GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
That's really not much of a problem unless he decides it is. I also had a 94 1500, I am of average height but have short legs, 27" inseam, I could only put one foot on the ground at a time, I put a lot of miles on that bike and never had a problem.

A few years ago I was at a Gold Wing rally, a bunch of us were standing out front talking, a little old lady, looked to be in her 70's, no more than 5' tall and probably less than 100 lbs, walked out of the building and got into the trunk of a 1500, pulled out a helmet, jumped on that 1500 and rode off! There were several of us standing around stunned!

If it is a really big problem the seat padding can be cut down to lower the rider, of course you are trading height for comfort, another thing that helps is to slide forward on the seat when you stop, the seat narrows towards the front and helps the leg reach a bit.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Wingman,

Shame on you for calling a 27" inseam as short....LOL

I could tell you what short is, but I am going to have to plead the 5th.

Bulldog

·
Registered
191 Posts
I rode top-heavy Beemers for 16 years, 31.9" seat height and a 30" inseam, and I never had a problem, even when I was towing my trailer. You only put one foot down when you stop, usually the left, so inseam shouldn't matter. Per doctors instructions, I now ride a trike and the inseam length isn't a problem :wink: I have several friends that have taken the good old electric knife and shaved some foam off the side of their seats to get their feet flat on the ground. You can also take some off the top, but I wouldn't recommend it.

.. Sue

·
Registered
84 Posts
Tell your friend to try boots with thick soles. It makes the difference between barley acceptable and comfortable for me. Removing seat foam makes for an uncomfortable ride.

Hope this helps,
Milt

T

·
0 Posts
Obvious you people have been going to the wrong people to get your seat modified.
I worked the vendor circuit for 3 years and I did seat mods for several hundred folks and NEVER had one come back.

If you don't know what you are doing, with a stock seat, you can make it worse.

If you really want to know how to lower your seat height by 2 inches, email me and I will explain how to do it, since I no longer work the vendor circuit. If you don't like it, you can always go back to square one. But I am sure that if you do it like I explain it, you will never go back.

100's of happy customers and really simple if you know how to do it.

Ride Safe,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts