm. No Cold idle higher warmup speed. Fans kick in, so ECT sensor seems ok. Temp gauge works. So both sides of ECT seem ok. Is it possible that a vacuum leak somewhere may be causing this ? PAIR valves ? Any suggestions or steps to take would be helpful. Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Steve, Glad to hear you are up and running (at least getting there!) Have you reset the ECM by starting the bike without touching the throttle and letting it run until the fans kick in? Sounds like it may just be on a learning curve with all the different sensors. I would try that first if it has not already been done. after that, some smarter folks than i will be along shortly...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rev.. I tried to teach ECM new rules, but bike won't run long enough to learn. I am wondering if the ECT issue or something similar is the cause. I cleaned throttle body with gasoline, as is not recommended to use carb cleaner because of molybdenum in throttle chamber. I may revert over to the 06 Throttle body and see if that causes any changes, but will need to swap some sensor '04 has 3 connectors 06 has 4 After a few tries, plugs seem wet. I put in new set of iridium plugs today to... IACV sensor disconnect improved idle, but get F1 light with it off it appears. I tried to isolate all common sensors and don' t if I Missed any.
Steve, Glad to hear you are up and running (at least getting there!) Have you reset the ECM by starting the bike without touching the throttle and letting it run until the fans kick in? Sounds like it may just be on a learning curve with all the different sensors. I would try that first if it has not already been done. after that, some smarter folks than i will be along shortly...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Vendor
18,473 Posts
Any idea how to build the SCS Connector like Honda uses ! 070PZ–ZY30100 ffor 2004
Is a SCS a vehical speed sensor? If so I get most of my connectors from here http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/110_Connectors/110_connectors.html

Received 06 Driveshaft today. Wednesday, picking up used rear from 08 with 10k. Is it possible to make the 06 THROTTLE BODY look like the 04 by swapping sensors and part from 04 THROTTLE BODY ?
Sorry, have not been following your other posts but need to know if the compression is good and valve timing is in proper time .... has all that been checked? I have no idea if switching throttle bodies bases is ok or not, so at this point, work with one with a part number for a 2004. However, your idle issue is not caused from cleaning the throttle body, but could be caused from removing the idle air screws. In section 5 of the Service Manual there is a section that covers idle speed. Have the warnings in the white space on the right been followed? When those screws were removed, do you count the turns out and back in?

If the valve timing needs checked, send me your email address, and I'll send you back a drawing on how to check valve timing. To me the manual is confusing. Diagnosis always starts with checking the mechanical stuff first. Also, for testing reason, there needs to be NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs in it to establish a baseline and spark that can be counted on.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,560 Posts
The ECT as well as the IAT are used for the cold engine choke mode. A problem with that sensor wiring loop can cause all sorts of issues. Did you track down the issue with the wiring?

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:?
Is a SCS a vehical speed sensor? If so I get most of my connectors from here http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/110_Connectors/110_connectors.html

Sorry, have not been following your other posts but need to know if the compression is good and valve timing is in proper time .... has all that been checked? I have no idea if switching throttle bodies bases is ok or not, so at this point, work with one with a part number for a 2004. However, your idle issue is not caused from cleaning the throttle body, but could be caused from removing the idle air screws. In section 5 of the Service Manual there is a section that covers idle speed. Have the warnings in the white space on the right been followed? When those screws were removed, do you count the turns out and back in?

If the valve timing needs checked, send me your email address, and I'll send you back a drawing on how to check valve timing. To me the manual is confusing. Diagnosis always starts with checking the mechanical stuff first. Also, for testing reason, there needs to be NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs in it to establish a baseline and spark that can be counted on.
I have the GL1800 NGK Iridium plugs installed. I did put Fuel injector cleaner in the tank, too earlier. The Throttle body screws went in 3 1/4 turns, so that's where I put them after cleaning. It idles higher if I place something in the throttle stop next to the upper throttle cable. I was looking for Service connector config, to erase memory through DTC connector under seat. SCS connector page 5-4 of SM procedure page 5-10. (01-05 GL1800 CD). '01 to '03 is a simple jumper short, in '04 they need the connector ... is there a resistor in the loop ? I figured that since fans came on that one side of ECT ok and since temp guide worked ok, the other side ok. May still have issue with harness open... that I need to look into further, but for now it seems to be holding. Could too much FI Cleaner cause this problem ? I will recheck all the compression again. Earlier with oil in each cylinder was getting around ~200+~ before installed in bike. Can throw my timing light on too, but will need to force idle up. Regards, Steve

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MAP and TP Sensor switched

:? I have the GL1800 NGK Iridium plugs installed. I did put Fuel injector cleaner in the tank, too earlier. The Throttle body screws went in 3 1/4 turns, so that's where I put them after cleaning. It idles higher if I place something in the throttle stop next to the upper throttle cable. I was looking for Service connector config, to erase memory through DTC connector under seat. SCS connector page 5-4 of SM procedure page 5-10. (01-05 GL1800 CD). '01 to '03 is a simple jumper short, in '04 they need the connector ... is there a resistor in the loop ? I figured that since fans came on that one side of ECT ok and since temp guide worked ok, the other side ok. May still have issue with harness open... that I need to look into further, but for now it seems to be holding. Could too much FI Cleaner cause this problem ? I will recheck all the compression again. Earlier with oil in each cylinder was getting around ~200+~ before installed in bike. Can throw my timing light on too, but will need to force idle up. Regards, Steve
After I put MAP and TP sensor on correct connection the idle smoothed out. 2006 model uses a different connector type for MAP and TP. 2004 uses same connector type, same keying but different color. Problem solved

1 - 12 of 12 Posts