GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,875 Posts
Nearly 4 years have gone by since the 18+ seat was introduced. Is ANYONE doing any type of LOWER seat mod or “nose job” to the 18+ seat?
You'll want to talk to a custom saddle maker. They may be able to squeak an inch or so out, but that would be it. It is taller than some HDs (maybe half an inch? HD rates with you on the seat, Honda with no one on the seat), but is pretty darn low overall, and the low center of gravity should make you feel more secure, even if on one foot.

If you need it even lower to feel secure, you'd either need to do substantial suspension/frame/bodywork rework or get something like this:

That would give you a pretty secure base as you came to a stop.

·
Registered
2020 Tour Manual, 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan
259 Posts
If the seat wasn't so blasted wide where you stand, it would make a big difference. My Himalayan has a taller seat height but it's narrow and I can flat foot when I stop.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
my corbin dropped me an inch...maybe a little bit more. reach out to wingsoft. they modify stock seats, and see what they could do

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,875 Posts
Do you have a Tour or non-Tour? If Tour, it's going to be VERY difficult to convince any seat builder to shave it down, as there is a heating element inside to deal with.

Otherwise - visit local upholsterers and see what can be done. I know Bill Meyer Saddles and Russell Day Long - both in California - can lower the seat down to the pan if you like. But if you have a heating element, that's going away. And the lower the seat, the harder the ride (less foam between you and the pan).

Corbin and Saddlemen makes their own seat pans (both in California) so you may be able to talk with them to have the pan modified first, then get the seat built. They can both add aftermarket heating - but it won't work with your stock controls.

Short of that, I don't know anyone who can really lower the seat much, and would be willing to do so on a factory heated seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all…

Hartco Seats does custom lower seats for the 18+ GW. They take your weight and inseam measurements to create a custom seat pan and finish with your choice of cover, with heat too.

He remarkably did a custom seat for a lady 5’2” driver on an 18+ GW!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks to all…

Hartco Seats does custom lower seats for the 18+ GW. They take your weight and inseam measurements to create a custom seat pan and finish with your choice of cover, with heat too.

He remarkably did a custom seat for a lady 5’2” driver on an 18+ GW!
There's not one word about pricing. Anyone know what they cost?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,825 Posts
Its hard to believe any foam could get cut from the OEM seat to lower it...Wingsoft's video shows there is not much there as it is...cut any foam out and you would be sitting on the seat pan

·
Registered
2020 Tour Manual, 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan
259 Posts
My experience is not the number of inches of foam but the characteristics of the foam. Thickness doesn't necessarily correlate with comfort. But I agree the 2018+ doesn't have much leeway.

My racing bicycle seat is virtually void of foam and I can sit there for hours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
HartCo says he molds a custom seat pan and form fits it to your needs. He bases the mold by your weight and inseam.

He does not just take a an electric carving knife to the stock foam, as others do. Besides, there is nothing on the OEM seat to carve out. He is not even interested in any part of your stock seat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i had Seth Laam do my seat. He lowered it a little and brought the back forward a little (I’m 5’6”) and it’s all day comfortable. Not bad pricing since he uses the stock pan.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts