GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fitted up an F4 +4 today. On the bike it is much taller than I imagined it would be and I’m a little nervous as I have always had naked bikes in the past and I am not used to looking through a shield. I’m exploring my options. They say this screen is non-adjustable with the ratchet click system on these bikes. Is that because the screen requires more cut out at the lower edges to lower it? I'm thinking I might make some cut-outs and be able to lower it a little.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Kiwi, I think it is because the shield itself is thicker. Also believe F4 recommends using it on the next-to-tallest position. I tried lowering mine manually to the lowest setting and as I bolted it back together it appeared to put too much stress on the nosecone when I reinstalled it. So I gave up and raised it back up. YMMV.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Correct on the assumption you can't lower it because of the lower cutouts on the shield. I have one, kind of looks like there is enough opening on the lower cutouts to be able to lower one click, but haven't tried it, pretty much installed it and left it there. The older models had more of a cutout that allowed it to still be adjustable. The mfr says they changed it because 1) there was a lot of wind getting past the enlarged cutouts and defeating the purpose of having a F4+4, and 2) most customers did like I do - set it and leave it.

Even my old stock windshield I rarely moved it, and that was more to see what the difference in buffeting was. I went to the +4, got used to looking through the shield fairly quickly and now don't worry about it. There are times I get some reflection, consider it a minor annoyance more that anything.

I did add a set of Baker Air-Wings under the mirrors, makes a nice improvement for cold and warm weather riding. I would recommend them. The rest of the air-wings that go on the side and lower mounts - not so much but there are various opinions out there.

Overall - like the addition of the F4+4, and less buffetting for a passenger.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You got it in 1. I got a taller one for my pillion. I also fitted up some Baker wings.
I have 2 days off and I will have to go for a ride and see how it goes.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Kiwi, one other item for you. The +4 really comes in handy when the vehicle ahead of you throws some road debris up and it hits the shield instead of your face. :nojoke: I can live with a ding in the shield vs. my face.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have the +4 and it does take a little bit to get used to as far as looking through it. But, there is no vision distortion what so ever, I haven't been in the rain yet so I can't say how the windshield performs there. I have noticed when the vent is open the wind hits me in the chin/neck area. Not very pleasant went a dragon fly goes through the slicer.:eek:4: Juicy, juicy, juicy.

Tree

·
Registered
355 Posts
I took the stock windshield off my brand new 2009, April 2009. Installed the F4+4. Now have 12K miles and I have in one of two positions. All the way up or half way down (half way down when riding solo).

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"All the way up or half way down (half way down when riding solo). "

So you are saying the F4 +4 is adjustable?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have ridden with a F4+4 for nearly 4 years and 40,000 miles. It's a very good windshield and it's still clear with no visible scratches. I only use water to clean it.

Although there is less buffeting on you and your co-rider, there is more wind on the shield and as a result you will lose some gas mileage. A loss of a couple of mpg is mitigated by a smoother ride for me.

The other time there is a problem seeing through the windshield is riding through a very light mist or fog and the water doesn't bead up fast enough to clear the windshield. I can only think of 2-3 times in those 4 years that it's been an issue. I was still able to see well to enough to continue riding, just not as clear.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yes, the picture here is all the way up. When I am alone (most of the time) I drop it down till the wider part hits the rubber around the mirrors.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Apparently the newer F4+4 shields are not adjustable; mine is not. Here is a quote from F4 Customs website regarding the F4+4.

"• Fits 2001-2010 GL1800 models
• Thickness: .177"
• Clear
• Same angle as stock windshield
• 1" wider per side than stock windshield
• 4" taller than stock windshield
• No Longer Adjustable

This shield was designed to give the upmost in protection for both the rider and co-rider. This shield is designed to seriously reduce, and in some cases eliminate, head buffeting and intercom noise. It is 4" taller than the stock shield raised to its highest adjustment point, and also features an additional 2" in total width. Retains the same stock angle. This shield is manufactured from high optical grade polycarbonate to guarantee that there are no distortions. It is also coated with our proprietary hard coat that makes our shields the most chemical and scratch resistant windshields on the market. Vent included. This shield is only compatible with the F4-MOD-VENT."

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
gas mileage

Just did a 230 mile or so ride last weekend, some slab, some twisties, some stop and go. As I recall I got 42.5 mpg on an 02, my riding partner with an 07 and a windbender windshield got 43.5 mpg. So really not much of a drop in mpg due to increased shield size with a +4. And I'm younger, probably more heavy wristed on the throttle.

Works pretty decent in the rain, still not as good as a cage with windshield wipers but it is a motorcycle after all. The cleaner that F4 sells works pretty darn good at getting bug guts off and not leaving a film. (you can use hydrogen peroxide on the bugs also. Can even use windex without worry)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts