GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have a quick question for some of the mechanical members here on this board. While taking off my front tire due to a flat I noticed that my LT front fork seal is leaking. The anti-dive is shot also and so they both need to be fixed. My question is simple; did the failure of the anti-dive cause the Lt front fork seal to go? Or did the failure of the Lt front seal cause the anti-dive to crap out? Either way it is going to cost me 300.00 to fix and I need it to get done. The bike is an 02 with 69,898 on it so no warranty.

Thanks Gumby.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,788 Posts
Take the forks off of the bike and take them apart or have the dealer take them apart and replace the slide bushing and the seals. Install a set of Traxxion fork springs and disable the anti-dive. With the proper spring rates you don't need the anit-dive as the bike will not dive all that much and in fact you won't be able to tell the difference as far as the front end diving under braking goes and you will never have a problem with the anti-dive again... you will feel a big difference in how the bike rides and handles.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
finleypj said:
did the failure of the anti-dive cause the Lt front fork seal to go? Or did the failure of the Lt front seal cause the anti-dive to crap out?
Sorry about your expensive problem. To answer your queation, the anti-dive valve won't affect the fork seals. If it did, everyone would have leaking seals as the anti-dive keeps the fork from compressing. If it's bad, it's the same as if it were working all the time. I also doubt that a leaking seal would cause the AD to malfunction. That problem has to do with the o'rings on the AD plunger - they swell up and bind it in it's bore.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks; I am in NW Florida and going to look and see if I can't get my freind in MD to send me some Traxtion springs. If the seals need repalced I might as well start the Traxtion converstion. Now to disable the Anti-dive. I know its on the forum somewhere.

Thanks again.
Gumby.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This may seem strange; however I owe a dealership (Motovations Cycle) my buisness. On more than one time have they bent over back wards to help me out of a jam. So I will order them from Dan and just out of loyalty if for no other reason..

Gumby.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Rebuild is pretty cheap if you can find all the parts.
There seems to be a lack of concensus on the ability of a stuck anti-dive valve to cause a fork seal failure. At the time, I thought my blown left fork seal was related to a stuck anti-dive unit. I am not so sure now as there are respected opinions both ways on that subject. Max (in the suspension buisiness) thinks they are not related.
I can say that for my driving style, the anti-dive unit does produce a very noticable reduction in the rate of nose dive. It does not lock up the front suspension as some have said. I have progressive springs and I still bottom the front suspension under hard braking. The anti-dive valve reduces the rate at which the front suspension hits the end of travel. For me, the anti-dive seems to stretch the time it takes the front end to bottom and lessens the severity of the impact when the end of travel is reached. Under hard braking, it takes 1 or 2 seconds for the front suspension to bottom out. Without the anti-dive active, the front suspension bottoms pretty hard in a half a second or so.
Here is some rebuild info if you are going to try it yourself.
Do a search of "anti-dive" and you will find a lot of information and opinions to sort through and you can decide which comments ring true.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65429&highlight=rebuild+antidive

1 - 8 of 8 Posts