·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the scoop from the Lowrance site:

What changes are made in this update?
  • Improved Hard Drive reliability
    Improved USB support for DVD map updates
    Additional enhancements for address searching - now searches the entire state if no address is found within the entered city
Includes all features from previous updates, including:
  • Added support for multiple languages
    Improved performance on finding addresses and intersections
    Added the ability to edit latitude/longitude coordinates for a saved waypoint
    Added a Picture Viewer utility
    Enhanced Mac OS X support
    Adjusted backlighting settings
    Enhanced address searches within municipalities in Canada
    Added route vias. Includes traveling salesman auto sort feature
    Routing is up to 10x faster, uses less memory, routes farther without “Insufficient memory”
    Address searching for some Canadian addresses is improved
    Fixed elevation saving with user waypoints
    Added qwerty, accents keyboards
    Fixed some audio playback bugs, added ability to fast forward and reverse in a song
    Added audio search
    Overlay improvements to allow box removal, auto hide, id3 tag info support
    Modified Turn preview to work in 3D mode
    Modified the Find menu to streamline usage – goes straight to list by default
    GIF support added for skins
    Modified volume control to have a master volume – audio skin changes the master by default
    Added support for multiple find menu, skin changes to go with new POI database
    Modified the Find feature to work smarter to always return some nearest results
    Added feature for skin to toggle navigation mode from Turn-By-Turn to off road
    Added an "advanced" mode skin
    Added support for importing GPX files
    Added support for skin files in XML format
    Voice directions now read exit numbers, state highway names and streets that are named with numbers
    Added 3D map mode – press on the north indicator arrow to cycle through the 3 modes of map orientation – north up, track up and 3D track up
    Address search simplified – more intuitive
    Address search allows for City/County filter
    POI nearest search allows for a name filter
    Added Intersection searching
    Address book system replaces waypoint system - each contact can now contain an Address and Phone number
    Music browsing uses icon view for simplified song selection
    Music browser opens to currently playing directory
    Recent Destinations allows for removal of entries
    Other miscellaneous enhancements
System Requirements:
  • iWAY™ 500C update software will run on any Java-enabled machine running Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP/2003, Mac OS X, or Linux.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Just did the upgrade, gonna try it out before I send it back. Seems to lock on satelites faster and more satelites. Also calculates faster. This was the problem I was having and it kept shutting off and resetting. Thanks Jon, hopefully this will work. Tim

B

·
0 Posts
Thanks Jon,

I downloaded and installed it, but haven't tried it. Maybe tomorrow I'll sit by the window and see how it works.

·
Registered
596 Posts
deleted

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks Jon, went to the Lowrance site and printed out the update instructions but have not yet had a chance to update my iWay. May wait and see if others have any problems.

Thanks again, Bo Hancock

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up, but it seems the update is not much more than a bunch of language files. It did give me the opportunity to redo my overlays...

You would think that by now Lowrance would allow someone as dumb as me to decide that I do not need, Itallian, German, Spanish, French... and so forth. But there is no option that I could see to allow me to not add all the languages I don't want or need. It would sure cut down the update time.

But then who knows, I might get stuck in Little Italy and need the language....

Willy

·
Registered
227 Posts
According to someone on another forum that spoke with Lowrance tech support, the new software ver 1.8.0 for the iWay 500C also:

1. Includes a new installer program that eliminates the boot-loader method effectively decreasing the update time by about half. It also allows the installer to delete and rename files already on the hidden partition. Because of this new method, the file list on the disk is more controllable for Lowrance and (hopefully) avoids problems where files got corrupted or something because they couldn't be deleted before.

2. Fixed the long street name bug. It will now scroll long street names for the "current road" data overlay instead of rebooting.

See full discussion at:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topi ... C_ID=78069

Bill

·
Registered
713 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, John ! Great news for me as for the last upgrade, I had to go to my friends house and use his Windoze machine to do it. Now (tomorrow) I will use my Mac :D

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Tanks as well Jon. Now I have something to look forward to tonight after work that will keep me indoors, instead of in the garage finishing up the bike. Althought, given that it is 9 degrees out right now, it really did not take much to keep me in.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Jon, will mine already have the new version on it? :lol:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yaaaa-hoooo :D

I have been reading up and studying online. I am ready to wade in.

BTW, I have changed my mind and gone with a Serius system. The sports choices made the difference.

Thanks again for all your help Jon.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Thanks Jon for the heads up. I am installing it now with the other computer.

Question? Can you make up a system for my Vulcan that will enable me to hear my Iway through my Ed Sets in my helmet? In other words can you wire the audio portion of a auto wiring harness to the Ed Set cord for my helmet. If this can be done I will get the parts needed and send them to you or if you have them I will buy it from you and pay you the labor to get it hooked up.

Let me know how much and if it is possible.

Also do you know it the wiring plug on the back of the 500 will be the same one on the 600?

Thanks, Ross

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Did 350 miles with the iway today after the upgrade. Did not reboot once, I took different routes then it did and it recalculated very fast. It tried to get me to do a uturn once and after I passed that turnaround it recalculated my new route.

This is my third unit and I have been having a lot of problems with it rebooting and freezing up everytime I took it out. I'm not exaggerating, every trip. It worked flawlessly today. Hopefully this upgrade worked out some of these problems. Gonna try it tomorrow again on a route that it screwed up on last weekend. Tim

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Whoo hooo I can use the Mac PowerBook now!

Thanks for the news.

Take Care

John S.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Darn darn darn.

I just did the upgrade and was looking at all the language options and my fingernail must have touched the 'Dutch' line. OOPS!

HELP - HOW do I reset the languages to English?

Thanks.

PS I tried the online manuals and have not found the answer.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Problem solved.

Don't know what the buttons said but I finally found 'US ENGLISH' clicked it, clicked DONE and now I can read the menus again.

WHEW, I'm glad I got that fixed.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you're using my skins, press the Menu button three times until you see the button with the mouth on it (2nd from the bottom on the RH side)

You should see 'English' as the top button choice for the Text - select it and press the only button on the screen (lower RH corner). US English should be the top choice on the voice screen - select it and press the button in the lower RH corner.

(Unfortunately, they don't give us a 'Canadian English' option, so British or US will have to do)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Thanks Jon, I think that's what I must have done. Unfortunately with all my hunting and pecking at Dutch menus I also cleared out my waypoints. This isn't all bad as it was time I did a clean up. Now I'm forced to build it up again - I'll start close to home: are you still at the same address as last summer?

Have you had a chance to try out the photo feature?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts