GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Do you lub the rear drive splines?

• Yes, usually during rear tire changes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope, never

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only serious failure I had on my 89 GL-1500 was stripping the rear driver shaft splines while on an SCMA Border-to-Border ride near Canyon Dam, CA. On that bike, there was no maintenance requirement to lube these splines, but after I stripped mine, I made sure they are greased at every tire change. I think I had about 80K miles on the odometer when that happened.
:croc:

I admit I have not looked in the service manual for my GL-1800 for this specific maintenance task. Is this required by Honda, is this just a wise thing to do per the GL-1800 community, or is it not required due to some design improvment?
:hun1:

If you voted "Nope, never", how many miles do you have on your bike?
:?:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Which are you refering to?? The actual driveshaft?? I don't believe there is a service interval for that, but it might not be too bad an idea if you've got the final drive off.... :?

G

·
What splines?

When the rear tire is removed, there are no splines there. The only "splines" I know of are the gears in the final drive and they are constantly lubed via the final drive fluid.

I can't imagine any other "splines" that are accessable to lube without major disassembly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 98 Valkyrie had splines that were exposed when rear wheel was removed and these had to be greased. Not sure about the gl1800.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
To get to the drive line splines on the wing, all you need to do is jack up the bike, take off the wheel, disconnect the lines to the brake calipers, take out the fuel tank, pull off the shock and adjuster, then take the rear end loose. Do it every time I check the tire pressure .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is what the splines look like when you finally get them out to grease them - I think you can see the problem. I took mine out because it was dirty. Sure....... 8)

That 1500 was a whole different animal. It had a thru axle and an open drive line. The 1800 has an enclosed drive line. Hence, no grease.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Dam thorght i was on the ST site!! do splines on that !!!

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
I only did mine when I had to remove the swing arm allembly to repair the swing arm bearings and drive shaft boot. They were still well lubed from the factory with what appeared to be moly paste and that is what I used to reassemble.

Sort of like Nigel; I tought I was on the VTX board for a second; the VTX bikes have splines on the final drive output that mesh with the wheel and requires fresh moly paste with every re-assembly (tire change). I think you may cause more wear and tear than you prevent by removing the final drive unit that ofen on the wing.

prs

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The drive shaft on both the GL-1500 and GL-1800 are both fully enclosed so both are shielded from most of the crud from the outside world. On the GL-1500, once you have the tire off, you only had to remove four bolts to remove the drive shaft housing to get to the U-joints and drive line splines. It was also a good time to grease up the vibration dampening pins in the rear axle assembly as they tended to dry up and gather a little dirt over time. Not sure if or how this was changed on the GL-1800.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Mark Rowell said:
The drive shaft on both the GL-1500 and GL-1800 are both fully enclosed so both are shielded from most of the crud from the outside world. On the GL-1500, once you have the tire off, you only had to remove four bolts to remove the drive shaft housing to get to the U-joints and drive line splines. It was also a good time to grease up the vibration dampening pins in the rear axle assembly as they tended to dry up and gather a little dirt over time. Not sure if or how this was changed on the GL-1800.
Seems like I read something about the GL1500 splines needing to be greased even though it was not specified in the Honda service schedule. Stew-O may can add to that; it may have been in one of his GWRRA articles. :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts