GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2005 GW with Champion trike kit, solid axle. A maintenance sheet from Champion supplied by the previous owner states that the shaft spline and universal joint should be lubed every 3-5k miles if equipped with lube nipples. I can clearly see the universal joint has no such nipples but am not sure where to look on the shaft. Has anyone seen one, found one?

·
Registered
400 Posts
You might have to turn the drive shaft all the way around to see if there is any on the U joints.Got to pull the shaft to do the spline.
I have a Motor Trike that has them but had to pull the shaft to get to the fittings.I keep mine lubed about every 10,000 miles got almost 100,000 out of them

·
Registered
798 Posts
Wife and I each own a GW MT conversion. I lube the fittings, fore and aft every 4,000. Roughly. BTW, I’ve never had to pull the drivelines on either bike. Not a project I particularly enjoy, but I get it done nonetheless.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Wife and I each own a GW MT conversion. I lube the fittings, fore and aft every 4,000. Roughly. BTW, I’ve never had to pull the drivelines on either bike. Not a project I particularly enjoy, but I get it done nonetheless.
So do you not grease the splines or have you figured out a way to do it without removing the driveshaft? And if you have, please share with all of us. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
My Roadsmith does indeed have (2) two grease zerks...So every season, I place my front wheel up against a non movable cement block, jack up the rear [place two jack stands under trike] and give each zerk a couple of shots of grease....I believe those zerks are there for a reason, so I take advantage of them as use um....
Ronnie

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
TOO ROADSMITH: How often do you recommend, giving the zirks a shot of grease, in miles OR length of time

Ronnie

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
TOO ROADSMITH: How often do you recommend, giving the zirks a shot of grease, in miles OR length of time

Ronnie
and what kind of grease do you recommend???
Please answer ASAP cause it's time for me to get the job done B4 riding season starts.......

Ronnie

·
Registered
717 Posts
and what kind of grease do you recommend???
Please answer ASAP cause it's time for me to get the job done B4 riding season starts.......

Ronnie
Those two fittings are positioned to pretty well fully lube the entire spline area Ronnie. I give them several shots during my "winter maintenance ritual". It gets a bit messy squirting out that little relief hole on the shaft end but I like to flush out some of the old grease. As I've said before, use Black Moly grease. You can find it at any good auto supply and probably at other places also.. The Moly component doesn't break down in gears and splines as quickly as normal general purpose grease.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Those two fittings are positioned to pretty well fully lube the entire spline area Ronnie. I give them several shots during my "winter maintenance ritual". It gets a bit messy squirting out that little relief hole on the shaft end but I like to flush out some of the old grease. As I've said before, use Black Moly grease. You can find it at any good auto supply and probably at other places also.. The Moly component doesn't break down in gears and splines as quickly as normal general purpose grease.
Thanks Rush,
I pick'd up a tube this morning of Black Moly and will jack up the rear of my trike this afternoon and give it a couple of shot of grease.. Many thank you's for your comeback help...It's pouring rain now as we speak, and just got a NO HEAT service call... I do heating/plumbing! BUT retired so I don't have to do service too much any more... I'll let you know how it works out!!!!!!!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
OK Rush,
I finally got the chance to lift the trike up off her rear wheels, yesterday, [3/18] (placed jack stands under) and shoot a couple of shots of Molly up into the jerks, till I could see some coming out the seams.. I'm now all set for this coming riding season... THANK YOU for your recommendation of using"black Molly" grease...

Ronnie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts