GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note I sent to Murgie

Last year you posted you lowered your forks in the triple tree. What did you find? The reason I ask is that my bikes, last owner put traction rear shocks and progressive fork "springs" on. Well it is now stiffer and raised in the back and scraps pegs often. The progressive weaker fork springs are setting lower. But snappy. Did the fork adjustment help raise the bike and how much did you lower the tube in the tree?

Any one else care to comment?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I'm a little puzzled as what you are trying to accomplish. I believe the purpose of raising the forks in the triple tree is for the purpose of leveling the bike. That will also change the steering/handling characteristics. Lowering is not usually good unless you have done something to raise the front of the bike. Traxxion recommends this with their modified forks. When I ran progressive springs in my forks the front of the bike was higher, not lower. They are stiffer, not weaker. As for the rear you can use the hydraulics to lower the bike. If the bike is indeed higher, that causes the pegs to scrape less, not more. That combination will improve the bikes suspension, not damage it. Could be that the rear spring is too heavy for your weight. That would be my guess from hundreds of miles away. Again, lowering = more peg scraping, not less. Looks like you have some investigating to do. Good luck.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having tried most set ups, this one is different. The Progressive Fork Springs are weaker compress more (low speeds tight turns) than Traction or Monotube, lower to the ground also. So instead of buying or changing tubs I was trying for a quick fix.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Sounds you need better springs in the front. Not a big deal to change either. And... make sure the proper amount of oil is in the forks. :thumbup:

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lower front forks

Dropped them 8mm as Murgi suggested. To my surprise it made a big difference. Less twitchy, less dragging pegs. Since it took 0$ and have a hour..

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
To keep us all on same page, the Honda spec is to place the forks in the tree so that the top of each tube is flush with top bridge; thus,the caps are fully above the top bridge. Traxxion springs typically lift the front and thus Traxxion often sets the forks so that the tube tops are 10mm or .40" above the bridge with the caps above that to restore the geometry related handling. So, lowering the forks in the clamps raises the bike and raising the forks in the clamps lowers the bike. You can drop the forks so that the caps are flush in the top bridge, some trikes may use taller caps to take this even further. But, small changes make big differences and handeling goes sour quickly.

sadkins needs to verify the full relaxed lenght of his springs and spacers to compare to what Progresive specifies. Adjusting fork height to compensate for sacked springs will yield poor, even unsafe handling.

prs

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know the mathematics of what happened, but. Test road bike seems fine. PS The caps were flush.

PSS Murgi if you have the instructions for Traction springs please send them to me. I have them, just don,t remember the install or if the Left spring came in two parts or if spacers came from Honda or traction. If all I have to do is drop the forks open the top cap, put new springs on and refill...

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Try this page: >CLICK ME<

Please clarify what you mean by "drop the forks" in this thread. Does the end result of "drop the forks" mean that the fork caps are above the top bridge or below the top bridge?

THX

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
8mm into the top of top bridge. Just above the bolts. These are New Progressive fork Springs with less then 5000mi. So they are not worn out, just softer then Traction fork springs or Progressive Mono Tube. They bring the bike lower then the other options. Twitchy, I like to try in the Apls. 90mph (Autobahn speeds) I don't notice a thing.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
8mm into the top of top bridge. Just above the bolts. These are New Progressive fork Springs with less then 5000mi. So they are not worn out, just softer then Traction fork springs or Progressive Mono Tube. They bring the bike lower then the other options. Twitchy, I like to try in the Apls. 90mph (Autobahn speeds) I don't notice a thing.
Are they actually a progressive spring rate or just made by the company Progressive? I went with a Traxxion 1.2KG fixed rate spring and it definitely raised the front so I have my tubes pushed up in the tree so that it returned it to stock geometry.

Stock springs are something ridiculously weak like .8KG. I can't imagine any aftermarket spring being weaker than stock.

Do you know what spring rates are in the springs you put in?

Unless you are a really small / light guy (140) pounds or something, I'd expect you'd want at least 1.0KG if you were going to go to the trouble to change them. I'm 225 and I love the 1.2KG springs.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. If anything, Progressive springs will raise the front. They have only one rate and on my '02 it raised the front from stock. If you are taking the word of the previous owner, maybe he's confused on what was put in the front end. Check to see if they are progressive (easiest on the left fork, just remove the cap and use a stick magnet to pull the spacer, washer and spring) - if so they will be thicker and progressively wound like OEM.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last owner put Traction shock and heavy spring on rear (two up and trailer), Progressive spring on front. Giving it a Stiff/soft balance. I Having ridden these before Traction and Mono tube upgrades on my other 06 . It's a Progressive spring. If I was under 180# it would be ideal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts