GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please post a picture of the location of the lower fog light plug on an '06? The ones in the lower cowling are obvious. I have found those. I am speaking of the one under the shelter. I plan to go at this through the left pocket if at all possible.

Thanks,

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry to be the one to tell you this but the 06 plug is tucked down under the shelter on the left side near the vent. I've installed the Fog Lights on my 06 and could not get to it without taking the shelter loose. Pain in the butt to do but I don't think there's any way to reach it and pull it up safely.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Isn't the insite of Honda engineers wonderful ?
they are making it harder and harder to do any work on the GL1800
every year..

cosmic

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So with the left pocket removed, there is no way to get your arm down to the plug to connect it?

I was really hopeful to not have to remove the shelter.

Thanks,

·
Registered
244 Posts
On my 06 I got to the plug with just the left pocket removed and left switch housing out. Its in one of those stupid boots and there was no room for the boot to move on the loom so I cut it off. Getting to the plug then was a piece of cake.

Before anyone tells me the boot was there for weather protection, I would argue as it's open end pointed upwards it wouldn't have served its purpose.

Regards,

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Burger said:
On my 06 I got to the plug with just the left pocket removed and left switch housing out. Its in one of those stupid boots and there was no room for the boot to move on the loom so I cut it off. Getting to the plug then was a piece of cake.

Before anyone tells me the boot was there for weather protection, I would argue as it's open end pointed upwards it wouldn't have served its purpose.

Regards,

Dave,

You have at least given me hope. My left housing is quite a bit larger than yours judging from your picture since all of my radio controls are there. It extends within about 2 inches of the top of the vent. I hope to be able to get in that way if possible. I just hope the plug is in the same spot on the airbag model. I would still like a picture so that I know what I am looking for.

Thanks,

·
Registered
97 Posts
I could if someone can tell me how to insert a photo into my response... I have a photo of it.[/img]

·
Registered
97 Posts

This is what you are looking for... It is tucked in beside the vent. Mine has the boot facing down.

Your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jim,

Thanks!

Can I assume the driving light harness is the black plug with the green/white/and white green tracer wires in the picture?

Red,

Yes there is one made but only Honda has them as far as I know. I plan to use the Big Bike Parts kit. I am going to cut the switch out of the system and splice the two wires together. I want them on all the time anyway.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I just did this job last week on an 07. After your remove the switch housing that is below the left pocket, reach inside and feel for the boot. There is room to pull it up far enough to plug in the switch control.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
07, 2300 miles

·
Registered
97 Posts
I believe so. Since I did not have the information that you now have. I removed the shelter (a real pain) instead of loosening it. If you can tug the right cable up out of that spot then you are in business. I would be cautious about pulling too hard.

A couple of notes about the shelter. Take a piece of cardboard and punch holes in it to match the screws you take out. The screws are not the same, and must be put back in the correct holes for everything to go back together properly. Put the screws in the holes you punched when you take them out - makes reassembly a snap.

Use a small blade screw driver (one used for a computer should work) to lift the tab on the switch cable connector. Saves a lot of time and cuss words - you can get the connector apart in seconds with no sweating...

Everything else is pretty much straight forward.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You know I've been in the left pocket area so often I think I got my plugs mixed up. It was the riders headset I had to cut the upside down boot off... not the fog light cable and plug. I did manage to get to that without any problems through the left pocket although as I had the switch housing out at the time I seem to remember that made it a lot easier.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
It was pretty easy to get to on mine. Fairing pocket and preload controls plate removed. My EC instructions for my lights said use the red connector?? Works well for me. Shouldn't have to raise the shelter?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts