GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay the title pretty much sums it up. I have read on several post that they will not fix the Wobble under warranty. Can someone explain to me why that it. It seems like the warranty should be that the bike will run and perform as expected of a new bike. I don't think anyone expects a new $23,000. bike to wobble.

Why is it acceptable and how are they getting away with it.

Tom

·
Registered
367 Posts
How many miles do you have on your bike? The reason I'm asking is because I had the wobble too. But I'm not sure exactly when it started. I doubt that it was there when I first drove it out of the showroom. I only became aware of my wobble after I read about others on here that were experiencing it. The wobble was not noticeable unless you took your hands off the bars momentarily. Eventually, I needed new tires. Once the new tires were put on, the wobble completely disappeared. I now have about 7000 miles on those "new" tires, and I am just now starting to detect a slight wobble returning. It will no doubt get a little worse the more miles I put on those tires. But at least I know that when I get new tires again, the wobble will disappear. That tells me that the wobble is no the fault of the bike, but either from tire wear ...OR......perhaps after a few thousand miles, the tires go out of balance, maybe? It's really not an issue for me, as like I said, you don't even notice it unless you take your hands off of the bars. Since I don't make a habit of riding handsfree......I'm not worried about it. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
...........as my old 1500 mechanic said to me when I complained of the very same issue........"Don't take your hands off the handlebars - that's just silly!"

This is a longstanding issue, for instance my '98 1500 displayed exactly the same issue. New tires, no wobble at 30mph when you took your hands off. If you look at your tires as they get older, you will often see cupping (in particular on the front) and I, for one, attribute the issue to this possibly.

Was harbouring (canadian spelling!) ill will regarding this funny pattern of wear on GoldWings until I had my attention drawn to the severely cupped front tire on my buddy's BMW 1600 GTL.............

So I suspect this cupping has much to do with the sheer weight of our machines. But I HAVE been wrong once or twice before!

As a consequence, I use this wobble as a early warning that my tires are getting worn........lemonade out of lemons?

Cheers!

T.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the bike is new to me. I picked it up it had 7,700 miles on the 25th of April. Now I am about 11,400. I think the tires will be down to the tread bars front and rear in about 1,000 miles.

I am familiar with the wobble on other bikes like the HD Road Glides. It was also an issue on some of the ST1300's if you added a trunk. Some say it is due to the trunk and aerodynamics. I do know that a steering head bearing replacement on my Road Glide and on my Valkyrie and my VTX all made a huge difference in how the bike handled but only the RG and GW actually had the wobble. (both have trunks too???) The VTX and Valkyrie just wanted to wonder a bit.

It has been my experience that tightening or replacing the bearing fixed the problem. Just wonder why Honda refuese to acknowledge a problem?

Oh and even though the tires are near the end of their life they are not cupping and actually look like new minus a few milimeters of rubber. In other words no unusual tread wear.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well the bike is new to me. I picked it up it had 7,700 miles on the 25th of April. Now I am about 11,400. I think the tires will be down to the tread bars front and rear in about 1,000 miles.

I am familiar with the wobble on other bikes like the HD Road Glides. It was also an issue on some of the ST1300's if you added a trunk. Some say it is due to the trunk and aerodynamics. I do know that a steering head bearing replacement on my Road Glide and on my Valkyrie and my VTX all made a huge difference in how the bike handled but only the RG and GW actually had the wobble. (both have trunks too???) The VTX and Valkyrie just wanted to wonder a bit.

It has been my experience that tightening or replacing the bearing fixed the problem. Just wonder why Honda refuese to acknowledge a problem?

Oh and even though the tires are near the end of their life they are not cupping and actually look like new minus a few milimeters of rubber. In other words no unusual tread wear.
I couldn't see any sign of cupping on my tires either, and yet, once I got new tires, the wobble disappeared. That was the first thing I checked for during my ride home after getting the new tires. So if my wobble was due to any other cause other than the tires.......then I would have still had the wobble AFTER getting the new tires. This is just my opinion, but I think it's a case of the tires going out of balance after there is significant wear on them.....whether there is cupping or not. The only way to know would be to rebalance the tires without replacing them to see if it fixed the wobble. But I don't worry about it any more. It's no longer an issue for me. As someone else said, I just take it as a sign that I will soon need new tires.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I resolved my wobble on my 2012 with new Bridgestone tires and DynaBeads. BUT, only temporarily. The "fix" lasted about 4,000 miles. The more the tires wear, the wobble returned. After 8,000 miles the wobble is back. New tires going on later this month with DynaBeads, so I will see if it "fixes" it again.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
My 2012 started to wobble around the 500 mile mark with both hands on the grips,accel and decel,both tires were replace under warranty and it hasn't wobbled since.

Okay the title pretty much sums it up. I have read on several post that they will not fix the Wobble under warranty. Can someone explain to me why that it. It seems like the warranty should be that the bike will run and perform as expected of a new bike. I don't think anyone expects a new $23,000. bike to wobble.

Tom

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The ONLY warranty issue Honda will address is an issue Honda sees as a problem. You don't count! The wobble is only one problem, soft paint is another, and just wait till the cold engine stumble causes you to drop the bike. Honda simply sticks their head in the sand and denies it's a problem, so no warranty coverage.

·
Registered
401 Posts
soap box....

[stands on soap box]
This issue has been discussed in hundreds of posts. /sigh
[steps down off soap box]
...gene

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let me start by saying I am not a mechanic as I don't know a cylinder from a fan belt. However, I had the wobble beginning early on on the original stones. They were replaced at about 11k and I now have about 9k on the new stones (same tire) and there is no wobble. I now keep 40 psi in the front and 41 in the rear versus 36 in the front previously. It would seem to me the only explanation for the wobble is it is either the tire itself, the balancing or tire pressure (or a combination of all 3). The only things that changed were those three. Just my 2 cents! Ride safe!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very interesting video.

So why is it increasing the torque on the head bearings or putting in tapered bearing in often times fixes the problem. I have had to replace the head bearing in alone of my HD Road Glides, my Valkyrie, and VTX. It improved the ride in each dramatically. The RG was the only one with the wobble and that was after I replaced the bearing but had not tightened them down enough. The other bikes just wanted to wander a bit.

Is the wobble wearing out the head bearings? Or are bad head bearing causing the wobble hence causing the tire wear hence causing more wobble which in turn wears out the head bearing faster....?

My head hurts now.

Tom

·
Registered
820 Posts
It's inherent to this bike. Always was, so I look a it this way, Keep at least one hand on the bars and you won't feel the wobble. It's only when you take both hands off and at a certain speed you may feel it anyway.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Very interesting video.

So why is it increasing the torque on the head bearings or putting in tapered bearing in often times fixes the problem. I have had to replace the head bearing in alone of my HD Road Glides, my Valkyrie, and VTX. It improved the ride in each dramatically. The RG was the only one with the wobble and that was after I replaced the bearing but had not tightened them down enough. The other bikes just wanted to wander a bit.

Is the wobble wearing out the head bearings? Or are bad head bearing causing the wobble hence causing the tire wear hence causing more wobble which in turn wears out the head bearing faster....?

My head hurts now.

Tom
Increasing the torque creates a slight drag that dampens what you feel in the handlebars. It doesn't fix the problem, it just masks the symptom.

I've owned four GL1800s and the only time I have had the wobble was once with a brand new front tire that was bad. I did have tapered bearings on that bike, but they were installed only because we had the front end down at the time anyway and I think that the tapered bearing is a better product.
The three Wings I have had since all have had stock bearings that have not been torqued over factory spec, and as i said, no wobble. I don't know if I'm just lucky or it's my tire/pressure combination. All I know is my bikes have not had the symptom

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I still have a slight wobble with my 2012. I've got a idea that it has more to do with the tires than anything else. As long as it doesn't create a safety issue Honda isn't going to do anything about it. Out of the 8 Gold Wings my 2012 is the only one that has had a wobble. It has a rear tire that has about 3/32" run-out. I'm fairly sure that has got to be contributing to the wobble. It's just the idea that the wobble is there and it shouldn't be is the biggest disappointment.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay I will finally have a day off so I plan on pulling the tire, checking the balance and raising the tire pressure from 36 to 41 and see what happens.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay I had a day off so I pulled the front tire of and rechecked the balance. It was dead on. I did notice a bit of wave in the wear pattern when I could exam it better with the fender off.
I increased the pressure to 41 psi and there is a notable decrease in the wobble. It is still there but greatly reduced so to me this proves the problem is partly due to the inflation of the tire starting a irregular wear pattern. I believe once the pattern start there is no stopping it.

I will be replacing the tire within the next month or two at the most. I am at 2/32's according to my gauge. The tread bars are almost there but not quite yet.

Thanks for the help.
Tom

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Okay I had a day off so I pulled the front tire of and rechecked the balance. It was dead on. I did notice a bit of wave in the wear pattern when I could exam it better with the fender off.
I increased the pressure to 41 psi and there is a notable decrease in the wobble. It is still there but greatly reduced so to me this proves the problem is partly due to the inflation of the tire starting a irregular wear pattern. I believe once the pattern start there is no stopping it.

I will be replacing the tire within the next month or two at the most. I am at 2/32's according to my gauge. The tread bars are almost there but not quite yet.

Thanks for the help.
Tom
I think you have a completely normal Goldwing. The front end seems extremely sensitive to changes in front tire alignment, strut height changes, worn or poor tires, etc. mine has it some times after a tire change and sometimes it doesn't. I do ALL of my own tire changes and strut work. I also run Centramatics (they won't take away the "wobble"). The least wobble I have had for the longest amount of time was with my previous BT45 "front" tire.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Tom
Tom, you want Honda to warranty a wobble?

Here's a bigger problem that should be addressed under Honda's warranty that we know about but don't do anything about it, Speedometers and Odometers.
Our Goldwing odometers/speedometers are NOT accurate and are registering on the high side.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts