GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 wing and have never felt any air coming through the lower vents. I have checked in summer time 90 deg + and winter time 28 deg but I can not feel any air coming through the lower vents on the cowling. The vents by my feet work well. I would like to know if this is normal and Honda just put the vents there for show and tell or if something might be wrong with the bike. I asked the dealer to when I first bought the bike, but they did not have a good answer weather they were supposed to work or not.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Vents ...

If you mean the heating/air-conditioning vent just in front of your shins, your bike must be defective. Those vents on my 2002 put out nice cool 40F. air in the summer when I turn the air-conditioner up full blast and they put out nice warm 120F. air in the winter when I turn on the heater. Great system. :-?

Those vents work about as well as the ram air engine intake on the front of the fairing just below the windshield. Air is forced into this vent and through the intakes into the engine, thereby "super charging" it. :-?

If you'd like a really great deal, I have a bridge for sale leading into New York City.

... those events are WORTHLESS !!! :joke:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an 04 and fell very little if any air. They are just a waste of space.
On my old 1500 I would get a lot of air from the lower vents.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I find them to work for me in the winter. I aim it straight out and feel some warm air on my shins and aim them down a bit in the summer to push what heat I feel down toward the floorboards.

My thoughts are to always have them open somewhat to help the hot air around the engine to escape...

·
Registered
618 Posts
lower vents

Roadrider7,
I have the shelter off my 05 at the moment and the lower vents are just plastic tubes coming from the lower inlets on the front fairing (the upper inlets go to the vents on the dash). Thus, the air will be about ambient in temperature although the air may warm if riding very slow from heat absorded from the engine.
Safe riding.

Rick

·
Registered
356 Posts
I been thinking.... I know that's bad and someone else already had this thought, but here goes...

Why not block the front opening and cut out the inner plastic tubing then force air from the radiator through the vents?

People have talked about reversing the fans which raises the question for me, are the fans drawing air into the fairing cavity or expelling it out to the sides? I haven't had my fans come on yet to be able to determine for myself.

If air flow is going in, why couldn't you put a fan in the vent to draw that air through to the passenger area?

·
Registered
194 Posts
The lower vents are useless. Good place to intall an assesory. The fans blow air from the inside out. Some people reverse them.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks Robert. Long thought. Not sure of the possibilities here, but if the fans were reversed and air came into the fairing cavity and a housing was placed around the shroud and pushed out through that little vent it would be nice until summer hit and the airflow was restricted. In a few months I will abandon that entire thought process and try to pack the vent with ice.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Honda changed the routing of the lower airvents I believe in the 2006 model year. I just helped a buddy work on his 2004 and his airvents went above the radiators on both sides then down to their exit openings. He gets no warm air (except in the summer (heh)) The 2008 and probably the 2006- has the vents going across the exit path of the radiator and are actually called warm air vents in the honda manual. I think I'm getting some warm air out of them in cold weather and that would explain it. They are definately hot in the summer though. I keep them closed in warm weather.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts