GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have had my EdSets for at least 6 months now. I have played with them a lot. With and without ear plugs but the volume in the headset is terribly low. I would much rather wear earplugs while riding.

I checked out the FAQ on the EdSet site and it says there is an attenuator in line on the headset cord. It says to trace the line back down under the accessory box and disconnect the attenuator. I just took out my accessory box and chased the line as far as I could but there is an airduct blocking my progress. Can someone look in the books for a 2012 and see if their is an inline attenutor down there before I tear into this?

Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just read something out on the internet that there are two inline resisters further down the headset cord. Does anyone have a schematic to look up what those are? Could they be cutting the sound to my helmet? Do they have something to do with impedance matching? Would they have to be cut out or could they be jumped in the short term to see if it makes a difference in the sound?

Thank you,

Fred

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Well I'm confused...I have the J&M Elites and the recently installed Ed Sets and can't really say I am getting decent volume out of either one???

The Ed Sets are louder and much thinner, more comfortable...... but I wear ear plugs and neither set has the volume needed, when used at 70 - 75 mph. I wish there was a fix.

Also, I wear Shoei Quest FF helmets....fairly quiet helmet.

Keep us posted, thanks...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Fred,
Are you pretty familiar with the method for setting the volume for the various functions of the audio system? Are you able to get suitable volume levels and above when sitting still with your helmet on? Are your helmet speakers aligned over your ears?
I have an Arai full face helmet with the J&M Elite headset in it and I always wear ear plugs. I am able to get suitable volume levels with my setup. For the present I have quit using the automatic volume system that compensates for speed, and just make my adjustments manually. It’s possible that if you are getting wind noise into your mic that the system is muting the music to allow for voice communication.
Your Ed Sets may be fine, I’ve never used one, but I know that I’m not having that problem with my J&M. J&M offer a thin speaker set as well if that is an issue in your helmet.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,291 Posts
The attenuator they are talking about has to be put on by you. When you buy the passenger volume control, there's an attenuator that you install on the drivers headset line under the pocket. If you don't have the passenger volume control, then you don't have any attenuator. The bike has no attenuator from the factory.

·
Registered
210 Posts
volume

I just got back from a month on the road and I noticed that when listening to a radio station the volume would get lower and lower as it got more distant when using the helmet speakers and yet the bikes speakers were still loud and clear when I switched to them. when I switch to the USB stick that doesn't happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts