GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with my rear speakers in that they have far less volume than the front ones. The sound quality of the rear ones is much worse too but I suspect this is just poor quality speakers. A few months ago I had LarryM do his modification on the radio and I must confess I have not gotten around to replacing the speakers with the ones he recommended (I am hoping you read this and respond Larry as I forgot which speakers you recommended) but I think I still should get much more volume out of the back speakers than I am. Presently, in order to hear anything out of them I have to turn the fader almost all the way to the rear. When I first installed the rear speakers I had to make up my own plug to plug in under the seat and I had the four pins in the wrong configuration and had no sound but that has been sorted out. I am sure there are lots of folks who have messed around with speakers a lot more than me so I am all ears!!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
LarryM recommends the Polk 501's, which I have (front and rear) in my 2002.

Yes, the rear speakers have less volume than the front because the rear are not sealed as well as the front speakers are, IMO.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rear speakers

Thanks for the reply, I don't suppose you could tell me the best place top get them and cost?
Thanks
Reg

·
Registered
335 Posts
Its funny, I noticed the same thing yesterday. I ordered a small amplifier yesterday to run the rear speakers. I bought a mini amp off ebay for 16.00. I think it will be perfect for the rear speakers. I will let you know if it works.

·
Registered
43 Posts
rear speakers

Bought my polk 501's off good ol' ebay. Did it twice... once for the fronts, then again later for the rears. I see no-one is giving them away this week, but if you use patience, I was able to snag mine for about $50 per pair, shipped.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I'd hook up some known "Good" speakers out back, just to make sure if the current rears are toast or not. Would not be a bad idea to recheck your wiring, everytime you open the trunk there is a chance the speaker wires are being damaged...

I run the Polk 501 all the around with excellent results.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-5-Inch-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/tech-data/B000P0PF78[/ame]

Installing a speaker baffle underneath each rear speaker helped a lot with volume and sound quality. Of course Larry's Radio mod was the best improvement, any "add on" amplifier is just a waste of money.

If you can't hear your rear speakers or their volume is very low compared to the fronts there is something not right with your setup...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts