GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a lower wind deflector that would help keep the feet warmer in the cooler months.

Almost 70 today but there is a BLIZZARD WARNING out for Wednesday and Thursday, go figure.

Thanks

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I don't know about deflectors, but something that I have found to be
effective is the heat pads that you activate and stick on the toes of
your socks. They are not expensive, last 5 or 6 hours, and are available
at hunting outlets. The only other good bet is heated socks. At least
in Iowa, there is no deflector that is going to keep the old toes comfy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
deflectors

---Tom,i have Baker Built Footwings. Does a decent job. They also make Legs and upper and lower wings. Type in Baker Built. Check their web site out. 8)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Foot Wind Deflectors

I have the Tulsa Enterprises GL1800 Hot Foot. According to their website,
"The Tulsa Enterprises GL1800 Hot Foot is designed to warm up your feet on winter rides and help keep them dry on rainy days! Hot Foot is a simple panel made from vacuum-formed ABS that snaps on underneath the case protector on the Honda GL1800. Hot Foot Channels the heat from the engine directly onto the driver's feet. Passengers will feel the difference Too. the Hot Foot also acts to improve aerodynamics by reducing wind drag. "
I just this morning put them back on my '01 after having them off for summer riding.
From the looks of them they should keep a lot of wind off your feet for winter riding and they worked pretty well this morning on my ride in to work, (at 28° here in KY). I have the Baker Wings under the mirrors
which work very well, and I am making a set of foot wings from polycarbonate, (Lexan) to go on my engine crash bars.
It definitely is all about air flow control. Best Wishes, Don Wittbrodt

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have the Tulsa Enterprises GL1800 Hot Foot on mine also.
I leave them on all year long in case it rains out here. :lol:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Tulsa Hot Foot and Baker Leg Wings. Great combo for the cooler months in Minnesota. Love em! :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Foot Warmers

I do like the foot warmers on the 06, just tuck your feet up close open the door and there you go. Subtle but they do work. Tom

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It appears that the Tulsa hot foot gets the vote. Does anyone have a picture of one installed, the Tulsa web site has one put you can't see it very well.

Thanks again

·
Registered
927 Posts
Does the Tulsa Hot Foot provide any noticeable benefit to those of us that have the comfort package with the hot air foot warmers ?
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
358 Posts
bangladave said:
Tulsa Hot Foot and Baker Leg Wings. Great combo for the cooler months in Minnesota. Love em! :)
Anyone have a photo of both these installed? The photos I've found on websites just don't show good detail.

Ken H>

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have been reading about all the different kinds of deflectors, Tulsa, Baker, and others. Would appreciate some thoughts on a couple of questions I have, mostly as related to cold weather riding.

1- Which device (of the deflectors) do the best job of keeping some air flow off your hands?

2- Which redirects the air flow away from your back (I ride solo thus far)?

3- Are combinations of the hand deflectors, lowers, foot deflectors needed to alleviate the air flow.

While I am mostly concerned about riding in colder temperatures, all suggestions will of course be welcome, and appreciated. :)

Thank you much.

Todd

·
Registered
638 Posts
1. BakerBuilt Mirror Wings

2. BakerBuilt Air Wings

3. 1. + 2. = 3. Best protection from the wind without adding an after market windshield.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here is what my Tulsa Hot Foot looks installed. It is quite easy to take on
and off, (it has a tab that hooks on the bottom and a spring that attaches
to the exhaust guard at the top). If I think about it I will go down to the garage tonight and take some more pics.
I think I am going to add a small extension of lexan to the end of the Tulsa Hot Foot to direct more air away from my feet.
Best Wishes, Don Wittbrodt

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the Tulsa Belly pan and the Tulsa Hot Foot installed on my '01
and I recently changed out the Tulsa mirror wings for the Baker Built mirror wings
because I like the adjustability of the Bakers. Much of my fall riding has
been with the mirror wings closed during my morning commute to work and then open in the afternoon on my way back home.
I haven't had much luck getting my wife to ride with me so I haven't
tested the wind reduction for the co-rider.
I said it before on this forum, I really don't like the Tulsa Tall windshield
I put on about 4 months ago. It doesn't really make the still pocket of
air I had been accustomed to on my GL1200. I think a lot of it is it doesn't fill in the space around the mirror and it's not wide enough nor does it wrap around enough. Just my 2 cents worth. DW

·
Registered
761 Posts
cakeman48 said:
Does the Tulsa Hot Foot provide any noticeable benefit to those of us that have the comfort package with the hot air foot warmers ?
Ride Safe
Ken
I believe they would. They deflect the wind (and rain) off you feet. This allows the engine heat to get to your feet a little more. With an 06 with the foot warmer I would think having the cold air flow deflected away from your feet would really enhance the foot warmer vent. IMHO :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts