GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, new owner as of thanksgiving first post... After searching and not finding the answers, tht Id ask.
Fist, got a thousand miles on her and I know the first interval is 4k, but I wanted to change the oil. Got the lower cowl off easy enuff but the long bolts on each end will not bite. Ive tried putting the other bolts on first (not easy either, I might add), and tried putting the long bolts in first, nothing works. Any help wud be appreciated.
Second, do those of u w/fact. heated grips find the warmth close to the pods and away from the bar end. They get toasty on the inside, but I have to cram my fists in there to get at the heat.
Lastly, one of the reasons for the oil change was I was getting a low end grinding noise, not to be confused w/low end grunt. Is that the way it is supposed to sound? Cud this be just the tappy valves settling in?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Should've Never have taken the cowl off to change the oil. No reason to. My grips are pretty toasty all the way through, front to back. You called it a bottom end noise. Valves are in the heads. Only noise you might hear would be the injectors - a slight tick.

·
Registered
143 Posts
noise

Just a thought on that low noise. I thought that I had a problem after several thousand miles, than I learned from this board the factory tires make an aweful noise in turns. That would be my suspicion. Tom

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Tom,

Line up the long bolts on the cowl first. They go thru the holes on the cowl, the painted lower and the black thing above the cowl. Then do the ones by the header on each side then the last 2 to the front of the bike.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mr.B, I can now see how it is possible to change oil & filter without removing the damn thing,,,foolish me followed the manual!

Lewis, u r right! I did it like u said, wasnt exactly easy, but she's on! Thx. BTW whats up w/those plastic popper rivets? Yuck!

Tom, et al, the low noise is upon acceleration, which is what I meant by low end grunt/grind. When I pull away or roll on, I get a gravely sound instead of a growl. Oil change did not stop it. Thats why I think it may be the valves tappin/breakin in? When Im not accelerating, she makes a whir like Im sure ur all familiar with. Does ur bikes make a different sound from acceleration to leveling off?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
jeff123 said:
Mr.B, I can now see how it is possible to change oil & filter without removing the damn thing,,,foolish me followed the manual!

Lewis, u r right! I did it like u said, wasnt exactly easy, but she's on! Thx. BTW whats up w/those plastic popper rivets? Yuck!

Tom, et al, the low noise is upon acceleration, which is what I meant by low end grunt/grind. When I pull away or roll on, I get a gravely sound instead of a growl.
Hello you may be "lugging the engine"(to much throttle to little RPMS) it could be each cylinder power pulse you are hearing/feeling...chuck [quote:30m63j1x]Oil change did not stop it. Thats why I think it may be the valves tappin/breakin in? When Im not accelerating, she makes a whir like Im sure ur all familiar with. Does ur bikes make a different sound from acceleration to leveling off?
[/quote:30m63j1x]

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
jeff123 said:

Tom, et al, the low noise is upon acceleration, which is what I meant by low end grunt/grind. When I pull away or roll on, I get a gravely sound instead of a growl. Oil change did not stop it. Thats why I think it may be the valves tappin/breakin in? When Im not accelerating, she makes a whir like Im sure ur all familiar with. Does ur bikes make a different sound from acceleration to leveling off?
jeff123,
those plastic pins are mean't to be used to hold up the lower cowl and make alignment of the bolts easier. Mine had a growl when new but it was from the final drive unit. I changed final drive lube to Amsoil severe gear 75-90W and it quieted it down completely. Lastly that annoying whine is the alternator, they all seem to have it to some degree. Terry

·
Registered
337 Posts
jeff123 said:

Sounds like a lil clutch chatter to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts