GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... how many folks have done this?

I know the spoiler serves no real aerodynamic purpose and the luggage rack doesn't hold much weight so there are lots of folks who prefer to keep it bare in the back.

That said... My bike had a luggage rack on it when I bought it, so I'm stuck with it, and frankly... I don't mind. After all, I had a rack on my 1500 and used it quite a bit.

I'm currently looking at a really good deal on a spoiler and I'm considering it primarily for the extra running/brake lights, however, I'm wondering if it will make the trunk lid way too busy looking.

If anyone has both on their trunks... feel free to chime in or post the pics if you have them available.

Arguments for or against are welcome too.

Thanks guys,

Bob

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rear Spoiler

I put one on mine and really like the way it looks. It's nice to have the brake light in it for additional visibility too.

I added them both at the same time so it was a bit heavier but don't seem to have any problems with the extra weight. Some have mentioned trunk chaffing but that is easily corrected.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Have both on my '06. Use a Kury rack bag when traveling. Never weighed it but it is usually completely full. The spoiler light is wired both tail/brake and includes a Kisan modulator.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I have both and think it breaks up the look a little of the trunk :thumbup:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have the Kury rack and the Hondaline spoiler and think they make the rear of the bike look good. If you go with both, consider using spacers on the rack. If you don't, cleaning under the rack is tough.

Black n Chrome

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I don't have the luggage rack but think they look good with both on them.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Bought bike with spoiler.
Added Kury flat rack to brake up paint color a bit.
Then added risers to keep from scrapping my knuckles when cleaning bike.
Never used rack.
Bought used Trunk lid.(tired of getting my hands chopped up)
Had shipped to Road Trip Essentials for color matching (perfect match)
Sold Rack
Sold old trunk lid (with holes)
Broke even after said and done.

Happy now with just spoiler.
Running Brake lights that are in most cages line of sight.
Added a back off unit so "Hopefully" the inattentive drivers will see it and not rear end my old arse.

What else do ya need to know.:shrug:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Disagree that the luggage rack doesn't hold much. I have both spoiler and luggage rack. Crossed the country with my s/o and easily 25-30 pounds on the rack. The only problem encountered was trunk lid wear on the bottom edges. Solved that with simple, cheap, stick-on, chair-leg pads.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have both on my bike. Use the rack with a Kuryakyn bag to carry rain gear and camera, hats etc.. Spoiler is set up as a break light only for added visabilty for other drivers in the back. :thumbup:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Disagree that the luggage rack doesn't hold much. I have both spoiler and luggage rack. Crossed the country with my s/o and easily 25-30 pounds on the rack. The only problem encountered was trunk lid wear on the bottom edges. Solved that with simple, cheap, stick-on, chair-leg pads.
I don't know what brand of rack you use,But my kury rack had a decal that stated "Not to exceed 5 lbs" on it when I bought it.I didn't buy it to load it.I bought it for decoration.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have both on the 2006 and only the wing on the 2010. I added Electrical Connections LED bulb system that provides both brake and turn signal information at car driver eye level to both bike's wing on the trunk.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Kury rack and spoiler. We carry our rain gear, gloves etc in a rack bag. The light in the spoiler is a running and brake light. I've added a brake light modulator to the spoiler light for an eye level attention getter.
Cliff.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I got the spoiler for the extra brake light. Got the rack to carry a bag of light weight stuff. Work great together, just hard to wash the bike with the rack in the way.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I too have both and really like them. The spoiler is a must for the extra taillight and mine does turn signals too.

·
Registered
212 Posts
After having both on my 1500, I decided to only put the spoiler on my 1800… I really didn’t need the rack but wanted the extra light on the back for visibility. I’ve since added a back-off unit that blinks the spoiler light making me even more visible. And, I like the looks of the spoiler.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have the same setup as Mr X....only in black. I've loaded the Kury rack bag with what I would estimate as at least 15 pounds and never had a problem. I did this on my '03 and my '06. I have clear tubing inserted in the trunk lid weather seal and the fuzzy side of velcro on the rub points.

·
Banned
208 Posts
I don't know what brand of rack you use,But my kury rack had a decal that stated "Not to exceed 5 lbs" on it when I bought it.I didn't buy it to load it.I bought it for decoration.

Rule of thumb, not to exceed weight X 10 (emergency use, rare occasion) / 2 (to play it safe) so that rack is good for 25 pounds easy...:joke:

·
Registered
2019 Tour DCT
155 Posts
rack and spoiler

i have the kuryakan trunk rack and spoiler and I think it really adds to the look of the bike. Also love the added lights inthe back from the spoiler light. Dont use the rack for much but do place light items on it.. and just bought a bag for the rack for an upcoming trip.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts