GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I use a silicone spray. Works like a champ. Most hardware stores carry Eazy Slide which is a teflon spray and that works well too. I would also mention that these are both dry lubes so do not attract dust and do not inhibit electrical conductance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You can also use some dielectric grease from the local auto parts store.

·
Registered
243 Posts
While dielectric grease is good for protecting connections in general, I would not recommend it in this application. I have seen situations where the grease forms an airtight seal that can make it almost impossible to disconnect connectors due to the vacuum effect.

That might not happen in this instance, but IMHO, I like the silicone spray idea much better.

Kirk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have found that it will gets easier the more times that you you use them. Mine was very difficult at first also. Just be careful not to bend the pins.

·
Registered
292 Posts
How about KY jelly :D

Sorry..... Its been a long day and I'm slap-happy.

The silicone would probably be lighter than the dielectric grease, but may eventualy wear off faster.

I guess I would try a tiny dab of di-grease on the male pins, and a tiny amount on the inside of the backshell.

Save the KY :wink:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't like WD-40 for things like this because it seems to attract dirt and it is only good for a very short time. It is not really a lubricant, but a moisture displacement.
I have used dielectric grease and is OK, but there might be something better.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
jhl said:
You can also use some dielectric grease from the local auto parts store.
Attracts too much dust.
A little silicone goes a long way. Use electrical contact cleaner from time to time also. After a while it will break in and will want to jump apart on it's own; then you'll want to know how to hold it together...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts