GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we Short Bus riders know, the Wingabago isn't the only motorcycle on The Darkside.

(As I've mentioned before, at the Iron Butt Rally checkpoint in Sacramento last summer I saw Darkside tires on Hondapotamii, FJRs, a Connie and even on a BMW1600GTL.)

Early last Fall I bought one for Lucille and it's been sitting in the garage, waiting for her MT to wear out.
Yesterday I finally grew impatient and made the change.

I think Rose is a little jealous because Lucille's tire is bigger: a 205/50-17, though it's not a RF. (Yup, it's a Yokohama Avid Envigor.)

Road test will be later this morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Holy mother of cow that's a fat tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
You gotta be crazy putting a car tire on a motorcycle!!! You're going to crash and burn!! :)
BTW, I have heard of a guy getting 45,000 miles using a car tire on an FJR--- obviously he was touring and not running hard on a lot of twisty, curvy roads.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Thumbs up on the 205. Properly balanced, I bet it lasts umpteen soft and smooth miles.

The nice thing about my Tiregard TPMS (hint hint) is that on a hot day I can glance at the little screen and see how much the tire pressure, and tire temperature, has increased since getting underway and make a judgement about whether or not to start out at a little less pressure.

My buddy and I started in the Detroit area and rode to the IBA party in Jacksonville in March, 2013. The temp. was in the 30's when we left and my TPMS said 30 psi in the rear and 40 in the BT45. By the time we got to Georgia both were blinking off the scale and the rough ride was driving me nuts.

I start out with 26 in the Michelin and within 10 miles the pressure has increased by 5 and I start to think that is why the center treads are wearing faster than the outer.

gramps

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Thumbs up on the 205. Properly balanced, I bet it lasts umpteen soft and smooth miles.

The nice thing about my Tiregard TPMS (hint hint) is that on a hot day I can glance at the little screen and see how much the tire pressure, and tire temperature, has increased since getting underway and make a judgement about whether or not to start out at a little less pressure.

My buddy and I started in the Detroit area and rode to the IBA party in Jacksonville in March, 2013. The temp. was in the 30's when we left and my TPMS said 30 psi in the rear and 40 in the BT45. By the time we got to Georgia both were blinking off the scale and the rough ride was driving me nuts.

I start out with 26 in the Michelin and within 10 miles the pressure has increased by 5 and I start to think that is why the center treads are wearing faster than the outer.

gramps
To avoid the tire pressure problem you described, it is best to base your tire pressure to a cold tire reference temperature and make mathematical adjustments accordingly. Some folks use 65* and some use 70*. I'm not sure it makes much difference, but here's how it works:

Determine the pressure you want to run in the tire at 65* or 70*. For every 10* difference in air temperature for a cold tire, adjust the tire pressure by 1 psi. For example, using your situation above (~35*) and using a cold tire reference temperature of 65*, the temperature difference is 30*; therefore, the cold tire pressure would be 3 psi lower than your desired reference temperature. So, if your desired 65* tire pressure is 32 psi, it would be 29 psi at 35*. What happens is the tire pressure increases by 1 psi for every 10* rise in tire air temperature. That is why your tire pressures were too high when your tires were at their normal operating temperature. Likewise, when it is 95* outside, you would set your cold tire pressure to 35 psi to be equivalent to 32 psi at 65*. That 1 psi/10* rule tracks remarkably well. Hope that is understandable.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Thanks Elron, Your explanation is clear and very well written. :thumbup:

gramps

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Well good for her!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts