GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first it didn't seem lucky but in retrospect it couldn't have been better.

We took off last Thursday for the west coast. Day one was Brookings. As usual the wing ran perfect and my buddy just put a brand new rear tire on his HF so we had a good chance to make the 4500 miles without the need for repairs.
Friday we stopped in Pierre for lunch. I climbed aboard and hit the start button, the engine made one spin and everything went dead. The oil and F1 light came on but just flickered weakly.
I happen to look up and here was a guy with a garage shirt on. I asked him if there was a Napa or other autoparts store nearby. Sure enough 600 feet away was Napa. I ran over and purchased a $2 test light and verified quickly that the battery did in fact go south.
Again another run over to Napa and I had a new battery. From that point on everything was roses.
I looked at the Odometer and it read 111110 - it could have waited one more mile. But then I would have had to walk a mile. ;)

So 10 years and 111k is not bad. Never used a tender or charger. In fact I never touched this batter once except to add wiring for the gps and hand warmers.
I said even if the battery went bad in my shop I would have a mile drive to get a new one. In this case the only way it could have been better would be if it died in the Napa parking lot.

As far as warnings - there were none. This battery worked no different than the brand new one. Even after sitting dormant for 2-3 months it always spun the engine like the brand new battery.

On a side note my buddy's plan on the tire didn't work to good. In just 2500 miles his rear tire was shot and we ended up stopping at a Ferguson shop for a new Dunlop.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Wow, my battery is 5 years old. I've been expecting it to crap out so I bought a new one last HDL sale and have it on the shelf. I hope it will be ok there for 5 more years.

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Mine was just replaced as well and I can say it did in fact give some warning signs. I just chose to ignore them longer than I should. 1st, the CB started acting flaky. Sometime I would get a mythical CB error message, but it would go away if I restarted the engine. Then the bike started this period of slow starts and sometimes no starts on first button push. I would release the button, hit it a second time and the bike would fire right up (first push usually was a single crank, then nothing). Then the cruise control started acting up. Again, I ignored all these as a battery problem and figured there was something wrong individually with each item and never really troubleshot the problem properly. Finally the other day, I get home and shut the bike off. Ten minutes later I go to move it and I get the click, click, click sound after about a 1/2 a crank on the engine. My lovely wife picked up a new battery while she was out running errands and as soon as she gets home the bike fires right up (with the bad battery). I change it anyway and it now sounds like the motor is on steroids with its cranking speed. No more mythical problems. CB, cruise and everything else all work perfectly. The battery was 4 years old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts